Baldivis

Hi Ann, Do you have the link for the facebook page?? I will join and keep up to date on whats going on. Maybe we could have our own meetup south of the river. Sharon

Hi Sharon, it's ' Perth Pals ' western australia. any probs drop us a line. Yep, we will defo have to start our own meet ups. It's great to get it on facebook and read what people have to say, mindful of information sometimes. Ann

Hi Mandi, i am looking at Baldivis and had some real possitive feed back on here about the area, i see you are taking your dog over with you i shall be taking my 2 small dogs with me too, really couldn't leave them behind i can't wait to get them on the trails and beaches, i was wondering if you could tell me what company you are using to transport your dog and the cost if you don't mind me asking, it will give me an idea what i shall be looking at. Lets hope for a lottery win for all of us, the exchange rate id so dire. Ann

Hi Ann

Just reading you post about your 2 dogs. I am using Airpets, based at Heathrow Airport. I am transporting my westie which is costing £2400 (+ quarantine fees of $1400). I have already booked my dog with them and they have been very professional and efficient. Hope this helps.

Hi Ann

Just reading you post about your 2 dogs. I am using Airpets, based at Heathrow Airport. I am transporting my westie which is costing £2400 (+ quarantine fees of $1400). I have already booked my dog with them and they have been very professional and efficient. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, my son used airpets and i had to take his dog to Heathrow so i know were that is and i have to say the staff were very helpful and kind to 'Charlie dog' i will more than likely use them myself. Why does everything have to have so many 0000 behind the price, i shall be working and begging for overtime to pay for everything. Thanks for that Ann

Hi Ann, Do you have the link for the facebook page?? I will join and keep up to date on whats going on. Maybe we could have our own meetup south of the river. Sharon

Hi Sharon, did you manage to find the ' perth pals ' western australia on facebook, there's some good info at the moment from someone regarding medicare and private which lowers your tax apparently. Ann

Guest thepallis

Hi Ann, I have just been accepted so will look at it when I have more time. (Work is calling). :err:Thanks for the link. When are you guys planning on going over? We are going end of June 2012 seems like an eternity away but if this next year is as quick as the last one it will be here in no time at all. Sharon

Hi Ann, I have just been accepted so will look at it when I have more time. (Work is calling). :err:Thanks for the link. When are you guys planning on going over? We are going end of June 2012 seems like an eternity away but if this next year is as quick as the last one it will be here in no time at all. Sharon

Hi sharon, must be quick as i am off to work also, my timing is similar to yours hope to be there June2012 also, i am going on the parent visa and the processing time is now roughly 10-12mths i lodged in june so i am hoping it's no longer than the 12mths. It's a very costly visa but i concider it well worth it as i just love Perth. I shall be going alone as i am single so it's sorta a huge step and stressful as i don't have a partner for support but i am used to going it alone so i just go with the flow. I am snowed under getting my house done up ready for rent as i intend doing this as the housing market is dire just now to concider selling. I shall be taking my 2 dogs with me as i just couln't bare to leave them, they will love the outdoors over there. Keep in touch and let me know the progress of your visa, all the best Ann

Guest mandi1971

We,ve booked flights. going from Manchester on 13th January :wacko: very scary lol.

We looked at using Golden arrow, there price came in at around £1500 then you had the quarantine bill on top, however, they have since sent me a letter saying that the quarantine period can be dramatically shortened if you get you're dog the rabies injection asap.

The laws are changing in Jan apparently and this is what my letter said:

Vaccinate against Rabies, lasts 12 months, wait 3-4 weeks then do the blood test. The date of the blood sampling determines the length of time the dog will spend in quarantine.

This is on a sliding scale, 180 days must elapse from the date the blood was taken, before the pet can be released from quarantine.

If 150 days, or more, have elapsed before the pet arrives in Australia, there will be only 30 days quarantine, as it is at present. If only 135 days have elapsed, it will be 45 days and so on. If only 60 days have elapsed,(minimum) it will be 120 days in quarantine.

Quarantine can only take place between 60 days and 12 months of sampling.

So basically have your dog microchipped, vaccinated against rabies as soon as possible and blood tested as if you were going down the Pet passport route.

This will take off quite a bit off the expense, hope it makes sense lol :smile:

Mandi xx

We,ve booked flights. going from Manchester on 13th January :wacko: very scary lol.

We looked at using Golden arrow, there price came in at around £1500 then you had the quarantine bill on top, however, they have since sent me a letter saying that the quarantine period can be dramatically shortened if you get you're dog the rabies injection asap.

Vaccinate against Rabies, lasts 12 months, wait 3-4 weeks then do the blood test. The date of the blood sampling determines the length of time the dog will spend in quarantine.

This is on a sliding scale, 180 days must elapse from the date the blood was taken, before the pet can be released from quarantine.

