Silly question about white goods and electriacl goods

fiona

Hi

Could somebody please tell me if all our electrical stuff will work ok or do I need to get adapters. Do white good travel well and do they need anykind of paperwork to accompany them when in transit.

I am getting my self confused with thing's to do here and there :wacko:.

Thank all

No douby more silly questions on the way.

We shipped our dishwasher, washing machine etc & were told we'd have no problems. Will find out in 10 days as they due to arrive.

You will need to get the plugs changed over on items like that but I'm still using my UK power cable to my laptop etc just fine with a plug adaptor.

Best of luck

It all works fine, so long as you have adapters, you can bring them or buy them here, although they do seem a bit pricey here. I didnt ship any of that stuff, I slung all mine and bought new here, but plenty of people do ship it all and they are fine. There are no silly questions, we have all asked them so dont worry fire away.

• 1 month later...

Go on Ebay before you leave buy a box load( uk to oz adaptors ) they work out around a quid each!

If shipping washing machine make sure the transit bolts are fitted or the journey may damage the balance of the machine and end up down the tip or a hefty repair bill.All items shipped have to be as clean as new or big fumigation charges at customs this end.

Im trying to find out about connecting my laptop to ozzy tv with sound,any ideas anyone?

John

Im trying to find out about connecting my laptop to ozzy tv with sound,any ideas anyone?

John

Displaying laptop picture onto TV? Should work the same as in the UK (unless you're using some very peculiar setup/hardware/connection types).

How much did it cost to ship all over including packaging shipping and clearance charges and transport to your home from the shippers?

Thats the basic logic im refering to,if your shipment worked out financially viable,then well done Arwen

Jon

#

We brought everything and just changed the plugs when we got here. My washer has only just died and I have been here 7 years.

Hi Jono

Our shipping is costing £3,330 for 20ft container insurance extra plus costs on arrival in Perth customs. We were pointed to Anglo Paciffic by the company oh is going to be working for. They sent a local company Mason of Barry in S Wales to estimate. Also asked them for a quote as found they would actually be doing the packing transporting of goods to the port etc. So as being a local firm we went with them but I did obtain quotes from Masons PSS also. But realised that the work would be shipped to Mason of Barry so no point really going with the big company for this reason .........as living in small village in Wales, gave local firm the contract.

ps I will let you all know how it goes in good time

love n light

Mary

Hi

Could somebody please tell me if all our electrical stuff will work ok or do I need to get adapters. Do white good travel well and do they need anykind of paperwork to accompany them when in transit.

Thank all

We brought everything, it all works, dont rely on adapters, they tend to overheat, especially if fitted to high current draw appliances, like washing machines, fridges and tumbledryers, Bunnings sell Aussie plugs for about $2 each, change the plugs on big items and keep the adapters for stuff you dont use that often, fridges dont travel that well, make sure it stays upright and leave it for 24 hours to settle once its delivered before you plug it in.

My adapter even overheated on this laptop power cord, I bought an Aussie power cord from Dick Smith.

Your digital telly might not work as it is region specific, I bought a cheap Aussie digi box and it works fine

Guest cadams

Would strongly not recommend for items that demands a lot of current via an adaptor, chargers for phones etc..fine. But ghd's, kettles etc be cautious. Buy a load of cheap 4 gang adaptors from B&Q then swap the plugs on them when you get here, I took. Several in my suitcase for all the chargers. The only thing I couldn't get working was DAB radio.

Guest garyheidi7

Hi just wondered if anyone has experience on taking a fridge/freezer to oz, we are taking all the other usual white goods, but a couple of container companies said we should nt take it, something to do with the gas and customs may dispose it at my cost and also said it would nt work as efficiently over there and would end up being a beer fridge,?? so we decided not to include ours in our container but looking at the price of the american style fridge/freezers in oz im thinking maybe we should take it after all. any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi just wondered if anyone has experience on taking a fridge/freezer to oz, we are taking all the other usual white goods, but a couple of container companies said we should nt take it, something to do with the gas and customs may dispose it at my cost and also said it would nt work as efficiently over there and would end up being a beer fridge,?? so we decided not to include ours in our container but looking at the price of the american style fridge/freezers in oz im thinking maybe we should take it after all. any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Your shipping companies should do their homework, as an immigrant, you get a one shot deal in importing all your possessions customs free, including any appliances that have cfc's including your fridge, this is the only time you dont need a permit to import your fridge or any other appliance that has cfc's doesnt matter how old it is, they are just trying to put you off as fridges do not travel well and dont always work at the other end, and if you have insured it with them they are going to end up replacing it.

I brought my fridge freezer and it works fine, just make sure you let it stand for 24 hrs after it has been delivered

Guest garyheidi7
Your shipping companies should do their homework, as an immigrant, you get a one shot deal in importing all your possessions customs free, including any appliances that have cfc's including your fridge, this is the only time you dont need a permit to import your fridge or any other appliance that has cfc's doesnt matter how old it is, they are just trying to put you off as fridges do not travel well and dont always work at the other end, and if you have insured it with them they are going to end up replacing it.

I brought my fridge freezer and it works fine, just make sure you let it stand for 24 hrs after it has been delivered

excellent, thanks Druid for your reply and info, thats good news then, our container is coming in 5 weeks so i'll let them know we will be taking it after all.

Guest busybee

Hi fiona,

I would say to pack one of those extension leads from home, if you have a pc, speakers etc in one socket it will save you having to buy 3 adapters here for one thing and they cost $12 each.

Good luck!

Thank all

Hi

Thank all

Hi fiona,

I would say to pack one of those extension leads from home, if you have a pc, speakers etc in one socket it will save you having to buy 3 adapters here for one thing and they cost $12 each.

Aussie plugs from Bunning are about $2.00 each, fit an Aussie plug to anything you use frequently like the hoover, fridge and washing machine, I brought about a dozen Uk 4x Gang plugs with me and changed the UK plug to an Aussie plug then stuck one behind my bed and plugged things like the bed side lamp, clock radio and phone charger in etc, I also have them behind the TV, for the DVD players etc, we use the adapters for odd things that we dont use very often like the blender