Advice needed re wage/cost of living please.

Guest DanNAng

Guest DanNAng

Hello everyone,

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times on here, and I have scrolled through hundreds of threads. My head hurts :wacko:

Anyway, i'm currently living in Essex, working all the hours under the sun, just so my wife, our two children (20 weeks and 4 years), and I, have a decent life.

I've recently been offered a job in Victoria Park area, I've been on a super high for a few weeks since getting the offer, and been waiting for the relocation package/wage offer. Well I took the phone call yesterday with the verbal offer, and its $65,000 a year. In the UK, I'm currently on £44k a year, and we have a good life style.

Since looking online at rental properties, bills etc, im starting to think that its a pretty unrealistic wage. Can anyone shed some light and help us before our Aussie dream is shattered?

I'm willing to travel an hour to my office, been told that Ocean Reef is a nice place to live, but expensive. Does anyone know of any nice areas to bring up my young family and still be comfortable? Will we be able to pay our bills and still have family days/social life?

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers,

Dan.

Guest DanNAng

Good Morning,

Thanks for replying to me so soon.

I too also thought that this was a low wage, and when I was offered the package, I felt a little disappointed, but thought I should look into it some more and be a bit optimistic, but at the moment, (without trying not to sound like a snob) it seems I would be lowering my standards and travelling over to the other side of the world to have a less decent lifestyle than we do in the UK and probably struggling!

The firm that have offered me a job have offered me sponsorship, and its costing them approx $70000 to get me and my family over to Oz. I'm starting to think that this is why the wage offer is so low? Yes there is plenty of opportunity to do overtime etc. I'm not shy to working overtime etc, but I don't want to do double shifts everyday, just so we can have a decent lifestyle.

I think I can safely say that this dream ship has set sail..

:sad:

dont give up keep trying as stated the wage is fairly low id go with mr stormy's advice you will need 100,000k do you really want to work lots of overtime to support your family. keep your spirits up and keep trying

hark at me im not even in Peth yet lolol

mary

A 457 sponsorship doesnt cost the company $70,000. The actual visas only cost a few hundred dollars and with lawyers fees would only cost about $3,000.

Unless they are flying you first class and paying your rent for 6 months and buying you a car in the package I cannot see where they get $70,000 from.

We have our SBS and can sponsor people and it isnt anywhere near that. Normal sponsor package is visa, car for 2 weeks, home rental for 4 weeks and shipping.

This would come to about $15,000