If 150 days, or more, have elapsed before the pet arrives in Australia, there will be only 30 days quarantine, as it is at present. If only 135 days have elapsed, it will be 45 days and so on. If only 60 days have elapsed,(minimum) it will be 120 days in quarantine.

So basically have your dog microchipped, vaccinated against rabies as soon as possible and blood tested as if you were going down the Pet passport route.

Mandi xx

Thanks for that Mandi, so glad you said as i didn't know the laws had changed, my sons dog went to oz in 2010 and he never had to have the rabies jab and had to have 30days quarentine, i will phone the vet now and get that sorted for them both. Just hope i get the visa granted as it's going to cost a fortune but better to be safe than sorry. wow! January will soon be here for you i bet you just can't wait, and the weather will be nice and hot by then too. I think i will be arriving in the middle of winter over there, the days arn't to bad but the nights are freezing. You will have to keep in touch and let me know how it's all going for you. Thanks so much for the info mandi, have added you on my friends list. We will have to start our own coffee mornings for newbies along with sharon. LOL!! Ann xx

Mandi xx

Thanks again Mandi, i have just phoned Golden Arrow and they are sending me info out along with what you have just quoted to me, i have decided to book meg and bob in with the vet tomorrow and have the rabies jab to be on the safe side, won't harm for them to be protected anyway. I can also go through all their paperwork and make sure it's all okay. So glad you told me that i wouldn't want them spending any more time in quarentine than they have to. Cheers Ann xx

Mandi xx

Just had Bob and Meg vaccinated with the rabies jab they have a 2nd dose in 2 weeks, the vet thought the blood sample would be fine with the one they have before they fly out but having re-read your message it's important to have the blood test 3-4 weeks after the jab to determine the amount of time in quarentine, there won't be enough time from the blood test they have prior to flying. Did your dog have to have the 2 jabs or just the one? Thanks Ann

• 2 months later...
Hi, can anyone please give me some information on the Baldivis area, i hope to be moving over middle of next year all being well with my visa and hope to rent at first with the view to buy land and build, the area was suggested to me and although i have visited secret Harbour and Mandurah i have never been to this suburb so any views on the area would be appreciated, i am 54 and single so would be looking at nice walking areas to walk my dogs, good restaurants and pubs,shops and any info on leisure facilties would be great, i will be looking to make new friends so the neighbourhood is pretty important. Cheers........ Ann:smile:

Hi Ann

We (me, hubby and our son aged 8) live in Tuart Ridge, Baldivis, - a 2-minute walk from the tennis courts and BBQ area and a 3-minute drive from the Stockland Coles shopping centre.

The centre has a Coles supermarket, Brumby's (bakery), Muffin Break, Priceline, newsagents,optometrist, bank, Red Dot store,hairdressers, clothes shop and nearby there is a medical centre,pub, bottle shop, hairdresser, cafes and takeaways, a Macdonalds and Hungry Jacks.

There is also a massive Masters home improvement store opening early next year. It will a cross between B&Q and Homebase and will be a rival to Bunnings. According to a community info leaflet I've just found the store will have "extensive ranges of wallpapers, paints and affordable lighting. Every building material, tool, fastening and widget you could ever want. You'll find a huge range of flooring and a gardening section that seems to just keep growing".

I've been watching the store take shape everytime I drive past on my way to Coles and it is huge.

We are renting a brand new 4-bed, 2 bathroom house - $450 a week with lawn mowing included. Tuart Ridge estate is regarded as the upmarket end of Baldivis, along with nearby Highbury Park where - to our amusement - all the streets are named after football grounds in the UK !!!!

Both are new estates and land all around Baldivis is being cleared to make way for hundreds of more new homes with more primary schools in the pipeline and a high school is to be built next year in nearby Rivergums estate.

There is a new primary school, Makybe Rise, a 5-minute WALK up the street but they only go to Year 2 , then will take Year 3 pupils next year and the entire primary age range in 2014.

A real shame for us because our son is in Year 3 so no good for us. Instead he attends Settlers Primary which is a 5-minute DRIVE away.

Both estates are out of the catchment area for Settlers Primary, so I was reluctant to buy a house or land here as my son doesn't want to change schools.

Instead we've bought a block of land - last Monday in fact - in the new Parkland Heights estate close to the school and in the catchment area (I checked with the school first).

We've looked at land for sale closer to Perth but it is very expensive and the blocks are much smaller. Baldivis offers the best value for money and is only 42km from Perth.

Took the train to Perth today as I had a meeting in the CBD. Did park-and-ride from Warnbro station ten minutes up the road and it only cost $2 to leave the car there all day - 7am-9pm. Mind you there weren't may spaces left at 8.50am. Took 40 minutes to the reach Perth - Esplanade stop.

