Guest numptyhead

Pregnant on 457, not entitled to Medicare.

Guest numptyhead

I'm just wondering what it's going to cost me! Our private cover has a 12 month waiting period on maternity so we're not covered yet and won't be by the time the baby arrives. We're also not entitled to Medicare because we're Irish. So has anyone any experience of this? Can I just go through the public system and not pay or will it cost me a fortune to have this baby here? :err::err:

Go back to Medicare you are entitled to pregnancy care under the recipriacal agreement with Ireland. You will have to pay for a GP and any scans but anything in the hospital should be covered.

Guest Confused Brit
Go back to Medicare you are entitled to pregnancy care under the recipriacal agreement with Ireland. You will have to pay for a GP and any scans but anything in the hospital should be covered.

I'm on pr visa and medicare doesn't cover the costs scans are $175 a time you get back some after paying from medicare approx $75 of this if you need more than the average number of scans the rest is at your expense. Doctors and midwives $60 a time again you get back some of this so far i have paid for one and got back some the costs for the other. I have one child already born in UK and my health costs were none. Freebies and information a plenty and care was there if you needed it and advice for free.

So this is a shock, with cost of living going so high and living in the worst part of Australia because all the jobs (came on a skills shortage list) were clearly not here for my husband, where we wanted to live. Now stuck in Traralgon, Victoria. I regret coming to Australia. I have had the worst two years of my life. I feel tricked in thinking this was going to be a great move. My husband dad died and my dad has had two heart operations. My husband is no longer happy and every day says he wish he had never come. I'm so worried about everything, and now I have to ask him to pay out even more, regret getting pregnant. I'm suffering but dare not see the doctor for the costs and that just is not right but it seems Australia doesn't care for pregnant women. I pay for private medical insurance i have had it over two years but I'm not covered for pregnancy!

If I felt ill or was worried in uk I could just go to the doctor and not have to worry about the cost, now I'm in two minds. I have no idea how this all works. In the UK I had one midwife and she looked after all the appointments and care. I was never left in the dark and results were given as soon as she knew. Here I not sure who I speak to next to found out the results? I have been given one a4 document that is confusing and tells me nothing, apart from get the scan and bloods done.

I'm sadly 6 years older and currently only working from home my parents were helping with school holidays so i could work but that has all changed now so earning next to nothing. So despite having pains and extreme fatigue, I am not visiting the again Doctor just putting up with it. Plus I have just got my latest bill in for my blood tests over $100 in the post no bloody results the wait is killing me they just want my money and a donation!

Look hopefully I am just unlucky it seems god wants me to return back to UK.... I have heard when if / you have the baby you get some money (i have no idea if this is the case) so hopefully it will help me pay for all these unforeseen costs.

Feel so alone in all of this, need to talk to family but waiting to hear results.

ConfusedBrit....as a permanent resident you are entitled to free care as a public patient in a public hospital. Yes you have to pay for scans and bloods but if you keep the receipts and bring them to Medicare, you will get some money back. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to Medicare, did you get your Medicare card?

All your ante natal check ups in the hospital clinic should be free of charge, as is the birth and any post natal care you receive. You should also be entitled to money back on any GP visits so keep those receipts too.

It sounds like you have a lot of other stuff going on too though but you should at least figure out your maternity care so you're not stressing about that also. Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Guest Confused Brit

Thanks for your reply.

Because I'm rural Victoria you pay more for health costs generally here than in the cities or suburban areas. So yes medicare covers some of the costs but the cost itself varies depending on were you live, here the aren't covered by medicare ie more out of pocket expenses, unless I travel over an hour to cheaper services? We are looking to move sometime in the future if only we could find a suitable avionics job in Perth for my husband. (Pray) It is cold and too much like England here heating bills are through the roof (windows are singled glass and just let out all the heat!) and with the carbon tax making it even worse. Cheaper if you live in Melbourne away from the power stations that I live next door too Crazy!?. No Sea for one and half hours drive away. I can't afford a car anyway. Son goes to the only school I felt was as good as the school in the UK we left. But this is costing over $600 per month! and will be more when he is older! Feeling very trapped and broke. My dad at least is recovering after his second heart valve replacement. Missing them coming over, but I'm going to have this pregnancy and baby alone (apart from my husband and son). I'll have to do the birth alone this time as no one to look after my son?

There are no forums for rural areas like this hence I'm on here. Hope you don't mind me crashing...

