Redback spiders...

Geordie Lass

I can't wait to move to Australia, but I have been advised to watch out for the Redback spider. What are they all about!? Should I be cautious if I come across one? I am petrified of spiders and I know that Australia has a lot of these creppie crawlie creatures!!!!!

Please HELP!! I would hate to take a bite from one of these little monsters and not know what to do or whether to seek medical assistance...:arghh:

Hi There

Im not in Perth yet so Im not sure of the spiders of choice there ha ha but we do come accross Red Backs in Adelaide as well as White tips and Hunstmen. Our rule of thumb we are bigger them em so kill em ha ha.

I used to be worried about going to the loo at night and stuff but I got over it pretty quickly. Im still careful with clothes on the floor and stuff but its really not that bad.:smile:

Spray inside and outside ( get the houses sprayed yearly by professionals its not expensive and worth it ) Mortein is also ya best friend bought in a can/ bomb from the shops ! .... keep things turned inside out on a regular basis ... and the best of all ... THE SLIPPER TREATMENT ! SPLAT !!!! as has been said its really not that bad .

I'm told it's been many years since someone died from a Red Back bite. But a bite will make you very ill. Best thing, as Jackboots says, is to spray house (all around doors, windows etc) every 6 months. You'll want to leave the house for a few hours afterwards as it stinks/isn't very good for you.

I've seen two so far. They didn't last long.

Thanks Guys, that is great advice, will definately be taking that on board! No spider will cross my door!!! Do you think my dog will be safe if let outside during the day whilst I am out? I am taking my westie with me and didn't want him left indoors all day whilst I am at Uni. Hope he will be ok living in the back garden during the day...

Thanks again for that spider advice.

Hey, we have a westie too, and I was concerned about her eating redbacks, however she's been ok so far. I read somewhere that dogs generally have a higher tolerance to the vemon than we do and we've definitely had redbacks in the back garden.

Being bitten is apparently very painful for a couple of days (like the bite area being hit by a hammer in time to your heartbeat, or so I've been told!) but only life-threatening if you have something else wrong with you, and there is very effective anti-vemon.

We generally kill them on site, and spray any access points into the house. We've not had one inside in the year we've been here :)

Guest NeilEB

This is interesting as what I've heard is slightly different.

Red Backs are found predominantly outside and can be fairly small - their bite can be dangerous, but in truth it's hard to get them to bite - they prefer to run away if possible. Like most critters, they'll bite if they feel threatened, but wont actively hunt you.

I believe the like to live in sheds and under garden furniture. Apparently you can watch out for their webs, which are easy to spot and clear them whenever you see them.

However this is where the advice I have read differs....if you get bitten by one I have been told that you should seek medical attention asap to get the anti-venom. It's only deadly for very young kids, but left untreated it can cause problems.

No idea if any of that is right - I'm sure Ali or Jackboots can confirm?

Ive seen a couple of redbacks in the garden but I was told that they kill other isects like termites so they do more good than bad however my rule of thumb is if it doesnt pay rent it isnt welcome :biglaugh: So yes I spray the whole house with a big thing I get from Bunnings (b&q) and this gets done about every few months in summer and about every 3 months in winter. Ive seen far more creepy crawlies in the UK than I have seen here. I spray inside too and I have this automatic thing that sprays a mist every few minutes and touch wood we have only had a few dead house spidies and a few dead flies. No cockies and nothing slithery here. We have had a tiny field mouse and quite frankly that scared me and the other half far more :biglaugh:

To be honest - I'd be more worried about the thing that sprays a mist every few minutes. Chemicals aren't good for you. I've had redbacks crawl across me on occasion and have never been bitten. I've never seen one inside of a modern house. They tend to like sheds and garages.

I did meet a girl once who did get bitten. She said you'd probably want to get to the hospital for pain relief if nothing else. Apparently it hurts alot. Normal practice for a bite of any kind is to not move the limb, to keep calm, and to apply a pressure bandage and seek medical attention. Don't worry about identification. If it's a snake - don't try and identify the snake. They will blood test you before giving you anti venom anyway. Snakes often dry bite, so they won't give you anti venom unless you need it. The exception is some spider bites may be too painful for a pressure bandage.

Whether you would want an ambulance or get someone to drive you there is up to you I guess. Personally I think I'd call an ambulance.

I have heard of people having heart attacks after being bitten by pythons because they freaked out. So the hospital is probably the best place to be.

Warning : I'm not trained to give advice - this is just what I've heard. Please get the latest info from the proper authorities.

But above all - don't panic. To be honest I've seen bigger spiders in Sussex. With kids I'd spray the drains and swings cubby houses etc and lock the shed. You can go OTT with sprays. They aren't good for you, and you do need to keep things in perspective.

Yeah.....but.....Hunstmans........

Neil - I have a very large black spider living in my shed in Sussex that would eat huntsmen for breakfast. To be honest - you don't get that many huntsmen in Perth. From memory - they were bigger and more numerous on the east coast.