Anyway, we are now looking at house designs. Looked at dozens and dozens of display homes. Whittled it down to a toss up between a design by Summit Homes and Gemmill Homes. Prefer the latter but turning out to be a bit more expensive. Trying to play them off against each other to get the best deal. It's hard work and the costs seems to be going up and up.

Happy to answer any questions you have about Baldivis.

PS Moved here from Corindi Beach, near Coffs Harbour, NSW, in September - drove the 4,000km over 7 days to get here.

Hi Ann

We (me, hubby and our son aged 8) live in Tuart Ridge, Baldivis, - a 2-minute walk from the tennis courts and BBQ area and a 3-minute drive from the Stockland Coles shopping centre.

The centre has a Coles supermarket, Brumby's (bakery), Muffin Break, Priceline, newsagents,optometrist, bank, Red Dot store,hairdressers, clothes shop and nearby there is a medical centre,pub, bottle shop, hairdresser, cafes and takeaways, a Macdonalds and Hungry Jacks.

There is also a massive Masters home improvement store opening early next year. It will a cross between B&Q and Homebase and will be a rival to Bunnings. According to a community info leaflet I've just found the store will have "extensive ranges of wallpapers, paints and affordable lighting. Every building material, tool, fastening and widget you could ever want. You'll find a huge range of flooring and a gardening section that seems to just keep growing".

I've been watching the store take shape everytime I drive past on my way to Coles and it is huge.

We are renting a brand new 4-bed, 2 bathroom house - $450 a week with lawn mowing included. Tuart Ridge estate is regarded as the upmarket end of Baldivis, along with nearby Highbury Park where - to our amusement - all the streets are named after football grounds in the UK !!!!

Both are new estates and land all around Baldivis is being cleared to make way for hundreds of more new homes with more primary schools in the pipeline and a high school is to be built next year in nearby Rivergums estate.

There is a new primary school, Makybe Rise, a 5-minute WALK up the street but they only go to Year 2 , then will take Year 3 pupils next year and the entire primary age range in 2014.

A real shame for us because our son is in Year 3 so no good for us. Instead he attends Settlers Primary which is a 5-minute DRIVE away.

Both estates are out of the catchment area for Settlers Primary, so I was reluctant to buy a house or land here as my son doesn't want to change schools.

Instead we've bought a block of land - last Monday in fact - in the new Parkland Heights estate close to the school and in the catchment area (I checked with the school first).

We've looked at land for sale closer to Perth but it is very expensive and the blocks are much smaller. Baldivis offers the best value for money and is only 42km from Perth.

Took the train to Perth today as I had a meeting in the CBD. Did park-and-ride from Warnbro station ten minutes up the road and it only cost $2 to leave the car there all day - 7am-9pm. Mind you there weren't may spaces left at 8.50am. Took 40 minutes to the reach Perth - Esplanade stop.

Anyway, we are now looking at house designs. Looked at dozens and dozens of display homes. Whittled it down to a toss up between a design by Summit Homes and Gemmill Homes. Prefer the latter but turning out to be a bit more expensive. Trying to play them off against each other to get the best deal. It's hard work and the costs seems to be going up and up.

Happy to answer any questions you have about Baldivis.

PS Moved here from Corindi Beach, near Coffs Harbour, NSW, in September - drove the 4,000km over 7 days to get here.

Thank you so much for the post it was a mindful of information i needed to know about the area, i am 54yrs and coming over on the parent visa to be near my son who lives in Harrisdale. The rentals are so expensive now arn't they? As i will be on my todd with my 2 small dogs i will only need something pretty small although would relish 2 bathrooms as it's so handy when people come to stay. I was hoping to buy but house sales have dropped here in the uk so don't see me selling my house in the near future so may have to rent it out. I work in aged care and have heard from my nursing friends there's lots of work in this field although i may take the course for ' Assistant in nursing' which is a care assistant in the uk. There seems to be lots of amenities around and the train is so handy rather than taking the car into the city.

I so envy you looking at house designs it must be great to plan a new home from scratch, i did look at the north to live but find it more expensive up that way.

I will drop a line on here when my visa comes through as it would be lovely to meet folk in the area, enjoy the planning of your new home. Thanks again for the post..... brilliant. Ann:smile:

Thanks Kips,

A very informative post! I have been surfing net here (Ireland) for last few months and suburb that kept cropping up for me was Baldivis (the primary school and properties to rent are appealing greatly to me!!). I fly to Perth a week from today...aaarrggghhh....myself and my two children, son 10 and daughter 7. My dh went before us 7 weeks ago and has finally got a job etc. however he is staying with a mate in Victoria Park and was leaving the house hunting up to me....:skeptical:....for when I arrive. I have a holiday rental booked in Rockingham for month of December and intend to spend as much time as I can checking out Baldivis and get a real feel for the place, see if my gut instinct is correct? Hopefully it will be.

