High cost of living bla bla bla....:)

piccolo

We are hoping to come to Perth this year all going well. The problem I have is my sister is there since September with her OH and 3 kids (9,6,and 3) and is living in Kingsley. She keeps going on about how expensive everything is and how they've no money. My Mother is just back from spending a month with them and is going on and on and on about the high cost of everything in Perth. It's like she's trying to talk me out of moving indirectly by going on about it so much. I'm starting to get annoyed because we really want to make the move.

I can't help but feel that my Mum's opinion is influenced by the fact that my sister's husband is bringing in $1000 a week and their rent is $550! He is scaffolding with his brother's company but had applied for 9 jobs in retail (this is where his experience lies) and got no replies. My sister has been for 3 interviews for a teaching job in high school and got none of them either. So they're coming home now next month (other family reasons for this, not just cost of living) after less than a year in Perth.

I don't know what to think anymore. My OH's brother is also living there with his aussie girlfriend (no kids) and says yes, things are expensive but the wages reflect that etc. We have one child, aged 1....so school fees not an issue yet. What are your opinions? Is my Mother right?!! She also said that it seems to be the way in Perth that the women don't really work, the men do. Childcare costs are high, food/wine etc also high. Would appreciate any input you may have.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest milbony

Having 3 children myself and hoping to be living in Perth in a few month time, I am interested in what people have to say about your thread.

My husband is an electrician by trade and wages are definately better there than the UK so even though the cost of living is higher, it balances itself out through the wages. However, if you have a profession that is paid roughly the same in Perth as it does in UK, it will certainly seem very expensive. You could however, look at other positives.....great weather, outdoor lifestyle, better prospects for our children.....etc.

My husband is a fitter/machinist so wages do seem to be higher in Perth but maybe longer hours there too than in Ireland. I just feel that my family are being overly negative about Perth in a bid to prevent me from taking the plunge and going! But what I'm wondering is, are they just being realistic or negative?!

Some things in Perth are expensive, there is no denying that. This is a result of the mining boom, which is creating so many of the well paid jobs. For middle income earners who are not yet on the property ladder and who do not want to live and work in the outer suburbs, this can create financial problems as rentals are in high demand and therefore very expensive, and supermarket prices are inflated.

The best way to afford your lifestyle is to manage it. Determine what it is you want from your move to Australia. If it's a big house with two flash cars in the garage, private school and lots of toys for your children, fine dining and holidays in Yallingup, then you will need to get a 'fly in, fly out' job up north in the mines. Or be very cashed up when you arrive. If you are happy to live in the more rural areas, then you will find the cost of living a whole lot better. Housing is cheaper, local schools are very goood and you can still expect to find a well paid job, particularly in your trade as most of them have headed to the mines! Consider places like Bunbury and surrounds. Australian rural communities are generally strong and supportive. You will soon meet and make friends with the locals, opening new doors of opportunity.

Wherever you decide to live, your children will settle quickly if you get them outside, to the beaches, local sports clubs and play grounds. A healthy outdoor lifestyle is the most affordable thing in Australia. Team sports are abundant, so get your children involved from the start. They will soon have new friends, and through them you will meet many people who can offer you local advice and support.

If this is something that you really want, then do not be put off by the experiences of others. As they say here 'If you never, never go, then you never, never know'.

And if you have not yet started your application, then you will need to do so now as the rule changes in July may crush your plans altogether. Good luck.

I have lived in Perth almost 7 years and I have seen prices of everything go up dramatically. Coupled with the decline in house prices in the UK and the terrible exchange rate I can, hand on heart, say that I wouldn't make the move now. Unless you are bringing a substantial amount of cash and you know you are going to get good, well paid jobs I wouldn't even consider it. Harsh, perhaps. Easy for me to say I guess as I am here but it is hard work emigrating and if you are under financial pressures this often makes it worse. Good luck with your decision.

I have lived in Perth almost 7 years and I have seen prices of everything go up dramatically. Coupled with the decline in house prices in the UK and the terrible exchange rate I can, hand on heart, say that I wouldn't make the move now. Unless you are bringing a substantial amount of cash and you know you are going to get good, well paid jobs I wouldn't even consider it. Harsh, perhaps. Easy for me to say I guess as I am here but it is hard work emigrating and if you are under financial pressures this often makes it worse. Good luck with your decision.

