Cheapest places to buy furniture and other household items in Perth - any advice?

Guest gtdave

Hi there,

I will be arriving in Perth in a few weeks time and will be looking to rent a 1-bed apartment. As I wont be shipping anything over, I will have to buy everything from scratch, and on a shoe-string budget!

Any advice in relation to shopping for the following household items would be much appreciated:-

Furniture:

I'll only be renting a 1-bed so I only really need bedroom and lounge furniture. Ive already done a bit of research and it looks like Furniture Bazaar, Super A-mart, Fantastic Furniture, Freedom Furniture, and of course IKEA are my best bet. As all of these stores are located in the Osborne Park area, I reckon its just a matter of heading up there for a couple of hours some day and picking out what I need.

I would also consider second-hand furniture. I know theres loads of stuff on Gumtree but does anytone know of any decent second-hand furniture stores around Perth?

Appliances:

Cheapest place to buy a Fridge, Microwave, TV and Hi-Fi? Someone recommended The Good Guys, which are conveniently located on the same strip in Osborne Park. Any other suggestions?

Homewares & Household:

OK, this is the part where I really dont have a clue. Wheres the best place to pick up bedclothes, bathroom towels, cooking utensils, delph, cutlery etc.?

TV, Internet, phone-package:

Again, dont really have a clue about this either. Best all-round package that possibly includes international calls (to Ireland),although will probably use skype most of the time.

So I think thats it - should be enough to get me started at least, but if you spot anything I've missed, feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

Household items such as kitchen equipment bedding towels etc kmart big W target

Electrical appliances shop around lots of sales on good guys harvey norman retrovision - personally used retrovison for my washer fridge found the best deal there for what we needed plus we got free delivery

Phone supplier and internet shop around when you get here everyone has a different opinion on these and useage needs will agree skype is the cheapest to phone home. As for mobile I have recently found out if you are on a contract mobile back home it tends not to be locked so you may get away with just buying a sim card here, for your own mobile if you have one.

Lots of bed shops offering bed mattress bedroom furniture packages

Also every week you get free newspapers with flyers from lots of shops showing weekly deals - I love surfing through these.

good luck when you get here

Mary

The Good Sammy store behind JB HiFi up in Osborne Park has secondhand furniture. Maybe worth a check. Also check Gumtree out.

Good Guys for anything electrical. And don't pay the sticker price, they'll always knock a bit off (haggling seems to be the norm).

You can check up on broadband plans at http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Yep, KMart and Target for homewares on a budget. We got a starter set from KMart that got us going http://shop.kmart.com.au/product/homemaker-80-piece-kitchen-starter-set/100600 It's cheap stuff and I wouldn't expect it to last too long, but if you need to get up and running in a new place, it's an easy purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest themanns

Hi there! We are returning to the uk and we are currently renting a 3x2 in ridgewood..We are only 2 weeks into a 6 month lease.. We also have a small 3 seater and 2 seater brown leather settees.. a queen wooden bed frame and mattress..a washing machine..a dryer.. table and chairs.. and foxtel for the duration.. the rent is only 395 a week it is lovely and has a garage too and close to the freeway..would really get you started and you could easily rent out the other rooms if you wanted..interested?

Hi there! We are returning to the uk and we are currently renting a 3x2 in ridgewood..We are only 2 weeks into a 6 month lease.. We also have a small 3 seater and 2 seater brown leather settees.. a queen wooden bed frame and mattress..a washing machine..a dryer.. table and chairs.. and foxtel for the duration.. the rent is only 395 a week it is lovely and has a garage too and close to the freeway..would really get you started and you could easily rent out the other rooms if you wanted..interested?

Hi there,

thanks for the offer but I've already booked short-term accommodation for the first couple of weeks and I'm hoping to get my own place after that.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Def shop around on the electrical - Good Guys used to be miles cheaper than anyone else, but we have found recently not. We have bought 2 TV's in the last 6 months and Good Guys were nearly double the price we paid in the end. Though they are good for small kitchen electricals - toasters / kettles and things.

Internet will vary according to what you want. We just use an iPad on pay as you go sim for about $30 a month.

Hi there,

we have just arrived and are moving into our new house next week or so, are you selling the bed etc separate or is it attached to the house rental? Cheers