Do you need help buying or renting in Perth?

Guest Ellasmyagent

Guest Ellasmyagent

Hi Everyone,

I just thought i would drop i line to let everyone know i am a real estate agent in Perth Western Australia and i would be more than happy to assist anyone looking at buying or renting in Perth.

If you have any questions regarding real estate please do not hesitate to contact me or if you have a specific property you are searching for let me do the hard work for you!

and feel free to pml me any questions you may have.

Best Regards

Ella Stratton

Guest beka n anto

i im just wondering what the process for renting is like over there as i hear its completely different to here, you need to apply? how long does it take etc? here you contact agent, view, pay your deposit and then pick your day to move in!!! i did contact an agent and they said when you get here contact us.. this doesnt suit most people! especially when you have kids to think about!

Good day Ella Statton,

I'm currently in Perth and have been to view several properties around Morley, Dianella, Nollamaru, Ballajura as I'm quite desperate to find a place to rent. Could you please give me some advice or hints on obtaining a rental with so much competition around. Its been quite disheartening to see over 40 families all looking at the same property each and every time ...

Thanks in advance

Paul

Guest rickcass12

Hi Ellas

Im due to land in perth on the 20th of march and just want a bit of advice my job is in jandakot but dont want to be to far away from the city as i am going over bymyself

where would you recommoned to be in the middle of it but not paying to much and for travel wise to jandakot?

Thanks.

Guest Ellasmyagent

Hi,

Yes the rental market is quite tough at the moment.

First you must view the property after this you put in your deposit (one weeks rent) and application on this application you will need to provide identification, pay slips and contact numbers for your references (previous real estate agencies you have rented through) after this your application is put through and once a couple applications have been received for the property they are processed and 3 people are chosen for the owner of the property to pick from. After this if your application is successful you will be pay your bond (4 weeks rent) and rent (2 weeks in advance) and arrange what date you will move into the property. If you application is not successful you will get your deposit back.

Feel free to add me on facebook just search Ellas my agent to keep up to date with the Perth real estate market. Any further questions just feel free to ask over this website

Best regards

Ella

Guest Ellasmyagent

Hi,

Yes it is quite a tough market at the moment with huge competition.

From experience i would say the best way to give yourself the best shot at getting the property would be to make sure all your references are good and even get written references from your boss and previous real estate agencies you rented through.

The best way to get a preference over the rest would be to offer a higher weekly rent, i am only saying this as this is what even i have had to do in the past to be considered for a rental property just an extra $10 per week may be the difference between your application being at the bottom of the pile of application or the top.

Best Regards

Ella

Guest Ellasmyagent
Hi Ellas

Im due to land in perth on the 20th of march and just want a bit of advice my job is in jandakot but dont want to be to far away from the city as i am going over bymyself

where would you recommoned to be in the middle of it but not paying to much and for travel wise to jandakot?

Thanks.

Sorry i am still learning how to use this website so please dont mind me if i am replying to all these the wrong way! I would say the best suburbs to be looking at for working in Jandakot would be around the Beeliar, Success and Central Cockburn area if you can let me know these couple things though i might be able to give you a better indication. Do you have your own transport or will you be using public transport? What price range are you looking at? Best regards

Ella Stratton

Guest Ellasmyagent
Hi Ella

What happens if you arent successful with the property - do you get your one weeks rent deposit returned to you? And if you are successful is the one weeks rent taken out of your bond and 2 weeks rent in advance?

Cheers

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

yes if you are not successful for the property you will have the deposit paid straight back to you and if you are this money will go towards your bond and rent in advance

Ella Stratton

Guest Ellasmyagent
Hi,

Just wondering what we can do for references. We will hope to arrive in Perth in Sept/Oct. We will have been in owned (with mortgage) properties for 17 years so won't have any previous rental references, what can we use instead ?

Justin.

Hi Justin,

You will be able to get personal references from your employers also bank statements to show that you have always paid your mortgage repayments on time would help you a huge deal as this will show the agent you will pay the rent on time as you did do your mortgage.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Ella Stratton

Hi,

From experience i would say the best way to give yourself the best shot at getting the property would be to make sure all your references are good and even get written references from your boss and previous real estate agencies you rented through.

The best way to get a preference over the rest would be to offer a higher weekly rent, i am only saying this as this is what even i have had to do in the past to be considered for a rental property just an extra $10 per week may be the difference between your application being at the bottom of the pile of application or the top.

Hope this has helped if you would like to stay in the loop with the Perth real estate market please like my page on facebook by searching Ella's My Agent

Best Regards

Ella

Hi ella

Myself, hubby and 4year old are arriving in perth on 23 july, we have a furnished rental for the first month to give us time to look for unfurnished place. We are thinking of banksia grove, new estate, kinross and maybe butler ( do unknow when the train link and freeway will be done for butler?) we are looking to maybe only pay $400 per week.