I have a somewhat different perspective.

We've just arrived from London. Mrs Portlaunay had a job offer with a 20% drop in salary and I had nothing.

Our house in London hasn't sold so we have no capital and all told it must have cost us £20k to get here - not just the physical move but the hidden costs too.

I settled in with the kids and took 3 months to find a job.

Our joint income is higher than the UK but, given the cost of living, in real terms we're financially worse off.

However, we felt London was no place to raise our 2 young children.

We struggled with the UK education system and lack of sport and creativity in the curriculum.

We were concerned that the cost of living in the UK was increasing but lack of investment in infrastructure, public spaces, community projects and out of school recreation for kids meant that standard of living was in rapid decline.

We were worried about the social attitudes of people - the lack of community spirit and people concerned mainly with what they can get rather than what they have to offer and people generally not taking responsibility for their own environment.

Increase in tackling social problems by use of force/laws/policing rather than address the core issues.

I could go on.

It remains to be seen whether all of the issues above have been addressed by this move but already we and our children are happier feel safer and more secure and they go to a school with a flexible and more creative curriculum.

Money isn't everything. I've said it in other threads, we are 'poorer' here but so, so much richer.

When I was a child on a council estate in Essex we were not rich but I had a great childhood with incredibly supportive and loving parents, I wouldn't swap that for any amount of money and I don't think my kids would either.

I have a somewhat different perspective.

We've just arrived from London. Mrs Portlaunay had a job offer with a 20% drop in salary and I had nothing.

Our house in London hasn't sold so we have no capital and all told it must have cost us £20k to get here - not just the physical move but the hidden costs too.

I settled in with the kids and took 3 months to find a job.

Our joint income is higher than the UK but, given the cost of living, in real terms we're financially worse off.

However, we felt London was no place to raise our 2 young children.

We struggled with the UK education system and lack of sport and creativity in the curriculum.

We were concerned that the cost of living in the UK was increasing but lack of investment in infrastructure, public spaces, community projects and out of school recreation for kids meant that standard of living was in rapid decline.

We were worried about the social attitudes of people - the lack of community spirit and people concerned mainly with what they can get rather than what they have to offer and people generally not taking responsibility for their own environment.

Increase in tackling social problems by use of force/laws/policing rather than address the core issues.

I could go on.

It remains to be seen whether all of the issues above have been addressed by this move but already we and our children are happier feel safer and more secure and they go to a school with a flexible and more creative curriculum.

Money isn't everything. I've said it in other threads, we are 'poorer' here but so, so much richer.

When I was a child on a council estate in Essex we were not rich but I had a great childhood with incredibly supportive and loving parents, I wouldn't swap that for any amount of money and I don't think my kids would either.

I hope that works for you, you are correct money isn't everything but if you can't make ends meet then that makes for a pretty miserable existence. Many people come and can't make ends meet and find life without family support too hard. I think this is something realistic that needs to be highlighted to prospective migrants. I too was brought up on a council estate and we had no money, pound coins in the gas meter and ice on the inside of the windows during the winter. Thankfully we don't live in that world anymore. It is admirable that you have high expectations for your family life but for many these don't put food on the table.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and I wouldn't go back to England for all the tea in china but a lot of people will not share your view. They want a shiny new build and 4x4 and the differences will be a bad thing rather than a good thing in your case. I just wanted to highlight that many will find it hard.

