Buying a car

Guest bakercrew

Guest bakercrew

Hi,

We are due to land in Perth near rockingham beg of Nov (Yippeeeeee), wanted to find out about purchasing a car. We would be looking for a family size car with low mileage with max of 5 years old. Prob looking at Ford, Hyundai something not to expensive to buy or run.

When buying from a dealer what do I need to know.

What jargon do I need to know ie Rego!

Whats best petrol or diesel.

Any other advice you can think off. Or any recommendations of garages etc

Many Thanks

Helen:confused:

The WA licensing site has lots of info re rego, insurance, duty etc http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/566.asp Depending on if you're on a permanent e.g. 176 or a non-permanent e.g. 457 visa type you may, or may not, need to get your UK licence converted within 3 months. It's a doddle, but more cash obviously.

I'm not sure I've worked it all out myself yet. You go and visit a dealer, agree to buy a car and they'll give you a 'contract to purchase' a vehicle document. It's not as scary as it sounds and you can add all sorts of conditions e.g. subject to being able to get insurance.

If you're looking at insurance, one thing that caught me out that I've mentioned here before, check for an "inexperienced driver" additional excess in any policy you consider. Allianz's definition of "inexperienced" excludes having driven in the UK for 18 years without a single accident - it's about how long you've held an Oz licence. I found this out the hard ($500 on top of normal excess) way when I bumped someone.

One thing to watch for, used cars in Perth hold their value much more than in the UK - might be worth checking out guide prices at http://www.redbook.com.au/

When purchasing a car, I suggest the following:

1) If possible try an buy closer to the end of the month. Sales people have targets to make, and are more negotiable.

2) When you fidn the car you like, you make an offer. Alway make an offer lower than the ticketed price , and dont be scared to negotiate.

3) The sales men are going to try and sell you a heap of extras like paint protection and window tinting, and their own insurance.

4) Always check what is included in the price , is the rego fee included? Once the car is yours , you will receive notification to pay Stamp Duty ( this is the sales taxes) , this is done separately.

5) When you have found the car you like, always check the red book value of the car to ensure that you are not overpaying as such

website is http://www.redbook.com.au

6) You can organise your own insurance , through a broker or company, and they will issue " a certificate of insurance" for cover from the date that the pick up the car. You dont have to feel pressure taking insurance from the dealer. If you need window tinting on the car I suggest you get it done yourself, through tinta a car , it will be cheaper.

7) Take heaps of patience with your when buying a car through a dealer, it can be a really long drawn out process.

Hope that helps

Good Luck and my you have many happy /safe hours driving in Perth