Worse my sister in law is having a baby in the UK 3 weeks after me has told everyone (I haven't I'm still waiting results) she has had hers and when I do Skype it is all about her and her baby. I'm almost to the point I don't want to say anything, that is so not like me, I'm just a shadow of my former self. I guess I needed to write to let a bit of the sadness out! That's the trouble when you are pregnant.

God love you, that doesn't sound like the aussie dream at all. You need to get outta there! Have you considered a home birth at all so you can be with your husband and son? Is that available in your area? Have you made any friends in the area that would take your son? is there a nice Mum of one of the kids in his school that would consider it?

I have a feeling that everything will change for you once your husband gets another job. Is he any closer to that happening?

Guest Confused Brit
God love you, that doesn't sound like the aussie dream at all. You need to get outta there! Have you considered a home birth at all so you can be with your husband and son? Is that available in your area? Have you made any friends in the area that would take your son? is there a nice Mum of one of the kids in his school that would consider it?

I have a feeling that everything will change for you once your husband gets another job. Is he any closer to that happening?

Has been a aussie nightmare 2 years or so of it. Hoping to get citzenship (June next year) and then he can get a job back in defence and more door are then hopefully open to him. Unfortunately as not a citzen he couldn't work in the defence industry even though he had UK clearance for the last 15 years! trouble is husband still wants to return to England, hence looking at Perth as the time difference is better for his sports which he can't live without! and talking to family back in the UK. I really I'm not up to trusting anyone enough to have my son ok if during the day but you just don't know when so would feel uncomfortable to ask and worried to leave him. I'm hoping this new one will choice a time when he is at school and come quick!? well you can hope!? Unfortunately no home births in this area or water birth either but I haven't spoken to anyone directly yet so may have changed but that is what I have heard through talk from other mum's chatting at the school (they are all complaining about it!)

Thanks so much for the contact I really appreciate your thoughts and time :) Where are you in Perth do you like it there? What are the schools like? Are you children that old yet?

Guest lozzchops
Has been a aussie nightmare 2 years or so of it. Hoping to get citzenship (June next year) and then he can get a job back in defence and more door are then hopefully open to him. Unfortunately as not a citzen he couldn't work in the defence industry even though he had UK clearance for the last 15 years! trouble is husband still wants to return to England, hence looking at Perth as the time difference is better for his sports which he can't live without! and talking to family back in the UK. I really I'm not up to trusting anyone enough to have my son ok if during the day but you just don't know when so would feel uncomfortable to ask and worried to leave him. I'm hoping this new one will choice a time when he is at school and come quick!? well you can hope!? Unfortunately no home births in this area or water birth either but I haven't spoken to anyone directly yet so may have changed but that is what I have heard through talk from other mum's chatting at the school (they are all complaining about it!)

Thanks so much for the contact I really appreciate your thoughts and time :) Where are you in Perth do you like it there? What are the schools like? Are you children that old yet?

Log on to facebook,there is a group callied Irish families in Perth,in the last ten days a lady has had the same worries as you and someone has posted an article proving that as an irish citizen unden the irish recipricol arrangement you are entitled to free maternity care,it appears that not all hospitals/medicare offices give the same info,but the document is clear so check it out asap,it will ease some of the worry.Talking of worry i have learnt that it gets you no where,its wasted energy,i appreciate its tough for you but try and find something positive to think about ,do something enjoyable that won't cost money to take your mind off your troubles,take a nice picnic and take your son to feed the ducks,it wont take away the money worries but it might give you some light relief.Have you checked at school or with the local church,i know that our school has a confidential support group for people in your situation and volunteers are there to help.If you could contact someone you may find some kind person that will help you with your son,it will be a tough ordeal to go through labour on your own and i can assure you one day/night with a kind person or even teenager wont do him any harm.

It's important to take care of yourself at this time,don't be proud or frightened ask for help!

Guest lozzchops

Ok i found the facebook thread.Check out irish echo.com.au,or google.the article covers irish citizens on 457 for medicare pregnancy agreement.there are over 30 facebook comments of women being told different conflicting bits of info,also you can ring the irish embassy in Canberra for clarification,it seems all care including post natel is covered..but all hospitals report conflicting info!.Good luck!

I had a baby here and didn't pay a penny. Had lots of scan (weekly) and Bloods (weekly) and nothing cost me. No private healthcare just medicare and yes you get $5000 once the baby is born.

Good luck all

I'm in Bunbury which is 2 hrs south. I've a 22 month old girl and one on the way next April. We are here 6 months from Ireland. We are enjoying it but it's a big adjustment! Sorry gotta run.

