Watching Formula 1 in Perth

Guest UchihaSasuK8

Guest UchihaSasuK8

Hello everyone - I just joined PerthPoms as I am likely moving to Perth in the next few months for my job.

I am just trying to work out the whole deal re; Visa, shipping furniture and medical insurance but most importantly of all:

Can anyone please tell me how I will be able to watch Formula 1?

• Are races shown live at some horrible time of night &/or re-run at a more hospitable hour?
  • If this available on a free-to-air channel or will I have buy a certain cable/sat package?
  • Is this the sort of thing likely to be shown in sports bar/pub or will I have to fend for myself?
  • Are all races likely to be shown in Aus, or just a selection of the 'highlight' races?
  • Does anyone know what the coverage/comentator package is? I know some English-speaking countries get the BBC feed - is Aus one of them?

As some of you may know the BBC has just soldout F1 fans *ahem* I mean, made a deal with BSkyB for next year, and I am worried that this will also effect my rabid fandom down under!!

Thanks in advance

Currently, races shown live on a free to air channel in HD I think too. The pre-race build up is presented by a couple of right muppets though - they're less charismatic than a washing-up brush. The adverts/product-placement are intense and take some getting used to. The race commentary is the BBC feed, but because the Oz channel goes to an ad-break every few minutes I'm not sure why they bothered buying the feed.

It's watchable, but the experience is nowhere as good as watching on BBC, so if you can do that online via one of the dubious methods, you may prefer that.

I differ a bit from this. I love F1 and loved the BBC build up but I have now got used to it and even the two or sometimes 3 presenters they have are good. The actually race has David Coulthard and Martin Brundle but Phil is right in that they do have adverts which is a pain but then when F1 was on ITV it did too. You just get used to it. Always good for a wee break when it gets exciting. You do seem to miss loads though what with the BBC missing things and the adverts but its still exciting and I love it. It is on Free to air digital but be aware that in WA for some obsure reason you cannot watch most digital free to air through the Foxtel so you cant record unless you have a separare recordible device. Only the Candadian F1 is on a silly time about 1pm I think and even then it is reshown at about 9 in the morning straight through so I was able to watch it all without finding out the result. Most races end up on in the evening so it works out really well. I beleive Turkey is going next year though and will be replaced with an American race so that will probably be at ridiculous oclock. Its not the same its definatly different, not quite as good no, but you learn to adapt :wubclub:

• 6 years later...