Worried Plumber/Gas Engineer !!!

Guest Cozzy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shacks86

I phoned more than 50 plumbers for a job after I gained my trades persons license with no luck at all. All of them asked for WA experience which I don't have yet my 10 years UK experience counts for nothing. I'm actually working as a pipe fitter on a mine in WA now. The money is great but the rosta is pretty tough, working 4 weeks on and 1 week off. Leaving my girlfriend back in Perth for a month at a time wasn't part of the plan but I was getting desperate and the cash was to good to turn down.

Guest Andig

That's the trouble, they look after there own. But I would be the same I would only employ someone who I know or who is recommended as you don't want to employ a monkey!!!

From my experience in London the big national companies who chase big contracts are the ones who employ all the south African and Australians. When you work along side them they haven't got a clue, but people in this county all want the cheapest thing going or are afraid of being sued

as said before the uk would never be able to say only 5years experience in Uk, sorry no

so I think over the next year whilst I tie up all the bits in the uk I will need to be active on jobs in Oz.

But even with all the comments regarding work in WA I still want this for me and my family, so figures crossed and legs and whatever else I can cross, maybe a couple of lengths of tube lol!!!!!!

hey mark, yer that would be good to have a drink and have a chat about the WA plumbing world, just doing my trades person licence now but thinking of going back on the mines as just got offerd another job on the old mine site i was working at this whole plumbing thing if doing my head in and should of just stayed with the broome plumbing comany i was with but owell sh*t happens, let me know if your keen for a drink mark, lukeplumber

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi all

Just reading through this thread i appreciate its from years ago, but is anyone still following it for some advice. 

Me and the wife are looking at making the move over. But after reading this I'm now thinking i need to get a completely new job lol.

After getting out the Army done a few different jobs before getting into plumbing. (I'm 39 now) 

Done bathroom fitting for around a year. 

Then worked for Scottish power installing smart meters for around 4 years. 

For the last year I've been working for a plumbing and heating company. Doing service, breakdown and maintenance contracts. As well as installs. 

I've Got my NVQ 2 in plumbing and heating and all my gas qualifications for domestic as well as my LPG for boats and caravans. 

I haven't done an apprenticeship though. Payed for all courses privately and got assessed on jobs for my NVQ. 

I love the job and would like to carry on in the same field over there. My question is has things changed or am i better looking for something completely different. 

(My wife is the main applicant so I'll be on her Visa) 

Just want to be realistic on my job prospects......or if there are courses to help me work as a plumber. 

Thanks 

Sean. 

8 hours ago, Sean p said:

Hi all

Just reading through this thread i appreciate its from years ago, but is anyone still following it for some advice. 

Me and the wife are looking at making the move over. But after reading this I'm now thinking i need to get a completely new job lol.

After getting out the Army done a few different jobs before getting into plumbing. (I'm 39 now) 

Done bathroom fitting for around a year. 

Then worked for Scottish power installing smart meters for around 4 years. 

For the last year I've been working for a plumbing and heating company. Doing service, breakdown and maintenance contracts. As well as installs. 

I've Got my NVQ 2 in plumbing and heating and all my gas qualifications for domestic as well as my LPG for boats and caravans. 

I haven't done an apprenticeship though. Payed for all courses privately and got assessed on jobs for my NVQ. 

I love the job and would like to carry on in the same field over there. My question is has things changed or am i better looking for something completely different. 

(My wife is the main applicant so I'll be on her Visa) 

Just want to be realistic on my job prospects......or if there are courses to help me work as a plumber. 

Thanks 

Sean. 

You will need to gain a license. In order to do this you will need to work as a trade assistant for some time such (a bit like an apprentice) and undertake some college courses. 

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. So its not impossible for me to get work then lol. 

I dont mind taking a step back, doing courses etc. How long are you talking months/years. 

And do you think my age will be an obstacle. All going well I'll be 41 when we get there. 

Thanks 

Sean. 

7 hours ago, Sean p said:

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. So its not impossible for me to get work then lol. 

I dont mind taking a step back, doing courses etc. How long are you talking months/years. 

And do you think my age will be an obstacle. All going well I'll be 41 when we get there. 

Thanks 

Sean. 

No, certain not not impossible to get work. While there is certainly a fair share of ageism in Australia, plumbers are in demand. I would plan on it taking a year to get your license.  Earnings are also not paid like an apprentice, you should get a reasonable wage, but not that of someone with a license.