I own my property in the uk and have never rented, what paper work would we be best to bring? Also i was told that it might be easier to get a property in july/aug as its out of season, is this correct?

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Lesley

Hi Justin,

You will be able to get personal references from your employers also bank statements to show that you have always paid your mortgage repayments on time would help you a huge deal as this will show the agent you will pay the rent on time as you did do your mortgage.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Ella Stratton

Thanks Ella, that's great.

We are also considering owner building. Do you see many lots near schools/shops that are larger than 700sq.m for less than $200k ?

Hi,

Best Regards

Ella

I think it is ridiculous you have to offer to pay to pay a higher rent to secure a property. The rents are already ludicrously high in Perth, especially for some properties which are dumps and greedy landlords don't bother to keep the rentals in good condition because they know there is a shortage of rentals in good suburbs with good schools.

It is no wonder rents are so artificially high in Perth with this kind of advice. I feel sorry for prospective tenants because you have no way of knowing if your real estate chooses to put you forward as one of the three potential rents to a landlord. I've yet to meet a real estate you can trust.

I can't believe some of lies that come out of real estate agent's mouths whether you are looking for a rental, buying or selling a house.

well said kips. i totally agree and am disgusted that this estate agent is suggesting that we pay an extra $10 a week on top of the ridiculous rents being charged. i will make sure im not contacting this agent as i can see she must be in favour of the landlord getting every last cent of our hard earned money. Otherwise she would never dream to suggest that us tenants start competing with each other. not very ethical in my mind. Its disgraceful!!

Hi,

silly question time, we're in the same predicament .

weve always had a mortgage and have never rented.

also if you've just landed in Perth and been in a furnished rental for say 4 weeks and not had a pay slip or found a job , how can you prove that you have funds.

can you offer to pay say 6 moths up front instead

Just seems that's it's impossible for a newbie to get a rental

Hi Ella..we will be back in Perth Sept/Oct this year and so would be grateful for any assistance you can offer..we have rented in Perth before, so we are aware of the routine..my brother and his wife will be scouting around rental properties for us before we come..do you think it is possible to secure a place from the UK, so as to move in as soon as possible when arriving? Thank you...

Having to fork out the equivalent of a weeks rent just to have your application considered is ridiculous, and (so far) I have only ever come across this in Perth. When you are applying for several at a time, it becomes an expensive process. What concerned me more though, was being told by an agent that if my application was successful and I decided not to take the property, I would lose my deposit. Imagine being successful on three applications at $800 a time - this would mean losing $1600! Don't know how they get away with it.

Having to fork out the equivalent of a weeks rent just to have your application considered is ridiculous, and (so far) I have only ever come across this in Perth. When you are applying for several at a time, it becomes an expensive process. What concerned me more though, was being told by an agent that if my application was successful and I decided not to take the property, I would lose my deposit. Imagine being successful on three applications at $800 a time - this would mean losing $1600! Don't know how they get away with it.

That can't be allowed surely?

That can't be allowed surely?

That is pretty much what I said to the agent when she told me. Seems incredible, but that is exactly what this particular agent does. I have a house in the South West and I know that the agents down there do not charge for processing applications of prospective tenants. It has been suggested that it happens in Perth due to the large number of applications for each property, but surely that is the nature of the business. I expect in some cases it takes less time to look over the application than it does to complete it. On my first failed attempt, it took 10 days for the return of my $800 deposit. With twenty or thirty applicants for some properties, that's a nice little interest earner.

This doesn't sound right at all. I would contact someone like the Tenants Advisory Service in Perth - http://www.taswa.org. Tel 08 9221 9499. They might be able to help but if not will be able to direct you to the relevant organisation. Taswa has info online including fact sheets for tenants.

The way it normally works with new tenancies is that once you agree to the rental the deposit you paid goes towards your bond or first rental payment.

My advice to all newbies is check, check and check again with any information given to you by not only real estate agents but ANYONE trying to sell you a product or service whether buying a house, car, mobile phone, TV, signing up with a builder, utilities provider or Internet service.

Sales people here are very convincing but take everything with a pinch of salt. I can't stress enough about doing your homework. Always, always get 3-4 quotes for major purchases such as a car, air con, , mobile phone service provider, Internet service provider, TV etc. Do as much research as possible.

Call me an old cynic but "Do you need any help buying or renting in Perth?" sounds a lot like "This could be a nice way to boost my commission".

Anyone wanting impartial advice about buying or renting in Perth could just post asking for as much in the Household section.

My experience of Real Estate agents are that there are very few likeable ones and most are only interested in chasing the money and have little genuine concern for landlord or tenant.

The rental market and the hoops tenants are forced to jump through here in Perth are pretty awful and yes, we were told if we were accepted and then changed our minds we would not get our deposit back. When we challenged agents why this was none could give a satisfactory answer, it just seems poor practice has infected the whole system.