I totally agree with everything posted on this thread. We have 3 kids and just make ends meet in the UK (bit less lately due to migration cost) and we know for the first couple of years things are going to be pretty much the same in Oz. My hubby is a Welder and his wages are a lot higher than UK with less hours thankfully and the main aim of our move is the quality family life. We want to embrace all the things that come for free - the weather & fantastic scenery and as our kids get older I can return to work and financially things will improve. If reality for us is that while our children are young times will be hard then I would rather spend those times in Oz and see our boys thrive on the opportunities and lifestyle it has to offer than remain in the UK. At least in Oz they will actually get to spend their youth with their dad and he will get to see them grow up. He's missed out on far too much of that already. Our idea of fantastic perfect life is fun family time just enjoying life all together. It does frustrate me when I see these people who think they are going to go to Oz and have a large 4bed house with swimming pool & close to the beach straight away and then moan about the cost of living when they never had these things in the UK anyway! The times of UK pound going a lot further in Oz are behind us and the reality is unless you are lucky with a nice nest egg behind you - financially life is going to be pretty similar to that in the UK but what a place to be able to call your home. That to us is so much more important that the material things, they come and go through life but the memories and times shared living in such a beautiful country will far outweigh any of their value! x

exquisite to say the least!!!

Regards.

Some things in Perth are expensive, there is no denying that. This is a result of the mining boom, which is creating so many of the well paid jobs. For middle income earners who are not yet on the property ladder and who do not want to live and work in the outer suburbs, this can create financial problems as rentals are in high demand and therefore very expensive, and supermarket prices are inflated.

The best way to afford your lifestyle is to manage it. Determine what it is you want from your move to Australia. If it's a big house with two flash cars in the garage, private school and lots of toys for your children, fine dining and holidays in Yallingup, then you will need to get a 'fly in, fly out' job up north in the mines. Or be very cashed up when you arrive. If you are happy to live in the more rural areas, then you will find the cost of living a whole lot better. Housing is cheaper, local schools are very goood and you can still expect to find a well paid job, particularly in your trade as most of them have headed to the mines! Consider places like Bunbury and surrounds. Australian rural communities are generally strong and supportive. You will soon meet and make friends with the locals, opening new doors of opportunity.

Wherever you decide to live, your children will settle quickly if you get them outside, to the beaches, local sports clubs and play grounds. A healthy outdoor lifestyle is the most affordable thing in Australia. Team sports are abundant, so get your children involved from the start. They will soon have new friends, and through them you will meet many people who can offer you local advice and support.

If this is something that you really want, then do not be put off by the experiences of others. As they say here 'If you never, never go, then you never, never know'.

And if you have not yet started your application, then you will need to do so now as the rule changes in July may crush your plans altogether. Good luck.

I

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and I wouldn't go back to England for all the tea in china but a lot of people will not share your view. They want a shiny new build and 4x4 and the differences will be a bad thing rather than a good thing in your case. I just wanted to highlight that many will find it hard.

Why do people want the shiny new build and the 2 4 wheel drives? Is that a measure of a successful move .. if it is then we're not successful because we moved into an older house which we have done work to. For us it wasn't the biggest house but a house we could afford in an area we really wanted to live I'm rather saddened to think that people will measure their success by the size of their house.

My in-laws went on and on about the price of tomatoes when they visited and how cheap they were in Asda compared to here - they were of course also working it on the exchange rate they'd got for their holiday $. My reply was to ask if it had stopped them eating them when I served them .... of course not.

I don't have the luxury working full time to shop around and go to different markets etc., but if you have the time to then there's plenty of savings to be made

my opinion is :-

the diff between oz and uk

uk

i avnt set up any direct debits here (in uk everything was dd) so on payday all my bills come out and wat ever was left was wat we had for a month

we had loads of bills ranging from mortgage , car ins for 2 cars , house ins , tv , int , credit card , life cover , elec , gas , water , c. tax mob fone contract

credit cards running of 2 cars but 2 wages but i was only part time

oz

so far I've paid rent , elec set up of internet n fone (no tv package) no council tax if u renting not paid water yet as they reckon u pay bills every 2 /3 months we pay car ins as we had to ave it with a new car , payg mobile so no contract bills

i think there is much to do here u don't need to spend money , however i think food is expensive but petrol is cheap

the most money we spend is on food as most days we are out to the parks/ beach for about 5 hrs most days so take picnics everywhere

u can go to most places for free which is fab as in the uk its always raining n have to pay for evrythin

i would do a list of the outgoings and wages and the same for oz roughly i can give u a little guide and I'm sure most people will help to and compare wat u be left with

personally i think if u struggling in the uk in the crap weather it doesn't matter if u struggling here as the kids will be happy when they are in the park or on a beach

lorna

Guest kazzy65

It's expensive here, but wait!

