IT Jobs IMPOSSIBLE to find

Hi Guys

We have been here 4 weeks now and my OH is finding it impossible to get a job in IT. He is being told that he is either over experienced or doesnt have enough experience. He has registered with loads of recruitment agencies and some have been good. Has anyone else had issues finding IT work? He isnt looking for a crazy salary because I am going to be working full time aswell. He has tried all the big players in the IT market and still can t get anything. Any advice?? Cheers P.S he has australian experience but not Perth experience

Guest kez2701

Hi

I'm an IT recruiter and will be moving to Perth at the end of the month, but I won't have a feel for the IT market until I settle in. What IT roles would you be looking for? Has your OH been on linkedin at all?

He has tried everything guys - his background is systems admin but he was a data centre manager for 6 years before we moved here. He has tried LOADS of agencies, done linkedin you name it. I work in recruitment (well I did!!) and even with my background of trying to help him its been hard. Any ideas???

We came here and faced the same thing. A few points. First thing is has he got any Perth experience? If not then people want to see that on the CV in many cases. I know chicken and the egg. Four weeks. That is not a long time in Perth terms for this sector given his background. Think of the hundreds, if not thousands, of people from all over the world and Australia who are flooding to Perth seeking jobs in the IT sector. System admin is not a role that employer will find hard to fill. Datacentre managers. How many datacentres are there in Perth? Not many and so entering at that level will be hard. So what did we do? 1. We networked first and built up a group of face to face contacts. 2. We did IT jobs that paid less than we wanted but it meant being able to quote Perth experience. 3. We built on the small pieces of work and moved towards what we had initially wanted to do which was project based activities. 4. We avoided recruitment agencies but in your case, given the type of role, that may not be wise. Better to take a low paid first couple of contracts and build on them. 5. We had beeen aware of the issues asurrounding IT jobs in perth and had factored that into our first years cash flow. 6. We aimed to work for ourselves. Having a clear goal helped.

Perth is a tough place to operate in when first arriving with no job. The streets are not paved with gold, the competition is tough if you are looking for a common role, you need Perth contacts, a network of good folk and Perth experience. You need to consider playing a long game if you can rather than worrying about the first few jobs.

This all being said he will find a job and things will improve. If I started in IT again, like we did back in 2003, I would do the same thing again and build a network of contacts and get what I wanted rather than what you could end up in.

Good luck.

Thanks Straighttothepoint that is really useful information. When you say you networked and built up face to face contacts can you tell me how you did go about this. My OH has Australian experience but not Perth experience . We do know that he needs to take a step back to move forward and we have factored that in. He will definitely do lower paid contracts . Cheers Suzanne

Guest Saints

My OH also struggled to find jobs in the IT/Telecommunications sector in Brisbane. After four months of trying to find a job in Brisbane yesterday he flew to Perth to start a new job today. However I will have to stay here for now with our three children until the lease expires on our rental as we have only been in it one month. He got his job through Titan recruitment which was one of the first agencies he contacted before moving to Australia. Best of luck. Don't give up hope.

surhythms, get your OH to try Trilogy - they're based in West Perth (sorry you'll have to Google them as I don't have their details to hand). They contract a wide range of IT support services to a lot of the state government departments, so I'm sure your OH's experience will be very desirable to them!

Thanks Straighttothepoint that is really useful information. When you say you networked and built up face to face contacts can you tell me how you did go about this. My OH has Australian experience but not Perth experience . We do know that he needs to take a step back to move forward and we have factored that in. He will definitely do lower paid contracts . Cheers Suzanne

Networking is a man's dream task. You go for a beer, you play golf, you go to as many business events as you can but most of all you chat honestly to anyone who will listen. As soon as you meet somebody get their contact details and keep in touch as much as possible. If you shake the tree hard enough something will fall out. You meet people. Now I have been in the IT industry for over 30 years and technical people may find this tough but it's WA give it a go!!

Guest Saints

Hi Surhythms OH is more in technical support in IT/Telecommunications. Trouble was he did a bit of everything in his last job in UK. We could probably break the lease however I want to make sure husband likes job in Perth before we all move over there as I have family in Brisbane. Also my 10 year old son has signed up to a football team and we have paid for the season. Another reason is I hear it is very difficult to find a rental in Perth and I thought if we have a good reference from here it might help us securing a lease there.

Hi Saints

Well we were originally in Canberra and my husband found it difficult to get work there aswell because of citizenship and security clearances needed for all of the jobs in Canberra so there was no real career progression. His background is in data centres and systems admin/ desktop work so he is being told that he is either over qualified for role or he does not have enough technical experience to do an IT mgt or service delivery role. How did your husband secure an IT job in Perth? I hopeyou don’t mind me asking but is the salarylower than what you expected?

It is a good idea to see if he likes the job first. We secured a lease here without having jobs but we have evidence that we can pay the rent. The rental market is pretty tight here but in saying that we got somewhere the first day that we were here – I think it was more luck than anything else. We moved our 14 yr old with us and she didn’t want to leave Canberra. Now that she is here she LOVES it and wouldn’t go back to Canberra. Good luck with your decision – its really hard and very stressful when you don’t have jobs.