I'm surprised an agent is able to tout for business on this forum. Whilst I don't think they're being disingenuous, I do think the 'help' offered appears simply to be that of the same 'help' any other agent would.

Perhaps a more effective method of help and advice would be for those of us who are here to post up a rating system of Real Estate Agents we have dealt with with the emphasis on the ones that offer a good service rather than every keyboard warrior with a grudge venting spleen?

So, how about it? Who's found a good agent, why and where are they?

Guest Antony Seymour

Trying to find a rental Property in Perth is an absolute nightmare!! The best way is to get up early in the morning...load up gumtree and wait for rentals to come on there and ring the owner direct. No disrespect to Ella and I am sure she doesnt fall in to this category however we, and others found Real Estate agents to be rude, lazy and unhelpful. Because the market is so busy they just sit back and do very very little for their commission. When we viewed one property and asked the agent if the garden maintenance was to be include in with the rental price we were told'' Do you want to apply for the property or not''!! Its not like in England where agents are nice and helpful....not by a long shot. You have been warned!!

Guest Ellasmyagent
Call me an old cynic but "Do you need any help buying or renting in Perth?" sounds a lot like "This could be a nice way to boost my commission".

Anyone wanting impartial advice about buying or renting in Perth could just post asking for as much in the Household section.

My experience of Real Estate agents are that there are very few likeable ones and most are only interested in chasing the money and have little genuine concern for landlord or tenant.

The rental market and the hoops tenants are forced to jump through here in Perth are pretty awful and yes, we were told if we were accepted and then changed our minds we would not get our deposit back. When we challenged agents why this was none could give a satisfactory answer, it just seems poor practice has infected the whole system.

I'm surprised an agent is able to tout for business on this forum. Whilst I don't think they're being disingenuous, I do think the 'help' offered appears simply to be that of the same 'help' any other agent would.

Perhaps a more effective method of help and advice would be for those of us who are here to post up a rating system of Real Estate Agents we have dealt with with the emphasis on the ones that offer a good service rather than every keyboard warrior with a grudge venting spleen?

So, how about it? Who's found a good agent, why and where are they?

Its pretty funny that you think i have posted this to ‘boost my commission’ I simply came across this site and saw there were many questions about renting in Perth so thought I would offer my knowledge on the Perth real estate market. I am a real estate representative, not a property manager this means I do not work with rental properties however I have been trained in this area as well as sales. To say that I may be doing this to ‘boost my commission’ is funny as well as I do not see how this could possibly be a way for me to make any money by sharing my knowledge with others and I only get a commission from a seller of a home if I sell there property. A property manager does not work off a commission and is paid a weekly wage so I do not see how this could possibly to book MY commission or anybody elses.

The hoops property managers (please not I AM NOT A PROPERTY MANAGER!) make you jump through are in place to protect themselves and the owners of the property to ensure the tenant they put in the property pays there rent and keeps the property maintained. If you owned a property and had someone living in it im sure you would want to make sure they would keep up to date with there rent and not ruin your property. In regards to not getting the deposit back if you apply for a property and you are successful this is to stop people applying for a property and then changing there minds about the property as before you are accepted for a property the property manager has to do all your backround checks and then go to the owner of the property and explain this all to them and get their approval. If you then come back and say ‘I don’t want the property anymore’ it means they have done this all for nothing and wasted everybody’s time and also means the property is left vacant for longer while another application is sorted through costing the owner money while the property is not receiving any rent.

If you view all my replies I have simply been trying to help and offer my knowledge of the real estate market in Perth. I would not have tried to help if I knew I would be looked upon like this.

Guest Ellasmyagent
Trying to find a rental Property in Perth is an absolute nightmare!! The best way is to get up early in the morning...load up gumtree and wait for rentals to come on there and ring the owner direct. No disrespect to Ella and I am sure she doesnt fall in to this category however we, and others found Real Estate agents to be rude, lazy and unhelpful. Because the market is so busy they just sit back and do very very little for their commission. When we viewed one property and asked the agent if the garden maintenance was to be include in with the rental price we were told'' Do you want to apply for the property or not''!! Its not like in England where agents are nice and helpful....not by a long shot. You have been warned!!

I think you have real estate agents confused with property managers. I am a real estate agent and i sell houses i am however also trained in property management which is why i offered my help. Yes i do agree with you that some property managers can be very lazy however you should know that they do not work off a commission they are paid a weekly wage and they work that they do is not soley finding tenants for properties is involves organising maintanance for their properties and chasing up on rent from late tenants also inspections writing up property condition reports and many other bits and pieces and please remember that some property managers have rent roles of hundreds and hundreds of properties so there is alot of work that they have to get done. I am not a property manager however as i do work selling peoples houses and the only reason i did write up this post was to help people with any questions they may have had about the Perth property market it is crazy that people could possibly think it was to raise my commission i really dont see how it could possibly make me any money but if someone could tell me i would love to know!