Is it easy to get a job in Perth?

Sarab

Hi

I was wondering how easy you have found it to get a job in Perth after moving there?

My partner is an Architect (and so on the SOL's list) and I work in marketing.

We have been looking on Seek etc and have not had much response, but we are in the UK until we move in March.

So have you found it easy to find jobs once you have arrived in Perth?

Thanks

Sara

Dont take it personally, I had very little to no responce from applying for jobs online from here in the UK, the agencies were a particular waste of time, I think once you get to Aus you will not have a problem, you can walk into the agencies, they can see you are available, I think the agencies must get so many applications from abroad and out of all of them they probably get 1% who actually see it through and move, afterall Aus is the most popular destination, not just for us english, for the rest of the world.

we having the same at the present folks. Moving in Jan and most agencies saying it's best for us to be there & be able to be seen.

However, it's not stopping us applying - we are keeping a record of the agencies we speak to 7 when we are over we are going to blitz them in the first week we there.

Best of luck to you both, if we get any tips / hints between now n then we will post em.

we having the same at the present folks. Moving in Jan and most agencies saying it's best for us to be there & be able to be seen.

However, it's not stopping us applying - we are keeping a record of the agencies we speak to 7 when we are over we are going to blitz them in the first week we there.

Best of luck to you both, if we get any tips / hints between now n then we will post em.

I am flying out at the end of the month, I managed to get a job and sponsorship for a 457 visa, it pays to be persistant, I gave up with agencies and job adverts, I just spent time on google, found companies that do my line of work and approached them directly, eventually got lucky :biggrin:

I had very little to no responce from applying for jobs online from here in the UK, the agencies were a particular waste of time

Don't hold your breath, they're not that much better when you're here. :wacko:

I had a couple of months off when I got here then started looking properly and in the end, the company I'm working for 'found' me. It can take time but you will find something, it's not like the UK.

Looking on-line is a good way of gleaning information on what's out there, we spent months trawling wed sites like Seek and I'm sure some people get lucky and get offered a job before they leave but speaking out of our own experience Oz companies really respond well to walking in with your CV or "Resume" I'm a HD mechanic and applied for around 15 jobs before I left and got a number of replies asking me to pop in when i arrived! Scary to leave a well paid job, travel 1000's of miles with out that financial safety net we get used to. Take a long beep breath, Book the flight! come over with the can do attitude and I'm sure things will work out, It's such a buzz! That drive to work will never be the same again :)

Don't hold your breath, they're not that much better when you're here. :wacko:

I had a couple of months off when I got here then started looking properly and in the end, the company I'm working for 'found' me. It can take time but you will find something, it's not like the UK.

How did the company "find you"? Did you use something like linkedin?

How did the company "find you"? Did you use something like linkedin?

I am on Linkedin and a couple of other forums related to my field but it was through an application I'd submitted for another job that my CV was passed on to a couple of people and eventually landed in the lap of the project lead. I'm not entirely sure of the journey it took but I have heard similar stories from others.

Thats very encouraging.....right said can do attitude make things work....

Looking on-line is a good way of gleaning information on what's out there, we spent months trawling wed sites like Seek and I'm sure some people get lucky and get offered a job before they leave but speaking out of our own experience Oz companies really respond well to walking in with your CV or "Resume" I'm a HD mechanic and applied for around 15 jobs before I left and got a number of replies asking me to pop in when i arrived! Scary to leave a well paid job, travel 1000's of miles with out that financial safety net we get used to. Take a long beep breath, Book the flight! come over with the can do attitude and I'm sure things will work out, It's such a buzz! That drive to work will never be the same again :)

I have been in Perth for 5 months and have applied for over 80 jobs without luck, it is very much who you know in Perth rather than what you know. Just make sure you bring lots of money as it is far more expensive than you think to live and that you are happy to put in the hard work to find a job. But I would not swap it for the world its a fantastic place and I pray it works out for us.

Good luck

Dear npope;

May I ask you,what is your profession?Why it took so long without any success? What are your views about this ? What is the availability and nature of odd jobs?Please share your experience.

Please do not get downhearted.....you will get the job!!

Thanks.

I have been in Perth for 5 months and have applied for over 80 jobs without luck, it is very much who you know in Perth rather than what you know. Just make sure you bring lots of money as it is far more expensive than you think to live and that you are happy to put in the hard work to find a job. But I would not swap it for the world its a fantastic place and I pray it works out for us.

Good luck

Hi Hassan, I work in IT, I have been working for a Large Global Law Firm for 15 years and made it to IT Director, I have technical and managerial skills but still no luck. I am looking for a large range of work not just senior levels. It really is who you know most jobs go to mates or internal, you have to spend your time networking and getting to know people and lots of knocking on doors.

I am willing to do any kinds of work I am not scared of hard work, I just need that one lucky break.

Thanks for your reply!

My heartfelt prays for you! From your brief introduction,I got the impression that you must be looking for any executive level job....it is natural....I am much junior to you at experience forefront, so can not advise,but wish that you get that lucky break as soon as possible!!

Are you here in Perth with your family?

Regards,

Hi Hassan, I work in IT, I have been working for a Large Global Law Firm for 15 years and made it to IT Director, I have technical and managerial skills but still no luck. I am looking for a large range of work not just senior levels. It really is who you know most jobs go to mates or internal, you have to spend your time networking and getting to know people and lots of knocking on doors.

I am willing to do any kinds of work I am not scared of hard work, I just need that one lucky break.

Yes we are up near Joondalup and don't get me wrong loving every minute, I am just looking at starting my own business maybe something like window and pool cleaning or even back to one of my old jobs car valeting.

Yes we are up near Joondalup and don't get me wrong loving every minute, I am just looking at starting my own business maybe something like window and pool cleaning or even back to one of my old jobs car valeting.

We had the same sort of experience when we arrived last June. OH is a chippy and he applied for sooo many jobs in all fields (labouring,Bunnings,all the agencies) but nothing. 6 months later he got a job through a friend labouring, FIFO for a civil engineering company. He now has his HR licence and still works or same company. It is hard as he is away 4 weeks at a time!!!

Window cleaning would be a good company to start, the ones I have looked at are very expensive so if you keep the rates low I'm sure you would get lots of work

Hang in there it will all come good :wink:

Guest painter

At present employment levels in Australia are the best in the world bar none.By all means search Seek,CareerOne,etc online for insights and resume submitting oppurtunities.I would also strongly suggest going to The West Australian website which is W.A's biggest newspaper. Pay 2-3 bucks and you can download the latest Saturday (only) edition which is loaded with jobs of all descriptions.Als0 maybe check online for Architects associations here.

Guest painter

You're an HD mechanic? Congrats mate,you're a license to print money. Experienced HD's in mining 150k+p.a with all the perks.Good onya.

Dear painter;

its very nice to know that HD Mechanic is licensed to print money.does for this purpose NOC is required from Western Australian Government or Central Bank of Australia..lol....never mind...would you please share which other trades/professions are like that.....

Thanks.

You're an HD mechanic? Congrats mate,you're a license to print money. Experienced HD's in mining 150k+p.a with all the perks.Good onya.

Fabulous support......I liked that......

Furthermore I was unaware of this newspaper job hunt medium......thanks for informing "Mr.Painter".....

Cheers,

At present employment levels in Australia are the best in the world bar none.By all means search Seek,CareerOne,etc online for insights and resume submitting oppurtunities.I would also strongly suggest going to The West Australian website which is W.A's biggest newspaper. Pay 2-3 bucks and you can download the latest Saturday (only) edition which is loaded with jobs of all descriptions.Als0 maybe check online for Architects associations here.