Civil Engineering/ Construction work-- Whats the Job market like???

Guest hazelmac

I'm still in the same position. Met some recruiters who sent my cv to a few companies but haven't heard anything since so not holding my breath.

Looks as though things in Perth are nowhere near as good as people make out, or at least for the time being anyway. With any luck things WILL pick up after Xmas otherwise the move here would've been a huge mistake!

I've even started writing to companies about doing a free internship on a no pay basis just to gain some experience. Have had enough of receiving rejection letters with no explanation and other recruiters telling me I need WA exp. That would be good if I could get a job to gain that AMAZING experience that's required so much!

I'm pretty sure being a civil in the UK is much more challenging than in Oz where everyone seems to be so chilled and in the CBD shopping centre or leaving work at half 4!!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any other civil engineers here still looking for work? I know it's only January and the market is picking up a bit but I've still had no luck with even securing an interview let alone a position.

I thought things in the UK were bad when I left but not even having an interview in four months of being here is ridiculous is it not? I'm a dedicated engineer who loves his work so I have no Idea why I am not getting anywhere....