Civil Engineering/ Construction work-- Whats the Job market like???

Guest hazelmac

Guest hazelmac

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are moving over Perth side in a few months, but before we do I was wondering if someone could advise what the Job market is like for Civil Engineer's or general construction work?

Long story short my employers here in Scotland have said that I see out my job contract here they will do there best to facilitate a move for us to Perth, however there is no specific job end in sight and nothing has been put onto paper. Me and my family have waited long enough and are concerned that if we wait till the job ends my employers will just turn round and say thanks, but no thanks.

Before we make the move I want to check there are jobs out there, as I dont want to move my family and not be able to provide the best that I can for them.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Scott :)

Civils market is very good with some major construction work happening at the moment and due to happen over the next 10-15 years. There's currently the Perth CityLink sinking the railway line and bus station which will also involve some new buildings. Then I'm sure the West Australian Planning Commission will give the Waterfront project the go ahead with some works starting in April. The WACA cricket ground is also going to be redeveloped and the area around it in East Perth is a major regeneration area. Oh, and then there's the light rail system which they're only just really thinking about! The rail network is going to be extended as well.

Come on down!

Hi All, in a similar boat I will hopefully have my visa in a few weeks but uncertain if I should get straight out and get a job organsied or wait until the schools break up and move out in July or later. Has anyone managed to get a job before moving out or did they have to be in Oz first? Oh by the way I am from Tullibody (just outside Stirling).

• 1 month later...
Guest scoops123

I am also a Civil Engineer (4 years experience) and am at the start of my visa application. I have a few questions maybe someone here could help me with.

Im not Chartered so does that mean I cant apply under Civil Engineer on the ANSCO and will have to apply as an Engineering Technologist?? Its confusing and frustrating as Engineering Technologists are not on any of the State sponsered skills in demand lists so would mean i'd have to go through the timely and process of apply for a Independent visa.

Any help would be great!!

Hi All, in a similar boat I will hopefully have my visa in a few weeks but uncertain if I should get straight out and get a job organsied or wait until the schools break up and move out in July or later. Has anyone managed to get a job before moving out or did they have to be in Oz first? Oh by the way I am from Tullibody (just outside Stirling).

I applied on seeing an advert in The Guardian. Interviewed on Skype. Appointed. Arrived in October and met my boss for the first time!

I applied on seeing an advert in The Guardian. Interviewed on Skype. Appointed. Arrived in October and met my boss for the first time!

I've applied for a few jobs but with no luck eben though I have more than enough qualifications, but i've decided just to wait need to focus on work at home but always keeping a close eye on the job market and apply for the odd one that looks good in hope they are interested.

• 8 months later...

just be careful....Kaliber have just laid of a little over 100 civil engineers in Perth and a friends husband, after 3 months of lots of applications, has only just got a start this week :(. He is Australian with many years of experience. He went for a drink with a few of the ex work collegues and it would seem only 3 have yet to gain employment. Now most of these jobs were linked to the Mining industries.....but just warning you it may not be as easy as you first think.

Guest shaw234

To my surprise Perth is not my cuppa tea though people prefer living there but I prefer a regional area....and guess what I gotcha call for project manager's job today....and I am pretty much positive they are going to hire me :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey shaw,

How did the PM job pan out, we're you successful in your application?

I'm also a civil/project engineer with 4 years experience. I moved to Perth at the end of September with my partner on a 457 visa however after a month & a bit plus many applications have still had no luck with gaining a job (Not even an interview so far).

Many recruiters have told me we times the move at the worst possible time. A small dip in the mining sector has seen many companies losing employees. Due to this a few mining experts are moving back in to civils within the city (bad news for a British expat with no Oz experience).

Having local experience is a big thing here, if you haven't got any some recruiters won't even acknowledge you (mainly Civiljobs.com - utterly useless). Some recruiters say after a week of employment, the experience issue becomes void.

Well done & good luck if you managed to get the job, if not good luck with your search (we all need some to come our way!)

Be careful there is nothing but bad news coming out ofthe mining, engineering and construction sectors at the moment. BHP, RIO andFMG have stopped spending, Okagee has been canned, the new Fremantle port hasbeen canned. Redundancies are in the news regularly. At this stage it would bebetter to find a job first or be prepared to have a bitof a wait before you secure something. It has been said that things will getgoing a couple of months into the new year but that depends on the iron oreprice rising and other factors.

Always remember that WA is pretty much dependent on the resourcessector.

Been much the same for me, had 1 interview got asked back for second interview and then heard nothing. Been here for 8 weeks and been told that without a degree I will have no chance of getting a pm role even though I have 16 years experience (4 as a construction director). The sun is great but the ozzies are blinkered, they would rather have a pm with limited experience with a degree than one with a wealth of experience. Not the land of opportunity some people think.