I had a baby here and didn't pay a penny. Had lots of scan (weekly) and Bloods (weekly) and nothing cost me. No private healthcare just medicare and yes you get $5000 once the baby is born.

Good luck all

Were you on temp 457 or PR visa Susie? The OP is on a temporary Visa

Thanks Suzie, I'm actually the girl on Irish Families in Perth who is having this issue at the moment and I'm also the OP. I changed my username as no one knew I was pregnant yet and there are people on this site that know me personally!

Hi yes sorry more aimed at confused Brit really! I hope Piccoo you can sort it... Just because your Irish surely shouldn't make a difference.

Unfortunately it does when it comes to Medicare as I can't have a Medicare card. I'm waiting to hear back from my local federal member and the operations manager of my local hospital, ridiculous really when lots of other Irish women have been treated free of charge on 457s.

Guest Confused Brit

Good luck all

thanks for confirming some money to cover my out of pocket costs will be coming after the baby is born all going well. This will help a great deal. I went to the doctors yesterday and had a talk with the reception there. I'm hoping the doctor will let me know what I am to do next and my results, I hate waiting! As I am on a residents visa I get the same Australian citizens not uk citizens and different places have different price policies I guess I am just not in an area of good medical price policies just my luck!

Nice to hear you had a positive experience.

wow what a lovely group which I where Irish and living in Perth! You have a whole community of support that is fabulous even sunny in the picture...

Edited by Confused Brit

Guest Stu

We're on a 457 and my wife is 35 weeks due with our first (very exciting!)

We've found out that on a 457 you are entitled to nothing! No baby bonus, parental paid leave etc. I've taken it up with the governments Human Services Minister but just in the early stages of that and frankly don't hold out too much hope.

I'm trying to get the government to explain why they expect companies to provide the same terms and conditions to those on a 457 as aussie employees, but not do the same in terms of benefits etc. Might work but I doubt anything will change before babies arrive.

Hi Stu....yes, I knew that you have to be a permanent resident to be entitled to the baby bonues, childcare rebate and child benefit. However, I'm talking specifically about maternity care, ie ante natal check ups, the actual birth and then post natal check ups.

Have you been covered for all of that free of charge as a public patient? Did you have any hassle at the start of the pregnancy with regards to being a temp resident on a 457 and wanting free maternity care?

Guest girly

hi,I am a dependent of 457 visa.We are in Australia for last 28 days and recently I discovered my pregnancy .I'm just wondering what it's going to cost me. Our private cover has a 12 month waiting period on pregnancy so we're not covered yet and won't be by the time the baby arrives.As we came here from the UK we do not know where to go first.We are in Geraldton which is about 200 km from Perth.Can anyone give some idea how to do the ANC and where to go.

If you have a British passport, go to a Medicare office and register with them. They will give you a medicare card, which you are entitled to as a British citizen. I'm not because I'm Irish. Once you have your medicare card, you can contact your local maternity hospital or go to a local GP to discuss maternity care options and go from there. Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Guest girly
If you have a British passport, go to a Medicare office and register with them. They will give you a medicare card, which you are entitled to as a British citizen. I'm not because I'm Irish. Once you have your medicare card, you can contact your local maternity hospital or go to a local GP to discuss maternity care options and go from there. Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Hi, We were in UK for 4 years but not British, therefore no reciprocal health for us. How much will the whole thing cost if we will have to pay for everything.

And sorry for the late reply, we do not have internet at home yet.

have to walk 2 km to the library for it.

regards!

So you are Irish? Have an Irish passport? That is a little more tricky! As I have been finding out myself. If you are in Perth, you are entitled to free care as a public patient at the hospital. You just have to be quite insistent and tell them you are entitled to it under the RHCA with Ireland and produce your passport. I am having a nightmare because I'm in Bunbury and they have been very difficult to convince. They would be more used to Irish women on 457s in Perth or any of the cities.

Guest girly
So you are Irish? Have an Irish passport? That is a little more tricky! As I have been finding out myself. If you are in Perth, you are entitled to free care as a public patient at the hospital. You just have to be quite insistent and tell them you are entitled to it under the RHCA with Ireland and produce your passport. I am having a nightmare because I'm in Bunbury and they have been very difficult to convince. They would be more used to Irish women on 457s in Perth or any of the cities.

Hi, I am Indian and have Indian passport and we were in UK. and now in Australia.

I do not think they will give us medicare though we had free NHS in the UK.