Becks x

Thanks Kips,

A very informative post! I have been surfing net here (Ireland) for last few months and suburb that kept cropping up for me was Baldivis (the primary school and properties to rent are appealing greatly to me!!). I fly to Perth a week from today...aaarrggghhh....myself and my two children, son 10 and daughter 7. My dh went before us 7 weeks ago and has finally got a job etc. however he is staying with a mate in Victoria Park and was leaving the house hunting up to me....:skeptical:....for when I arrive. I have a holiday rental booked in Rockingham for month of December and intend to spend as much time as I can checking out Baldivis and get a real feel for the place, see if my gut instinct is correct? Hopefully it will be.

Becks x

Good luck with the move, keep in touch and let us know how you find Baldivis. I have never been either but have heard how nice it is there. I hope to be over there next June. Enjoy the house hunting.......... Bon Voyage Ann

Thanks Kips,

Becks x

Hi Becks

How exciting. You will be arriving as summer starts. The weather forecast for next Friday is 34C - a bit warmer than Ireland. :biglaugh:Hope your rental has air con. Will you have access to a car as that will be the easiest way to get around ?

Having said that Rockingham has a train station which is on the Mandurah line so the stops are: Mandurah,Warnbro,Rockingham,Wellard,Kwinana,Cockburn Central,Murdoch, Bull Creek, Canning Bridge, Esplanade (Perth CBD) and Perth Underground. Rocky to Perth is 34 minutes. Don't know about buses - never used them.

Cockburn Central has a big shopping centre which is about a 15-minute drive from Rockingham next to the highway so very easy to get in and out of. Important for someone like me who has a rubbish sense of direction.

Bear in mind as it's coming up to Christmas and the school holidays so the shopping centres will be packed, especially at weekends but there will be late night shopping, if like me you hate crowds, but still need to do the Christmas shopping. Hard to avoid as my son has given me his extensive list of ideas for presents and none are cheap lol.

When you get here happy to meet up and chat about how to get around Baldivis as it is quite spread out. Rockingham is a good base as it is close not only to Baldivis but other suburbs like Secret Harbour, Warnbro, Golden Bay and Shoalwater which has lovely ocean views and boat trips to Penguin Island.

Rockingham has a good shopping centre,the sea front is lovely with plenty of places to eat and drink - including fish and chip shops - AND it has an English lolly shop where my son and I can buy choccies from the UK and Walkers crisps:tongue:. Sad I know but the chocolate here is crap. You are talking to confirmed chocoholic.

If you want to get an idea of what house prices/rentals are like in this area have a look at http://www.reiwa.com.au and http://www.realestate.com.au and then compare them to posh areas of Perth like Peppermint Grove, Applecross, Nedlands, Dalkeith, Mount Lawley, East Perth,Shenton Park, Subiaco,Cottesloe, Hillarys, Trigg, Burns Beach and Mindarie to see what you get for your money. Fremantle - our favourite place - is also great but very expensive.

Enjoy your trip over.

Kiran

Hi Kiran,

My gosh you are great, a wealth of information :wubclub:..... thank you so much to take the time to write that post....I really appreciate it. I just want to fly there now.....!!!! The dh bought a car today....so yes I will have transport! I would be so grateful to meet up and find out as much information from you as I could, thank you for your extremely kind offer! Right now back to reality.....cleaning bikes, roller blades etc.....stinking of jeyes fluid!!!!

Sincere thanks

Becks

Good luck with the move, keep in touch and let us know how you find Baldivis. I have never been either but have heard how nice it is there. I hope to be over there next June. Enjoy the house hunting.......... Bon Voyage Ann

Hey Ann,

Thank you for kind words. Yes, I will of course let you know how I find Baldivis....Can't wait :jiggy:

Becks

Thanks Kips,

Becks x

Hi Becks

I have just returned from WA back to the UK after being there for a month sorting everything out for our move in January. We are settling in Baldivis and have enrolled in the local school there (Settlers Primary). It's a lovely school. Baldivis for us was absolutely fantastic - driving around Baldivis, I really felt "at home". It's great - lots of parks, great area - you will love it!!! Good luck with everything. Michelle x :wink:

Hi Becks

I have just returned from WA back to the UK after being there for a month sorting everything out for our move in January. We are settling in Baldivis and have enrolled in the local school there (Settlers Primary). It's a lovely school. Baldivis for us was absolutely fantastic - driving around Baldivis, I really felt "at home". It's great - lots of parks, great area - you will love it!!! Good luck with everything. Michelle x :wink:[/quote

Awh, That's such a reassuring post.....so excited....:biggrin: can't wait to get driving round there for real!!!! Thanks so much Michelle!

Becks xx