I'm in Kingsley. I moved out here on my own, well with my youngest daughter.

I work full time as a nurse and my wage is very similar to your bro-in-laws, BUT I am a single parent, my rent is high and that takes up a fair chunk of my salary each fortnight. Kingsley is one of the more 'upper crust' areas. There are other cheaper areas, depends on what lifestyle you want etc. I love Kingsley so am prepared at the moment to suck the high rent tho have to admit it's not as high as your bro-in-laws. They must have a very nice house!!

I pay $410 a week for a 3 x 1 with a study which I use as a 4th bedroom if needed. I have quite big gardens and am close to the transport networks and about 5 mins away from the coast and posh areas, haha.

Food is quite expensive but there are the farmers markets in Wangara, about 10 mins away where you can buy really cheap vegs, meat, fruit etc, worth the 10 min trip.

There is also online shopping now, with shops equivalent to the pound shops in England coming online. Australia is behind but are beginning to catch up!

Look at the advantages to life out here tho too. Great weather, the beaches, the fabulous tourist places, some stunning areas!

If you're prepared to put the work in and ask around you can find that you can live fairly reasonably around here. I struggle sometimes and don't live the high faluting life that I would like to (but I didn't do that in England either)!!! Am sure if I can do it on a similar wage to your rellys (plus I have to send money back to England each month) then you should be okay, just have to be quite frugal.

Good luck in your decision making. I don't regret my decision to move here one bit.

Why do people want the shiny new build and the 2 4 wheel drives? Is that a measure of a successful move .. if it is then we're not successful because we moved into an older house which we have done work to. For us it wasn't the biggest house but a house we could afford in an area we really wanted to live I'm rather saddened to think that people will measure their success by the size of their house.

My in-laws went on and on about the price of tomatoes when they visited and how cheap they were in Asda compared to here - they were of course also working it on the exchange rate they'd got for their holiday $. My reply was to ask if it had stopped them eating them when I served them .... of course not.

I don't have the luxury working full time to shop around and go to different markets etc., but if you have the time to then there's plenty of savings to be made

Yes a lot do want those things, I have met lots of migrants that would rather live 40km out of Perth to get a shiny new build than one of the older houses like I have. They didn't move all the way here to live in a 70's and 80's dated shack (which apparently I did!) We didn't, we bought the cheapest house in our suburb and it still needs work doing this many years later. We do it when we have the money. We bought a nicer car 2 years ago to replace the banger we bought when we got here. You can tell my watching some of the Wanted Down Under shows that people are coming with unrealistic expectations and that things aren't the way they were years ago. All those outdoor sports don't come free either. We are just about to register for the new netball season, $400 for my 2 daughters for April to September. Put dancing or another sport and that costs a lot of money, not all outdoor things are free with is another common misconception.

It depends on what your job is and what you will be earning. Firstly, do not forget that while Australia and particularly WA is not in recession, this is largely due to mining. There are large parts of the rest of the economy on its knees. This goes someway to explaining why unemployment in parts of Perth is as bad as the UK. Kwinana are has almost 10%.

You need to find out what the going salary is for your job, then work on the basis of about 3:1 rule. That means that if your current salary is 30k, you need a Australian salary of $90k here to have the same lifestyle.

Do make sure you check out how in demand at the moment your job is. It wont be a lot of fun getting here to find your unemployed.

Because the expense aspect of Australian income statement is much projected ........whereas the income, individual lifestyle and the difference between necessities and luxuries aspects are missing.

regards!

Why would they do that?

Some very interesting replies thanks so much! Must admit it's left me feeling a little confused though. Verystormy, you say I should apply the 3:1 rule re salary. Does the same apply with the Euro as I'm in Dublin not the UK?

