Secret Harbour - Comet Bay Primary School

Guest thesalmons

Guest thesalmons

Hi,

We are moving to Perth at the end of September and hoping to settle in Secret Harbour. We were wondering if anyone knows any information regarding Comet Bay Primary School? Along with any information on Secret Harbour. My brother and his family live in Lakelands and their little boy goes to a private school on the Estate. Thanks X

Hi, I was up until a month ago on the Comet Bay Primary school P&C and SusieQ and CharmedP3 still are. I still do the Kiss and Drive 3 days a week. All our kids obviously all go to Comet Bay Primary. Its a large school but still maintains a small school feel. We are very happy with the school. Strangly enough, we are building a new house in Lakelands and the school you are referring to is Mandurah Baptist College, that has a 2 year waiting list I have just put my sons name down hoping that he will be able to go there in his High School Years. Any more questions please feel free.Ive been here for just over a year.:wubclub:

Hi.....Secret Harbour is great....I arrived in May 2009 and we are still here. My SOn started in Grade 1 and is now in Grade 3 and my daughter has just started Kindy this year. We love the area and have no intentions of moving away from Secret harbour and I think Comet bay Primary is a great school for the kids. A word of warning though...you ahve to accept that school here is not the same as the UK....they teach different and at different rates. We often wonder what Bradley would be learning in the Uk if we were still there....but as I keep reminding my husband, we are here now so it is really of no consequense!! You are encouraged here to go in and help as much as you can....you can help the teacher, help with reading, help in the canteen, uniform shop in the library, or join in and help t raise funds. The school is very family orientated.

there is a thread here called SUBURBS and secret harbour is mentioned on there so worth a look.

You will not be dissappointed with Secret harbour. Any questions please ask.

Sue

Guest Singos

Pulled Liam out of S Harbour primary as he was going backwards and his brain was getting dysfunctional (also 1 year behind here) If your cashed up get names down for Mandurah Baptist,Maranatha,or Living Waters immeditely on arrival - waiting lists.

Doesn't compare to UK academically in my book,too soft.

Guest thesalmons

Thank you for your advice, I have read that the schooling is behind the UK, my little boy has just finished year one and was going onto year 2 in September. Some of his homework he use to bring home, got my brain rattling lol !! So when he does start school over in Perth, he will be going back to year one, I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing because he is one of the youngest in his class (birthday in July)?? My sister-in-law suggested a private school in Perth because of him being at school already in the UK??

Thanks I will look at the Suburbs, that will be interesting to have a look at. The last time we were in Secret Harbour was 2009 for a holiday and we loved it, am I thinking right that at the time there was a new estate being built next to SH ....

P.S. What is Kiss & Drive lol ??

Secret Harbour is I think made up of 4 sectors...the old part....the Break....Comet Bay Part and Anstey Park Side is how I look at it!!

Kiss and Drive is brilliant....the bell goes the kids walk to the designated kiss and Drive area.....you pull into the area in your car and the parent volunteer calls your child down and puts them in the car...you drive off and then the next car drives in and the same thing happens. In the morning you drive in...parent volunteer assists with getting child out of car and then sends them up to school...you drive off. Works really well.

I was glad of the entrance age here...as my youngest is an August baby and she would have been barely 4 if she started school in the UK whereas here she had another 6 months and is the oldest in her class. Private does not always mean better at primary age to be honest...they still have the same age criteria, and I am sure follow the same education guidelines.....but that is only an idividual opionion.

good luck with the search x

Guest Singos

Yes, the Golden Bay development, I thinks its for 1st homebuyers,spoiled it for me but -hey

Kiss and drive signs -yes....near school for dropping kids off -ha

Guest thesalmons

That's a good idea with the kiss and drive, stops traffic jams around the school. At my boys school, the security is very good, especially for the younger ones. Parents have to go to the class room door to pick up their children. If the teacher doesn't know the adult who is coming to collect the child, they wont let the child go. You have to phone the school to say "so and so is coming to pick them up". Which gives me peace of mind when they are at school.

Sorry I was jumping the gun and posted a thread on the suburbs about Golden Bay, that is interesting to know, so basically, only first time buyers can buy on that estate??

Guest thesalmons

Ah thats good to know about the security. I was just wondering if people mainly drive/walk their kids to school (weather depending, especially in the summer).

Guest unique0410

Hi does anyone know what it's like to live in Greenfields or Halls Head the houses look a bit cheaper in these areas is their any paticular reason why they are cheaper look forward to your views Best regards

Pulled Liam out of S Harbour primary as he was going backwards and his brain was getting dysfunctional (also 1 year behind here) If your cashed up get names down for Mandurah Baptist,Maranatha,or Living Waters immeditely on arrival - waiting lists.

Doesn't compare to UK academically in my book,too soft.

I think its worth pointing out that Secret Harbour Primary is NOT Comet Bay Primary which is what this thread is about. I do have friends who send their kids to Secret Harbour Primary though and they are happy. I think like everything people have their own opinions its difficult. I have no issues with Comet Bay Primary and if you take the time to help the school you get to see what goes on behind the scenes and the school is a good one.:cool:

Ah thats good to know about the security. I was just wondering if people mainly drive/walk their kids to school (weather depending, especially in the summer).

This is a good one. I though that I would be walking to school a lot more than I do to be honest. But when its hot its bloomin hot and the last thing the kids want to do in the hot sun after a day at school is walk. So I am afraid I do use the car more than I should but I consol myself with the fact I help with the kiss and drive :wubclub:

Hi does anyone know what it's like to live in Greenfields or Halls Head the houses look a bit cheaper in these areas is their any paticular reason why they are cheaper look forward to your views Best regards

I have never been to Greenfields so I cannot comment personally, but I did like Halls Head but I have only visited so it might be worth, asking this as a question on the main bit and hopefully someone who lives there might see it. Generally though it is like the UK here in that the best area's with the best schools have the best prices so if an area is cheap there may well be a reason, Not always though.:wubclub:

Halls Head is a lovely community. I stayed there in April when I visited on holiday with my daughter. I was planning on moving there but it is quite a drive from the city and that's where I need to be everyday, when I do eventually move!!! But, Halls Head is a great place to be. I have heard that Greenfields is not such a nice area, a bit rough in places (apparently!). I have only driven through Greenfields so cannot really speak from personal experience. Hope this helps! :smile:

• 10 months later...

hi came accross this thread,

oh is flying out next sun, and me and 3 kids ages will be jess 16 dylan 7 and kian 6 we will follow in dec.. Although from internet based research we think we have decided to possibly buy in baldivis we think we may rent in secret harbour. I have been looking at comet bay primary for the boys and comet bay college for jess. Can someone tell me if they are within walking distance from each other ? Also the enroll date is tomorrow for 2013 has anyone done this from overseas ? there is a drop down box for overseas enrollment but its blank. Will they allow an enrollment from ireland even though we have not got an address yet ? Alao does the primary have afterschool care ?

thanks so much for any help

jen x

I have read that the schooling is behind the UK

actually it's not - Australia is doing much better than the UK in all areas - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

However what is behind is the schooling in Secret Harbour - the Govt. primary schools are below the national average in most areas, for all years on the NAPLAN tests - go here and check out the graphs at the bottom -

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

The high schools are even worse in terms of the number of students who do the stage three University courses and go on to Uni.