Guest ghost

When I stays in Perth a couple of years back, first thing I did when I got there, pitch black, walked into the garden to look around the house as you do, and walked straight into a line of a spiders web. Of course I panic, thought I would get bitten by some huge monster spider and die a painful death withing hours. Erm nothing happend.

the owner of the house we rented saw a red back in the garden and left the it to show us it. It was high under the fence panel, and I never saw it unless I went looking. Very small and very beautiful in her own way. Saw one huntsman in a bush in the street, and that was it the whole 3 weeks.

Phew, that sounds better!!! When I visited Halls Head in April, I had two unwanted guests... the first was a spider that looked like a huntsman, but my mind was probably telling me that (I soon put a glass over it until my neighbour sorted it out the next morning!!). The same evening I came across a BIG cockroach (again, that went under a glass until my neighbour sorted it out!!!!)... oh well, maybe in time I will learn to get over myself and deal with them instead of being a coward....:embarressed:

Guest ghost
Phew, that sounds better!!! When I visited Halls Head in April, I had two unwanted guests... the first was a spider that looked like a huntsman, but my mind was probably telling me that (I soon put a glass over it until my neighbour sorted it out the next morning!!). The same evening I came across a BIG cockroach (again, that went under a glass until my neighbour sorted it out!!!!)... oh well, maybe in time I will learn to get over myself and deal with them instead of being a coward....:embarressed:

They are alot bigger than in the UK, but clean looking. I bet there crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.

Portable Dyson tends to do the job.

To be honest - I'd be more worried about the thing that sprays a mist every few minutes. Chemicals aren't good for you. I've had redbacks crawl across me on occasion and have never been bitten. I've never seen one inside of a modern house. They tend to like sheds and garages.

I did meet a girl once who did get bitten. She said you'd probably want to get to the hospital for pain relief if nothing else. Apparently it hurts alot. Normal practice for a bite of any kind is to not move the limb, to keep calm, and to apply a pressure bandage and seek medical attention. Don't worry about identification. If it's a snake - don't try and identify the snake. They will blood test you before giving you anti venom anyway. Snakes often dry bite, so they won't give you anti venom unless you need it. The exception is some spider bites may be too painful for a pressure bandage.

Whether you would want an ambulance or get someone to drive you there is up to you I guess. Personally I think I'd call an ambulance.

I have heard of people having heart attacks after being bitten by pythons because they freaked out. So the hospital is probably the best place to be.

Warning : I'm not trained to give advice - this is just what I've heard. Please get the latest info from the proper authorities.

But above all - don't panic. To be honest I've seen bigger spiders in Sussex. With kids I'd spray the drains and swings cubby houses etc and lock the shed. You can go OTT with sprays. They aren't good for you, and you do need to keep things in perspective.

No its all natural citrus thingys no chemicals, so the tin says!

Guest Bob Tonnor
I can't wait to move to Australia, but I have been advised to watch out for the Redback spider. What are they all about!? Should I be cautious if I come across one? I am petrified of spiders and I know that Australia has a lot of these creppie crawlie creatures!!!!!

Please HELP!! I would hate to take a bite from one of these little monsters and not know what to do or whether to seek medical assistance...:arghh:

Hi

I have lived all over the country, in the bush, on the coast and in the mountains and the last thing you need to be worried about is spiders, red backs have a tendency to hang about in dark places under things such as floors and plant pots but they are not aggressive in the slightest. In some of the earlier posts some people have suggested that you should kill the bigger spiders, dont, huntsmen are the best pest control you can have, they also are not aggressive, we have two funnel web spiders (the Sydney version of this spider is considered the most poisonous spider on the planet) living just outside our back door, we have had no issues with them whatsoever, we also dont have any roach issues either and that's not coincidence. The only insect that i have come across which i actively kill are jumping jack ants, if any other members have come across these fellas then they will know why, evil, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant But basically theres not much thats going to bother you, the same thing goes for snakes, if you don't bother them, they wont bother you and they will keep your pests down.

Bob

Yeah, Huntsmans are scary as hell, but they eat Redbacks and generally run away as soon as they sense you, so I just leave them be.

I did a fisrt aid course (through work) shortly after I came here. Generally seek medical attention for bites from red backs and snakes. Try and look at the markings on snakes, particularly stripes etc and get to a hospital asap. Do not kill the snake as 1) the hospital won't thank you for pitching up with a dead snake and 2) they are protected and you will be probably get in trouble from the police. Compression bandages for snake bites, but a red back bite will probably be too painful for that.

There's the poisons helpline on 13 11 26, or call 000 if in doubt.

The things that really scare me is the blue-ringed octupus!

Forget the Redbacks, it’s the Toilet Tiger snakes you need to watch out for. There have been many occasions where they have swam up around the S bend. The only cure is amputation of the affected gluteus maximus. It’s very off putting when you see an attractive young lady missing one side of her bottom. Five confirmed cases this year already.