Yummy Food

Guest MinkyCat

Guest MinkyCat

Hi everyone, I'm a bit of a foodie & am always thinking about what yummy thing I can make/try out. I absolutely love seafood and am quite excited about the "banana prawns" i've been told i'm going to love.

Just wondering what gorgeous different things you have sampled since your arrival in perth that you wouldnt have eaten as easily in the UK?

On my way to the kitchen to see what I can find?:jiggy:

I love the seafood .. we eat Big King Prawns far more here than we did there , and my oh loves his steak .. even though i cooked it the other night and made a curry for him with some .. not sure he has got over the shock yet ..even though he liked it :) We also love the Thai food here , though i really really miss my Indian food .

The seafood is amazing here it really is. Right down to just your basic fish and chips, which happens to be red snapper and chips lol

You can get big bags of scallops and huge prawns, Mussels and Oysters( still havent plucked up the courage for oysters!) on practically every menu. Everywhere seams to do salt and pepper squid. I had it in the UK and it put me off really tough and chewy, but here they seem to cook it just right. Even the cheap fishfingers arent nasty like the UK ones they are really fishy and nice.

I had the most amazing chilli crab Linguini in Freo the other day it was to die for. You really are spoilt for choice here.:wubclub:

Mmm. A bit of a foodie as well and afraid i disagree with the other posters.

Generally the food is poor here and that includes the sea food. The mussles are mainly green lip which are known even in the UK as being fairly tastless. Other sea food is poor due to the Humbold curent which runs down WA and effectivly sterilises a lot of the ocean.

Oysters are "ok" but not the varierty of the UK and not as good.

Restaurants are very poor, very expensive and usually shocking service.

Guest NeilEB

As long as there are some.

Not sure I can cope without my veggie Pathia, Mutur paneer & rice....

Speaking of which, I really fancy that for dinner now - damn you JB!!

Guest NeilEB

No take-away for me, I still have lots of weight to lose.

Instead I get to pan fry some salmon fillets and pour boiling water over couscous - yum :-(

Guest NeilEB
Yum .. spice up the salmon even better :)

I would but Mrs B doesn't do spice....

I usually drizzle worcestershire sauce over it when I'm finished though :-)

Maybe paprika would go well?

Guest NeilEB
sweet chilli sauce ...

Ooh I have that....

Cook it in it, or use it as 'ketchup'?

And we seemed to have derailed the thread somewhat - I would apologise, but JB is a mod and she encouraged stop me!

Guest NeilEB
OOps good point , apologie to the op ... hmmm ketchup style drizzled over it Yummm :smile:

Honestly, you're lucky I'm not a mod, you'd be hit with the banhammer by now....

:jiggy:

JB - did I hear you right? No Indian food? WTF???

*goes off to cry in the corner*

Some of the curry houses are crap in comparison, there's no getting away from that. However, there are one or two around that are bloody good. The one that we use is only a couple of notches below my favourite from the UK and with the influx of poms, there are places springing up all the time but you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince, if you follow my drift.

See you're from Harrow..... I lived in Pinner for a while when I moved up to London and subsequently spent some time on the souvf 'arrer side of Greenford.

Guest MinkyCat

Thanks guys, my OH has nearly fell off the sofa at the mention of a lack of decent curry houses haha. I love cooking but the whole curry thing is never quite as top notch at home I find. I would have thought there would be be some type of deli shop where they sell all spices etc. to do at home. Anyone come across that pls?

Guest NeilEB

I'm amazed that with the large Asian and English communities there's hardly any good curry houses.....

My spidey senses are tingling with a possible business venture....

I would have thought there would be be some type of deli shop where they sell all spices etc. to do at home. Anyone come across that pls?

These are the people you want. More spices than you can shake a stick at. You wander round their Ossie Park place and think "what the hell is that and what would you stick that in ? "

http://www.primeproducts.com.au/contact.asp

As an aside, my partner & I (sound a bit like the Queen -lol) did an Indian cooking course at Tafe one evening a week a few years ago and about the third week in, we asked if we could bring in a bottle of wine. My partner loves to cook with wine and sometimes she even puts it in the food ! We were told no, due to health and safety blah, blah so we took in sports bottles filled with G&T so strong, it made your head spin.

Apparently there is a place in Rockingham called Spices on Ocean that is supposed to be nice and also Chutney Marys. Cannot comment on either as I am blessed with the most boring :SLEEP:family food wise on the planet, anything remotely spicy doesnt even get through the door. I love all different foods and flavours, but no point going to any Indian as they would just sit there hungry:err:

Guest NeilEB

Hey GMAB - have you tried getting them to eat a Korma?

My wife hates spicy food (so much so that I'm not allowed to cook with black pepper!) but she loves the Korma now :-)

By the way my pan fried salmon was nice - made a nice marinade with olive oil, worcester sauce, paprika, pepper and tabasco.

Got a veggie curry boiling away in a slow cooker for dinner tonight :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Chutney Mary's is pretty average, and spices on the ocean was OK, my oh had a madras which was pretty tasty, but I ordered Jalfrezi which was shocking pink! There is a takeaway opened on Railway terrace that does a good selection and seems fairly authentic. I come from Manchester so was spoilt with curry mile in Rusholme on our doorstep.

I love the thai food over here, but am having to get good at cooking currys at home now - I had a byo curry night last year which was a success, everyone brought a dish and we had a feast!

Anyone up for that? I do a mean chicken madras, and my dahl is good too!

Tracey

Has anyone tried that Indian Food restuarant on Mandurah Road, out near Secret Harbour, called Klush House??

I was`nt much impressed with Chutney Mary`s last year, there is one in Subiaco, across the road from the Subiaco Hotel, and The Regent Theatre! We had a mild Korma, rice, and crackers. Cost $28 for a tiny little dish of Korma, for 2, the rice was half cooked, (meaning still crunchy) we paid for bottled water, and it never came. Went to the pub afterwards to cool down.....a Hahn Ice went further. But then I`m not really an Indian food lover, but I do like a home cooked sweet curry, with bananas and sultanas spiced with Mango chutney!