Arachnophobes beware - Redback in here!

portlaunay

Guest Jon&Beth

Im freaked out too! I cant cope with our 'safe' spiders nevermind these beasties and the babies are a worry....I have a 1yr old and 3yr old the 3yr old wouldnt touch one as she doesn't like them here but my 1yr old eats everything! lol..........seriously I know you can teach them to leave them well alone but I worry about one getting in a shoe or hiding somewhere they might put their hand at a park x

Ok, I've been here for 6 weeks and they are all over the garden/garage BUT, you just deal with them, it's really very easy.

We reduce the number of webs every couple of days just by brushing them up with a broom, this means they don't get the chance to lay any eggs and have to relocate.

I really, really hate killing anything and so will always try to catch them and take them well away from the house but if it was a choice between them and my 1 year old I'd reach for the thong/Mortein every time. It's quite rare to find Redbacks in the house but they do seem to like the space behind our front door, we just break up the web as soon as we see it.

Had a Huntsman in the house but left it alone - they love mozzies so very happy we have one running around and they are lightning fast and keep well away from you.

Not seen a snake but they are hard to find in the city - I've heard dunes at remote beaches or dense bush in parkland can home them but everywhere we go the kids invariably ask "Are there snakes in there?" They'll get a different answer from everyone present so it's best just to keep on the well trodden path.

If you fancy going for a stroll in the hills in thongs and shorts then good luck, you just have to be sensible.

This site has some useful information and sensible advice;

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/australian_snakes.html

There's no way anyone can really give you the reassurance you seek, you just gotta get here and...........................she'll be right.

• 3 weeks later...
Woke up to a massive huntsman spider (honestly big as a trantula), freaked me out ... no idea how it sneaked in

They are like ninja's, they're everywhere, watching, waiting.

They dare each other to crawl over you when you're asleep without waking you, they're very good at it.

You hate me now don't you?

Ha ha ha! Portlaunay you are terrible!!

Honestly it is not as bad as you think, you adapt so easy. I used to be really scared of spiders in the UK but in the 5 months being here I have seen so many different types and size of spiders that now I actually find them quite fascinating. I could probably identify a spider better than most Aussies now because of all the research I do every time I see one to make sure it isn't poisonous. You have to remember that most of the spiders are doing you a favor and eating flies and mozzies, and believe me you need any help you can get with reducing the flies because they stick to you here. My policy here is if it can bite and really put anyone in danger then kill it but if it aint gonna hurt you then it good to keep around to keep the smaller beasties away. And remember that huntsman eat redbacks.

As to the case of the little ones getting too close, when we first arrived I dealt with that by making a huge fuss any time I seen a creepy crawly, I would grab my 2 yo away and tell him not to go near, even if it was just a beetle or something. Sounds severe but now if he sees anything he will run and get me to check it out first and if it is safe we look at the insects together and talk about them so he isnt too scared. Does that make sense? lol. when i read it back to myself it looks as clear as mud but it late and bed time so Ill leave it at that! lol

All the best

Bev x

Guest tinkerbell

how can you possibly relax with these buggers walking around!!! do they get in top floor apartments, surely they cant be bothered climbing that high!!! I think ill get a tpo floor flat

Guest tinkerbell

the link to the sprider identification that was posted - this is the funniest thing ive ever read.... 'Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 50 year olds' hahha