Guest Davief

457 requirements?? Pls help???

Guest Davief

Hi all, I've been in Perth for 2 weeks now with my wife and 2 kids on a 457 visa. We are a little confused as to the health care requirements we need? We have registered with medicare and I have read in another forum that this will suffice the clause on visa stating adequate health care etc etc. We would like someone to clarify this and tell us in simple terms what exactly this covers us for? We also have a basic policy with medibank which for all 4 of us is $220 a month. We could do with some advise on whether to stop medibank policy or keep it or find cheaper (if anyone can help there too ), or keep it up as our 2 year old son needs his tonsils out. You'll know that the price of everything here has went up 10 fold in the last while here, thus why we are trying to find out if can save a little every month while we are getting set up. Although we wld like to have cheaper health care, we are also aware that we want to be covered should anything untoward happen to any of us.

We would appreciate any advise given.

Cheers Davie Electrician

How it all works has been confusing me too.... From what I hear, Medicare here will look after you if you're ill, but you may have to wait a while for Medicare treatment. I'm told an additional health policy is a must to help with the things Medicare won't cover. The list of what Medicare will cover seems to be at http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/claims/what-cover.jsp

Not sure on the stipulations for your visa though.

Hi all, I've been in Perth for 2 weeks now with my wife and 2 kids on a 457 visa. We are a little confused as to the health care requirements we need? We have registered with medicare and I have read in another forum that this will suffice the clause on visa stating adequate health care etc etc. We would like someone to clarify this and tell us in simple terms what exactly this covers us for? We also have a basic policy with medibank which for all 4 of us is $220 a month. We could do with some advise on whether to stop medibank policy or keep it or find cheaper (if anyone can help there too ), or keep it up as our 2 year old son needs his tonsils out. You'll know that the price of everything here has went up 10 fold in the last while here, thus why we are trying to find out if can save a little every month while we are getting set up. Although we wld like to have cheaper health care, we are also aware that we want to be covered should anything untoward happen to any of us.

We would appreciate any advise given.

Cheers Davie Electrician

Medicare covers all hospital covers apart from elective temp visas med insurance are very expensive apart from ambulance a must if you are happy with the medibank cool but keep ambulance cover it's a must as a call out is a blooming dear taxi $700 job

Guest Davief

Thanks for the reply's folks!!! I'll check that out. cheers

Guest lesleybruck

hi davie i have noticed you are an electrician, my hubby is doing his test today and just wondered what the work is like in perth and the pay any info would be helpful cheers

Guest Davief

There is lots of work here if you want it. What test is he doing? Ive only just started work so cant say too much about it except there are things done here that you would not get away with in UK.

Guest lesleybruck

he has done the vetassess test which tests if eligable for visa, he already had qualifications checked by them but then had to do a practical test an sometimes you have to also do an interview over the phone with them but not sure yet if he has to do that part.

He said it went well there was a few questions where you needed a calculator so not sure about those but the actual practical went well so fingers crossed.

Did you have to go to college when you got to oz to get your licence before you could work?