Mining work

Hi everyone

I am a 31 year old bloke from the uk, and also hold dual nationality with NZ. I have been working as a plumbing and heating engineer in the uk for the past 2 years. Before that I was a plant operator in the golf course construction industry for 2 years.

I am arriving in Perth on the 4th feb and looking to get out onto the mines. I have been looking at course sin Perth which offer plant tickets and the cost is over $3000, with no guarantee of work once I have them. The research I have done so far seems that companies are not keen to take on trainees.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice or guidance on what would be e best step to take next. Should I pay a fee for the ticket or try another way in.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers

Chris

Guest mickbro
Hi everyone

I am a 31 year old bloke from the uk, and also hold dual nationality with NZ. I have been working as a plumbing and heating engineer in the uk for the past 2 years. Before that I was a plant operator in the golf course construction industry for 2 years.

I am arriving in Perth on the 4th feb and looking to get out onto the mines. I have been looking at course sin Perth which offer plant tickets and the cost is over $3000, with no guarantee of work once I have them. The research I have done so far seems that companies are not keen to take on trainees.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice or guidance on what would be e best step to take next. Should I pay a fee for the ticket or try another way in.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Alot of plant operator job ads ask for minesite experience, you maybe better off looking at companies around perth to start with build up your experience in perth.You don't always need tickets it's experience they look for in alot of cases.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Guest Catnoehughes

Hi Chris,

A guy I know from home came over with no experience and got a job with a mining contractor who provided him with all the training and paid for all the tickets he needed. The only downside was that he was a contractor to the contractor (if ya can follow me :) )

Cat

Guest Catnoehughes

Hi Chris,

My mate is in Sydney at the mo and also lost his phone (he's a disaster!!) I'll message him on FB and try get as much info as possible out of him and forward it onto ya :)

Cat

Guest Catnoehughes

Hey Chris, I mailed my mate so waiting on his reply. He's not the most reliant of fella's so I wouldn't be expecting answers any time soon ha ha but if and when I hear back for him I'll PM ya :)

Cat

I would not even think of blowing that sort of money. I am a manager for a large mining company and we get no shortage of plant operators. Firstly for a lot of plant - diggers and dozers etc, there isnt actually that many of them used even on a large mine. Trucks obviously are, but truck drivers are two a penny. Hence the fact that we start truckies on about $75k for two weeks on one off.

When we want plant staff we will usualy look for guys that have mine experience as it makes life a lot easier and 80% of those who come fresh into it do not last.

• 3 months later...
Guest c-zed
I would not even think of blowing that sort of money. I am a manager for a large mining company and we get no shortage of plant operators. Firstly for a lot of plant - diggers and dozers etc, there isnt actually that many of them used even on a large mine. Trucks obviously are, but truck drivers are two a penny. Hence the fact that we start truckies on about $75k for two weeks on one off.

When we want plant staff we will usualy look for guys that have mine experience as it makes life a lot easier and 80% of those who come fresh into it do not last.

Is there any way for "unqualified" worker from abroad to come in some mine?

I hate when i have to tell "unqualified" because it is relative from case to case.

Im trying to come in mining industry as "unqualified" even though i have master diploma in economy and experience in working with explosives, HR and security jobs.

Are mining companies interested in bringing "multifunctional" workers, who will need some kind of training and some time to achieve maximum of functionality?

Mining companies do hire unexperienced staff but it is hard to get into as there is non shortage of applicants.

You would just need to plug away at applying for jobs. Look at seek.com.au and infomine.com

Just be aware it isn't an easy lifestyle, the work is often Very dull and the pay only slightly better than what you will earn in Perth. In fact the hourly rate is often less. Just that on a mine site you do more hours