Chardy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest Shortc@ke82

Hi Guys

You seem like a friendly bunch so hope you dont mind me joining your thread!

I'm heading out to Perth shortly (alone :oL) so any advice on how to settle in and obstacles you've had to over come on arrival would be much appreciated.

I will be out during July for a few weeks and then from early September for the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance :o)

• 3 months later...
Guest Katy and Rob

Hello everyone, another little update,

We all must nearly be in oz now as the end of the year is approaching. Myself and OH are settled, and have our first visitor arriving this week.

We have also welcomed our beautiful son, two weeks ago. We now have our own Aussie.

Our furniture was with us, within a week of it arriving, and our dog is settled and out of quarantine, where she was looked after amazingly.

I would love to hear how you are all getting on.

take care

katy

Hello everyone, another little update,

We all must nearly be in oz now as the end of the year is approaching. Myself and OH are settled, and have our first visitor arriving this week.

We have also welcomed our beautiful son, two weeks ago. We now have our own Aussie.

Our furniture was with us, within a week of it arriving, and our dog is settled and out of quarantine, where she was looked after amazingly.

I would love to hear how you are all getting on.

take care

katy

Many Congrats on your new arrival!!! Where did you settle?

We've been back after our month trip since middle of July. No plans to move just yet, it's sods law that life has turned around here and is pretty sweet, we had an amazing time and met up with loads of fabulous people. So watch this space.

Hope everyone else is well, and their plans are all in place and sorted

Louise xx

Guest Katy and Rob
Many Congrats on your new arrival!!! Where did you settle?

We've been back after our month trip since middle of July. No plans to move just yet, it's sods law that life has turned around here and is pretty sweet, we had an amazing time and met up with loads of fabulous people. So watch this space.

Hope everyone else is well, and their plans are all in place and sorted

Louise xx

We settled in port Kennedy for now. But we both would like to go closer o Fremantle. It is very family orientated but we like walking distances from restaurants n beaches. I love port coogee x

Hi Katy and Rob and everyone else !!

Well finally we complete our house sale on Friday after a long 8 months, just right now waiting for the packers to turn up now ready to fill the container on Friday morning :err:

We are going to live in a local Hoseasons caravan for 10 days then we fly off to Orlando for 20 nights then on to Brisbane (via Dallas) for 4 nights before finally arriving in Perth on 12th November (12 days before our validation date!!)

My sister has organised a leaving party on the 14th so the tears will be done before we leave I hope !

Be in touch when we get there ! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well nearly a year already at the end of November, real quick, Port Coogee I work for the Company that owns the land it is going to be amazing when finished, I'm currently working on a new Dome cafe that is going there next to the new water park, it will have landscaped gardens, a marina service building, then just across there's going to be the shopping complex in about 4 years the place will be probably one of the premier spots in WA to live. If i could afford it I know what I'd do lol but with land being 400k plus for 300 sqm its out of our price range even with my staff discount!

• 1 month later...

Looks nice there mate !

Well we arrived last Monday the 12th had an interview on Tuesday, viewed a house on Friday, just after got the job offered, applied for the house on Saturday and got the call today and it's ours against 3 other applications.

Things are really good here so far !

Our rental is down the road a bit in Lakelands moving in w/c 10th Dec with the container arriving in Fremantle on the 4th. My job is a Telephone technician with the office in Balcatta but I'll be out and about all over !

Must sort the meet out, I have a long list of the gang somewhere !

:wink:Heya guys n gals... Not part of your group :o( but am a local real estate agent in Secret Harbour (bang in the middle of Rockingham and Mandurah) and would be very grateful if you would let me deal with any of your real estate queries either now or in the future... We are a POM family, moved over here in 05 and did a little boomeranging with the latest being arriving back here April 11 after spending two years back in Blighty... Our girls 13, 12 & 4, all love life in Perth and we have a great group of friends of ours from ack home who too have followed us over... We now all feel "at home" in this delightful part of the world.

Hope that those of you still left to make the journey over have a safe flight and might get to speak to you soon... You can PM me any time if you have any questions or queries :biggrin:

Take care

Claire

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted on here. We were finally granted out visa on 10.11.12. We told our family and friends our intensions at the point of lodging our visa at the end of June and from that point onwards it has left us in turmoil as to whether to stay or go. Whilst everyone has been supportive, they were very shocked and suddenly started expressing how they really felt about us. You think you know how they will feel, but you really don't until it's all real.

