White goods - where to buy?

phil

As the thread title really - we'll be moving in to a rental property some time in the next few weeks and will need to get the usual white goods - microwave, fridge-freezer and washing machine.

I've looked at Rick Hart, Harvey Norman and appliances.online.com.au anyone recommend any other stores I should have a browse of?

We really like Rick Hart Seconds in Osborne Park - this is for stock that maybe has a scratch on its side, or just doesn't come with a box! RH 2nds is usually our first port of call.

The Good Guys is good as well - if you do some searching and find the lowest price on an item (and can prove it, eg. direct them to the website etc showing the price) they will match it or go lower. TGG is also located in Osborne Park (well, the one we go to anyhow).

Thanks! That's the kind of thing, we used to buy display models and the like in the UK - a small scratch down the side of a fridge you can never see isn't the kind of thing that bothers us! Especially if it saves a few dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we went shopping today. The Good Guys on Scarborough Beach Road ended the day with most of our cash. They seemed to do us good prices. I think we made the salesman's day - fridge, washing machine, Dyson, iron, ironing board, phones all purchased for a good price. Think it helped that I told him that before the rugby world cup starts I'll be needing some serious TV and Blu-Ray kit....

K-mart also got a few dollars from us for some "temporary, not fussed if it breaks before we buy "decent" ones" kitchenwares (pans, cutlery, utensils etc) - they do a "homestarter" set for $69 that contains everything we need to get started in our new place. It's not great quality, but will be enough to get us going http://shop.kmart.com.au/product/80-piece-kitchen-starter-set/100600 (said $79 on shelf, but $69 when rung through till - might be a useful thing for anyone else looking to get started in a new place).

One thing I forgot to say that caught us out - watch for EFTPOS limit. I didn't know this but the limit on EFTPOS card transactions per day is very low (varies from bank to bank so check with card issuer). If you'll be making a large purchase for things like this and intend to pay by card make you may want to know the daily limits to avoid embarrassing check-out errors.

I'd put sufficient funds in one of my accounts, but it wouldn't have been approved due to the low EFTPOS limit. The assistant queried my choice of EFTPOS account before hitting the buttons and explained it to us. Luckily we'd been to sort out getting Visa debit functionality added to our cards a couple of weeks back (which has no such limit) so I just stood at the till and used NAB's app on my phone to transfer the money from the EFTPOS-only account to Visa debit-enabled one.

Should also add, we'd been to Rick Hart discount store in Victoria Park and Harvey Norman and had a look at Kambo's and appliancesonline but Good Guys were beating them by significant percentages before we even got into a bit of haggling. Delivery for fridge and washing machine was $40 (for both).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Newlands

Are prices better in perth than England for White goods would you say?We hoping to move to Perth in Feb 2012, our washer is on borrowed time trying to make it last till move, wondering if its worth buying one here or there? Same with microwave, dyson etc etc everything will be replaced except fridge freezer which is less than 4 mths old. All advise welcome thanks in advance.John&Sarah&Scott

A direct $ to £ comparison can be a bit misleading as wages tend to be higher here. As a percentage of income, costs are probably about the same.

Some people say they're very glad they brought everything. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to pay to ship something large, lose any warranty (probably) and have to stick a different plug on it. From the maths we did, the costs of bringing stuff didn't seem to make it worthwhile.

Perhaps for a small-volume, high-value item like a Dyson it may be worth bringing it. Or if we'd had an expensive washing machine or microwave they may have been worth bringing, but the ones we had just weren't worth it. Probably should have brought the Dyson in hindsight.

Guest guest1228

Kmart is great for bargains on homewares as is Target who are overall more expensive but have some better 'specials'

Retravision is where we got a lot of stuff including dishwasher (end of line so cheap, horrifically expensive otherwise) stereo/toaster etc

Bring your white goods if theyre in good condition, our UK fridge freezer is still going strong despite 3 summers here as is the washer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottishkiwi

Wish I'd read the post with K Marts starter package before I bough a whole lot of individual bits n bobs. Ah well, never mind. We found Betta electrical in Port Kennedy excellent! the salesman was a wee darlin and gave us huge discount on most things! I'll deffo go back to him. we got an 8kg washing machine for $388 - not a well known barand but I don't care as long as it washes my clothes and it has a warranty!

• 5 months later...
Guest pat and mike

good guys all over the place...you can haggle...and their definition of cash isn't just folding stuff...debit cards count !! when they've got to the end of the price debate be cheeky and ask for something linked eg batteries, carrying case etc. if you've haggled on all the big stuff ask for a kettle or similar to be thrown in !! they expect it. they also seem pretty knowledgeable on their products. there's also retravision as well as harvey norman