Guest Legal Angel

Car Boot Sales/Markets/Swap Meets - NOR

Guest Legal Angel

[h=2] Hi all

I am heading back to Ireland on 28 July and have sent boxes back but will be left with small household 'stuff' to off load just before we leave on 28 July.

I will advertise the big items on here and gumtree, etc, but thought the markets might be a good spot to get rid of small electrical items, clothes, pots and pans, duvets, etc. I'm not going to make a fortune, but every little bit helps. I'll give whats left to charity.

Has anyone done this recently? How successful was it? Whereabouts are they NOR and do you know days / times etc. Theres only myself and my daughter and I know they start at the crack of dawn, so don't want to wander all over the city but your feedback will be good.

Any helpful hints will be gratefully received.

Andrea [/h]

there is a massive one at Karrinyup every Sunday - http://www.karrinyupcentre.com.au/Community/Community-initiatives.aspx Attracts lots of people - both sellers and buyers. You do have to get there early for selling - by 5.00am if not before as it is first come first served. Wanneroo has one too in the showgrounds but don;t know if it Saturday or Sunday.

Guest Legal Angel

hil Gill

I will have to do a list and will post it on here in the next couple of weeks. Just normal household stuff really, plus my car. You can pm me if you wanted something in particular. I bought all my stuff last September when we arrived so its not even 12 mths old - we are heading to Wanneroo market tomorrow to see how its all done, but not to sell yet but if I get an offer for something it can go. Was there something you wanted?

Guest annie

Hi , just wondering why re going back or was your plan to just stay for 1 year? We are a family of 6 planning on moving in oct/nov and will commit to one year and hopefully we will know by then if its the right thing to stay or go. Interested in why you are coming back!!thanks, annie

Maybe if you had any portable heaters, poss double bed, any garden furniture, poss sofa's or fridge freezer, something along those lines. hope it gives you some idea. gill

Guest Legal Angel
Hi , just wondering why re going back or was your plan to just stay for 1 year? We are a family of 6 planning on moving in oct/nov and will commit to one year and hopefully we will know by then if its the right thing to stay or go. Interested in why you are coming back!!thanks, annie

Hi Annie

No I didn't plan on coming for just a year, its just the way its worked out. I have an australian passport, having lived here on and off for 20 years, but moved back to Tipperary in 1996, untill September 2011 so in reality, Tipperary is home, and also, I'm a single parent with my husband being in Waterford.

So between having to work full time, having my daughter in childcare from 7.30am till 5.3pm and hating my landlord (!) and the whole renting scene which is madly overpriced because there is more people than houses, I've come to the realisation that this isn't for me anymore.

In Tipperary I have a house, which I think the county council might buy p.g., only had to work part-time and have my daughters father for child care when required - all positives. Here, though I have family, I have nothing. I never see my daughter, which is the main reason for going home, I have found it incredibly hard to make friends, though I am generally speaking, a friendly talkative person, but that may be because I am on my own and can't take part in coupledom, ie. don't have a partner to go out and about with. And though I'm a well paid legal secreary, I have no money over and above my normal outgoings - I have been trying to buy my return tickets but at $3,000 one way for two tickets, it will have to wait for another pay day.

From your post I think you have a partner/husband and that will make life much easier for you and if he's working in the mines, you'll be sitting pretty. In fact, if my husband and I were still together and I could send him off to the mines and only work school hours, I could have done it for a few years to get the cash behind us, AND THEN run back to Tipperary. Ha ha Also I only have one child, you have four, which will be company for each other.

Personally, its not for me, and I lived here for years so wasn't coming here blind, but I would say to anyone, take a chance and give it a go. Maybe I had preconceived ideas based on when I did live here. I must say, I find it incredibly expensive. Now people on this forum will tell you its all relative - high wages, high prices - swings and roundabouts but for someone coming from Aldi, Lidl and the competition that that creates, you will die with the prices.

There's lots to like here, though the heat can get monotonous and draining, but my life is not better here, not financially or any other way and though I know Ireland's economy is dreadful, I do have plans so its not all bad.

I can't wait to see the Comeraghs (my house is on the side of them) overlooking the Suir, people saluting me on the street and my daughter and I are mad set dancers so a bit of a ceili and we'll be made.

Where abouts are you based?

Guest Legal Angel
Maybe if you had any portable heaters, poss double bed, any garden furniture, poss sofa's or fridge freezer, something along those lines. hope it gives you some idea. gill

Hi Gill,

I will do the list, with photos if I can work out how, this week. I have sofas, 2 seater and 2 1/2 seater, white leather look. Sounds weird when I'm typing it but they look better than they sound! and possibly pidgeon pair fridge and freezer. I think my nephew is taking the outdoor setting/tvs's cos I'm giving them to him as opposed to selling them and my SIL is taking the heater. I have 6 chair dining table and chairs, washing machine, microwave, hoover, 2 sets of chest of drawers/bed side tables, childs bike, 10ft swimming pool and all the bits and pieces that go with it, and brilliant printer/scanner/photocopier and my 2009 Hyundai Tucson

Guest Legal Angel

Just an update on the markets NOR.

I went to Wanneroo Showgrounds today - $2 entry fee and it was very busy which is good. But, some of the items were very shabby chic - trash and treasure comes to mind but I certainly don't want to offend anyone with my opinion - some of the things I want to sell, including a toaster, will probably be at the upper end of the price tags.

Anyway, I am off to Karrinyup next Sunday morning as suggested by YokoFiona - I believe its a big market so I'll have a look there.

Wanneroo is on every second Sunday, I think Karrinyup is on every week but Wanneroo is closer to me, which at 5.30am when they sellers all line up, closer might be better!