Anyway, since then it really has been a case of should we stay or should we go?

Shortly before the visa was granted, we decided to stay. After all my OH has a very good job here (Group FD) and I work for the NHS, so both fairly sound careers you would like to think. We have also worked our way up to a good sized house - generally life isn't that bad over here.

Our whole reasons for moving to Oz originally were my son (currently 10) would probably have a better future for him than what's in store on the Isle of Wight. The Isle of Wight is a great place for young children to grow up however, the unemployment is ridicuously high (the main trade is tourism) and there is a problem with drugs and alcohol.

For my husband we were hoping quality of life. He currently works very long hours. Our concern here in Oz is; whilst we appreciate he couldn't walk into a Group FD job, would his salary be so long it wouldn't be financially viable and would he be able to get a job at all? He's read in various places that ACCA (Accounting qualification) isn't recognised in Oz, even though he was means tested by the Australian equivalent when applying for the visa.

Myself...... well it's completely the weather. I get so low with british weather. As my friends say, when the sun shines so do I.

The dilema for us is really family and are we taking too huge a risk? Ironically I have just heard back from 'Wanted down under' (having emailed them my expression nearly a year ago) asking me to apply for the next series.

Our house is currently on the market and we have two interested couples but nothing concrete yet.

confused.com........................ what to do. Some positive comments would be really welcome. I need an outsiders perspective right now.

I totally get your dilemma, we feel exactly the same :-(

we got our visas sept 11 and had to validate by August this year, we went on a recce for a month thinking it would help us make a decision, unfortunately we are still in turmoil lol we loved Perth and the surrounding areas and had a fantastic month and we know we could with our daughters 11&16 have a fab life there and you are right the weather was amazing even in July! But I really never expected the total out pouring of love from our friends and family on our return! It was very humbling and took us off guard, I'm sorry to say I think even at 40&46 we've left it too late, we are too engrained in others lives and they in ours :-( If life was ****e here we'd go but we both have great businesses and beautiful friends and family, all I kept thinking the whole time we were away was omg I want to share this with my people. So no immediate plans for us to up sticks we'll stick with the good old west of Scotland weather and see what the next couple of years bring never say never!

good luck with everything keep us uptodate with your decision

warmest wishes

louise and John

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted on here. We were finally granted out visa on 10.11.12. We told our family and friends our intensions at the point of lodging our visa at the end of June and from that point onwards it has left us in turmoil as to whether to stay or go. Whilst everyone has been supportive, they were very shocked and suddenly started expressing how they really felt about us. You think you know how they will feel, but you really don't until it's all real.

Anyway, since then it really has been a case of should we stay or should we go?

Shortly before the visa was granted, we decided to stay. After all my OH has a very good job here (Group FD) and I work for the NHS, so both fairly sound careers you would like to think. We have also worked our way up to a good sized house - generally life isn't that bad over here.

Our whole reasons for moving to Oz originally were my son (currently 10) would probably have a better future for him than what's in store on the Isle of Wight. The Isle of Wight is a great place for young children to grow up however, the unemployment is ridicuously high (the main trade is tourism) and there is a problem with drugs and alcohol.

For my husband we were hoping quality of life. He currently works very long hours. Our concern here in Oz is; whilst we appreciate he couldn't walk into a Group FD job, would his salary be so long it wouldn't be financially viable and would he be able to get a job at all? He's read in various places that ACCA (Accounting qualification) isn't recognised in Oz, even though he was means tested by the Australian equivalent when applying for the visa.

Myself...... well it's completely the weather. I get so low with british weather. As my friends say, when the sun shines so do I.

The dilema for us is really family and are we taking too huge a risk? Ironically I have just heard back from 'Wanted down under' (having emailed them my expression nearly a year ago) asking me to apply for the next series.

Our house is currently on the market and we have two interested couples but nothing concrete yet.

confused.com........................ what to do. Some positive comments would be really welcome. I need an outsiders perspective right now.

• 1 month later...