I would agree with the whole Wanted Down Under and people's expectations....I always feel they prefer the new builds and don't like the "federation" style houses at all. And I must admit I do like modern houses! But am of course prepared that that won't be a reality as we can only afford $400 rent a week as we'll be sending $80 a week home to supplement our Irish mortgage. We are hoping to survive on one wage so I can stay at home with our toddler and also I want to have another baby (preferably in Oz!) but I'm happy to work 3 days if needed too. But I haven't even looked at whether it would be worth it versus the cost of childcare etc.

Thanks again, I'll re-read this thread again and discuss things with my OH tonight.

Really difficult to say as i dont know anything about cost of living in Dublin. Do you have any idea what the salary of your partner will be here? Then we can probably advise on what sort of lifestyle that would give you here. I would say this is something that is essential before you think of getting on the plane. Do not become one of those that arrive and find there lifestyle has diminished so badly all they want to do is go home.

As for houses. I love the federation houses. But, when renting they will either be stunning inside and hence VERY expensive, or a total dump that you cant do much about because its not your house. When buying, i am afraid i will go for a new build. That is because i am incredibly bad at DIY. Shockingly bad. Also, i dont want to find that i am comming home on break after 6 weeks in the jungle to spend my time off working on a house.

A rent of $400 is very doable. It will depend on where you want to live. We are down past Mandurah and have a brand new 3 story house with pool next to the beach for $320. But, we are a fair way from the city. Though i used to commute it.

Thanks for the reply. I would say my OH would be hoping for a salary of $35-40 an hour, working maybe up to 50 hours a week? We really don't want to get on a plane with no job for him, we are hoping for a 457 as a result so have not started a 175 process because it could be futile if he gets a 457. It's kinda a catch 22 because for a 175 you have to get skills assessment but you don't for a 457 so we are reluctant to start spending money when he may not need it anyway.

I'm not sure that we would want to live that far out of the city as my OH's brother lives NOR in Joondanna but it seems like you defo get more for your money the further out you go, plus we have a dog and I believe that Mandurah and other areas are more welcoming to pets when renting.

That salary would give you a reasonable lifestile here, not fantastic and saving will not happen much but you can live on that as a family. What does he do?

The 457 visa is a reasonable option and is what i came out on. There are some downfall of it though that you should be aware of. The main being that if he loses his job then he 28 days to find another that will act as sponsor. Otherwise your sent off packing. In 2008 there were a fair few people this happened to.

Also, you need to be prepared to move quick. When the offer for the job arrives, the visa normally only takes about a month and the employer will expect you on a plane pretty much there and then.

As for Mandurah, yes we found rentals to be a lot easier with a dog than Perth. We struggled to get anywhere nice in Perth that would take ours. But in Mandurah it seemed like most would. Its also not as far from the city as you think. By train it is 50 mins and very cheap and at peak periods run about every 10 mins.

He is a Fitter/Machinist specialising in gear-cutting but can do all general CNC/Milling etc... Ya I knew we would have to be prepared to move quick but I'm being made redundant in 2 weeks and OH works for his Dad so it is doable I would say. Maybe we need to start looking further afield than just NOR.

I dont have any knowledge about how in demand that is here which will dictate your chances of firstly getting a 457 and secondly of getting a decent wage from it. I had a look on seek for cnc and the salary your anticipating would be at the very top end. There was a ad for a cnc to be based in Karathar offering $44 an hour, but for that town that is fairly low where rentals can be $1000 a week.

All you can do is try and see if there is a sponsor out there. But do be prepared for the fact that a lot of manufacturing sectors in Oz are in recession after a lot of work has gone off shore so it might be a slog to find one. I was on another board the other day with an archietect and he had applied for 200+ jobs with no response, the reason being that construction is another area being hit.

thanks verystormy, well he has made contact with some engineering companies and one expressed interest and said they could offer sponsorship. They asked for more info about him (all of this was over email), he gave it and hasn't heard anything in nearly 2 weeks. He has tried ringing the MD but can't get him, he'll try again tomorrow.

Any of the jobs he's seen advertised online are paying $35 average. His occupation is on the SOL for WA too. Some of the companies he's looking at do work for the mining industry, ie making parts for mining machinery, boring machines etc. Thanks for all the info though. We may start looking at places near Rockingham as he may be working in Kewdale which would mean a long commute for him from Mandurah which is not an option.