Suzanne

Guest Saints

Hi Suzanne. He is now working in telecommunications on the implementation side. And he got the job through Titan but it took ages. He signed with them before we moved out here about a year ago. Finally they came through. My husband did keep contacting them to let them know he was still looking. The salary is about what he expected. I have a daughter age 13 and a half so perhaps we can meet up when we move there probably end September/beginning October. Where abouts do you live? We might now look NOR because the company my OH works for might be moving there from Perth. Did you get your rental from Canberra? How long were you in Canberra. I got a quote today for our belongings to be transported to Perth and it cost more than they did coming from UK.

Hi Suzanne. He is now working in telecommunications on the implementation side. And he got the job through Titan but it took ages. He signed with them before we moved out here about a year ago. Finally they came through. My husband did keep contacting them to let them know he was still looking. The salary is about what he expected. I have a daughter age 13 and a half so perhaps we can meet up when we move there probably end September/beginning October. Where abouts do you live? We might now look NOR because the company my OH works for might be moving there from Perth. Did you get your rental from Canberra? How long were you in Canberra. I got a quote today for our belongings to be transported to Perth and it cost more than they did coming from UK.

OMG a year? I hope my hubby gets something before then !! Yeah definitely meet up my daughter is 14 and she loves it here. We are living NOR in Carine. It’s a very nice suburb and is 15 km from the city. We had to wait until we got here before we secured a rental and I would say wait until you are here because what is on the net is sometimes not what it is in reality!! We were in Canberra for a year – didn’t like it at all!! Yes we got quotes aswell. We used Kent Removals as they were the cheapest but our stuff got a bit bashed on the way over. We moved 2 cars and a 20ft container for $7500. Its crazy!! What does your husband think of Perth ?

Guest Saints

Hi when I say a year to be honest Titan wasn't that interested in him until we arrived in Australia which was 17th January so really it was only 3 and a half months. We actually visited Perth two years ago for a few days on our way to Brisbane to visit family. We have some friends who live in Beeliar?. We really liked the look of Perth near to the beach etc. At the moment it takes about an hour to get to the Gold Coast. Does your daughter go to the school in Carine. I have heard that it is a good school and so is Duncraig so we are looking around those areas. My daughter, is in Year 9 here although she was in Year 8 in UK. Her birthday is 7th October. So maybe they are in the same school year. Are you working if so that will take the pressure off. We have had four months without any money coming in. It has been very difficult and now we have to find money to move to Perth.

Hi when I say a year to be honest Titan wasn't that interested in him until we arrived in Australia which was 17th January so really it was only 3 and a half months. We actually visited Perth two years ago for a few days on our way to Brisbane to visit family. We have some friends who live in Beeliar?. We really liked the look of Perth near to the beach etc. At the moment it takes about an hour to get to the Gold Coast. Does your daughter go to the school in Carine. I have heard that it is a good school and so is Duncraig so we are looking around those areas. My daughter, is in Year 9 here although she was in Year 8 in UK. Her birthday is 7th October. So maybe they are in the same school year. Are you working if so that will take the pressure off. We have had four months without any money coming in. It has been very difficult and now we have to find money to move to Perth.

YIKES!!! 3/4 months is still a very long time to not be getting money in the door especially with 3 children – I would be beside myself!!! Phew at least he has go t a job now. Ah Beeliar that is SOR and a bit of a distance away – to be honest we decided to send our daughter to a public school – they are just as good here. She goes to Carine SH and loves it – Duncraig SH is meant to be very good aswell and Churchlands, too but you do need to be in catchment area for the school. If she is in Year 9 then she will be in the same year as my daughter. I start work on Monday and it’s a trial for a month – It’s a 4 day week because I will be working in the city. If it doesn’t work out I will find something closer to home!! I have to say I really love Perth. I have been around Australia and it is my favourite out of all of places we could live. How old are your other 2 children? Are they settling in OK in Brisbane?

Guest ozindublin

Good morning surhythms, I wonder, would you mind keeping us updated with your husbands job hunt? I'd love to know how long it takes him to get work, and with whom, and which agencies are good communicators etc. I've just put a list together of all recruitors in Perth, and will be sending out my OH resume to them all closer to the time (October), and then pester them every week I guess! I plan on putting together another list of possible companies to apply directly with aswell... I'd be comfortable with waiting a couple of months for work, but would defo start stressing after that... mouths to feed and all that! thanks for the post!

Hey Ozindublin - yeah thats no problem I will keep you posted. As a matter of interest what type of IT work are you looking for. I can certainly tell you of some of the agencies that he has used have been brutal but it seems that a couple more jobs have come up this week. I will give you an update on what the market is like here in Perth when I find out more......

Guest ozindublin

Sweet! my oh is working with Network systems and is trained with Citrix... he's got about approx 15 years experience. thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you soon!