Private Schools in Northern Suburbs - any good?

lynnrob

Hi there!

We are moving in June/July with a 5 and a 7 year old and really struggling with attempting to find a school. Have to live NOR due to distance to work and looking at North Beach, Watermans Bay, Trigg, Sorrento, Hillary's, Duncraig and Carine. Maybe Ocean Reef. I have heard that schools such as Scotch College are good but don't want to have to drive down to there with kids only to have to drive back up again for work. Would like a co-ed primary school which is not too religious but this seems to rule out lots. Would consider single sex schools if not too far apart ( we have one boy and one girl).

Any suggestions? Kids are a private school here so we are used to being skint! State schools an option but will be staying in temporary accom before renting longer term so won't have an address so presumably can't register.

Does anyone know about the International School - seems to have good results but quite small? Montessori schools?

Finally is it best to wait until arrive to look at schools- would do this but will this not mean them being out of school for a long while? Was hoping they could start within a month of us arriving.

Any advice on schools or the suburbs NOR gratefully received.

Hi there!

We are moving in June/July with a 5 and a 7 year old and really struggling with attempting to find a school. Have to live NOR due to distance to work and looking at North Beach, Watermans Bay, Trigg, Sorrento, Hillary's, Duncraig and Carine. Maybe Ocean Reef. I have heard that schools such as Scotch College are good but don't want to have to drive down to there with kids only to have to drive back up again for work. Would like a co-ed primary school which is not too religious but this seems to rule out lots. Would consider single sex schools if not too far apart ( we have one boy and one girl).

Any suggestions? Kids are a private school here so we are used to being skint! State schools an option but will be staying in temporary accom before renting longer term so won't have an address so presumably can't register.

Does anyone know about the International School - seems to have good results but quite small? Montessori schools?

Finally is it best to wait until arrive to look at schools- would do this but will this not mean them being out of school for a long while? Was hoping they could start within a month of us arriving.

Any advice on schools or the suburbs NOR gratefully received.

State Primary schools in that area are all very good. My daughter used to go to Marmion Primary and I have friends at North Beach Primary, Sorrento Primary and Carine Primary and they all say they are very good. Personally I would wait until you arrive. Private schools usually have VERY long waiting lists and a lot of state schools will require you to live in boundary to enrol. Where will you be working???

Its good that the state schools are good quality. Do you know if they allow you to register if you are in temporary rented accomodation ie for 2 months? I will be working in Warwick. Also need to get them into a school reasonably quickly otherwise will have childcare issues.

my fella started preprimary last week at Hillarys Primary. It is a lovely little school. When is your 5 yr old 6? If they are not 6 before June 30th they will still be in Preprimary and that is not compulsary so the school doesn't have to find them a spot. If it is after 30th June they will be in year 1 so they have to take them if you are in the catchment. If you have a lease the school should be able to help. Most of the state schools will only really deal with you once you are here as they get alot of enquirys from overseas. Hillarys Primary had 30 new kids register over the christmas holidays. To be honest the areas that you are looking at I wouldn't bother with private as they all have really good primary schools, you can always save your pennys for High school but you might want to put their name done for HS as soon as you get here.

Thanks vmuch for the info. My 5yr old not six until next march so useful to know that may be difficult get a preprimary place. She has already done half a year at school here so will be weird going back a bit. You don't happen to know what information schools need for you to register with them - do they need to see a copy of the lease agreement and what if this is only temporary? Do they kick you out if you then move catchment area? How do you find out information on the catchment areas of state schools? Sooo many questions -sorry!

When I registered my 4yr old I needed the lease, passport, birth cert and Immunisation Cert. I hadn't moved into the accommodation at that stage but it proved that we were going to be living in the area. As far as I know the catchments are the suburb. You will probably need to look for permenant rental straight away as it can take awhile to find the right one. I would think for the older child you will need school transcripts etc. I know at our school they do a test with the older kids to see what level they are at.

• 1 year later...

so.... this is an old thread... what happened school wise?

I am moving to NOR later in the year, mine are enrolled at St Marks, which I did from Overseas. Would be really interested to hear how you got on, the decision you made and how this is working out a couple of years along the track.

so.... this is an old thread... what happened school wise?

I am moving to NOR later in the year, mine are enrolled at St Marks, which I did from Overseas. Would be really interested to hear how you got on, the decision you made and how this is working out a couple of years along the track.

we ended up with them going to sorrento primary school and are very happy with that choice. May think about private for high school.

• 4 weeks later...
we ended up with them going to sorrento primary school and are very happy with that choice. May think about private for high school.

We settled in Sorrento a few years ago and prior to coming to Perth were looking around the northern suburbs for good schools/ areas. I can honestly say that Sorrento and its Primary school are fantastic. It is a lovely area where you are never far from the beautiful beach, great parks and the harbour and restaurants at Hillarys.

Transport links are great, and the city is only 15-20 minutes by car.

Sorrento Primary is a brilliant school where countless people have said to me that you get a private education without paying the school fees as it is a state school and they get great results.

My advise to anyone would be try and get a house in an area like sorrento with a brilliant school and save yourself the school fees....the kids will love surf lifesaving which gives them a focus for weekends and the ability to have fun and keep fit. (Sure they will find something else for you to spend the money you saved in school fees!)