Singapore Airlines Baggage Allowance for Migrants

Druid

I checked with Singapore Airlines as to what baggage allowance I am entitled to and they replied with this :biggrin:

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to the double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger).

The double baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

•The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

•No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

For reference, for flights between the United Kingdom and Perth, the excess baggage charge is SGD 80.00 per kilo which is approximately GBP 40.00 per kilo. Please note excess baggage is charged at check in on your day of departure using the applicable currency exchange rates for that day.

Hope this information helps with your query.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Meena V.

SIA UK

"Document Classification - RESTRICTED"

For further information or clarification, please call our local reservations office directly at 0844 800 2380 (24 hour service, operated 7 days a week).

If you are located in another country, you may call +44 20 8961 6993, or visit www.singaporeair.com to obtain the nearest reservation office's contact number.

We made the mistake in thinking our 457 would entitle my wife to the double allowance.

It was an expensive mistake!

However, when I flew out with the kids a couple of months later we called ahead, they were very considerate and we negotiated an additional 15kg each for me and the kids. They were great with the kids too, would recommend SA to everyone.

We are flying SA in April after reading glowing reports on here before about them. After reading all the positives on this thread I am certainly glad once again that I joined this forum as the advice and experiences have proved priceless information for us everytime. It would have been a minefield for us the whole process and something like flights I don't think we would even have considered SA and gone with a more obvious one like Qantas. By the sounds of it we have chosen one of the best and that is all down to you peeps! Thank you x

We are flying SA in April after reading glowing reports on here before about them. After reading all the positives on this thread I am certainly glad once again that I joined this forum as the advice and experiences have proved priceless information for us everytime. It would have been a minefield for us the whole process and something like flights I don't think we would even have considered SA and gone with a more obvious one like Qantas. By the sounds of it we have chosen one of the best and that is all down to you peeps! Thank you x

You'll soon be on the other end Lucy offering advice to the newer members having done it