Guest abdel

Coming to Australia on Visitor Visa can I find a job easily & change my visa status?

Guest abdel

Hello,

I am Abdel from Morocco, 27 years old. I am planning to come to Australia on Visitor Visa to look for a job.

Would anyone tell me if it's easy to get a job providing that I have a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering (Industrial path), a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering (IEEA path), and Advanced skills Technician in Electromechanics and in my last pace to get a Building contractor diploma.

I like to get a job when I arrive in my field of studies or any kind of jobs to settle in OZ ( temporarily job or permanent).

Looking for your advices :)

have a good day

Abdel

I'm curious about the opinions on this one, because it just might apply to me too.

And my first question: is it even allowed to work while in Australia on a visitor visa? I have a sneaky suspicion that the answer is: no. Thoughts?

I would be very careful doing this,as you are not allowed to be using this visa as a way to find work. i know people who have done this and got away with it. but if caught looking for work whilst on a visitor visa you may be asked to leave the country ,and will struggle to get any sort of visa for three years .

Not only is working while on a tourist visa illegal, but coming with the intent of looking for work is illegal. You should also be aware that immigration do read this site.

Guest abdel

Thanks for the advice,

sure working on a tourist visa is illegal, but I have applied for some job opportunities and the told me to be in Australia to have a face to face interview! so what kind of visa should I apply for!? I think tourist visa is the alone way because I am not illegible for working holiday visa ( my country don't appear on the member countries list).

just student are allowed to work less than 20 hours per week! so what visa?

many thanks for any reply,

best regards,

Guest firedart

If you have applied for work and they have asked you to do a face to face interview, that company are not aware that you don't have a valid working visa and must be presuming that you do. It is illegal to apply for jobs unless you already have a visa that allows you to work? You HAVE to have a tax file number issued from the Australian tax office to start a job and you can't get a tax file number unless you have a valid working visa.

The Tourist visa is quite clear that it is for non-work purposes http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/

An eVisitor has some different wording http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/evisitor/obligations.htm but I think the intention is quite clear - working while on an eVisitor isn't encouraged. Not so sure about seeking work. Might be best to give the Immigration Department a phone call to get a definite answer.

Have you ever watched Border Security Australia?? You are not allowed to come over on a tourist visa with the intent to find work. If that was the case everyone would do it an no one would leave!

Guest guest10912
    Hello,

I am Abdel from Morocco, 27 years old. I am planning to come to Australia on Visitor Visa to look for a job.

Would anyone tell me if it's easy to get a job providing that I have a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering (Industrial path), a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering (IEEA path), and Advanced skills Technician in Electromechanics and in my last pace to get a Building contractor diploma.

I like to get a job when I arrive in my field of studies or any kind of jobs to settle in OZ ( temporarily job or permanent).

Looking for your advices :)

have a good day

Abdel

I think you would be very foolish to do this. And whilst blatantly unfair, I think as a young man from Morocco you could face more scrutiny and questioning at immigration than a caucasian Brit would and I would equally advice a Brit against this path too.

You are well educated, do you have any work experience? Your time would be better spent looking into skilled migration. I disagree with the comments that it is illegal to look for work whilst on a tourist visa, it is not illegal, but arriving in Australia with the intent such as yours is against the rules and could see you turned away if immigration do not believe you are a genuine tourist.

Not only is working while on a tourist visa illegal, but coming with the intent of looking for work is illegal. You should also be aware that immigration do read this site.

Though tourism has to be your main intent, but looking for job while on visiting visa or attending a pre-arranged interview in not illegal. There are many companies that want to have face-to-face interview. So a tourist visa is the only option. There is nothing illegal about looking for future opportunities and openings while you are visiting as a tourist. Many westerners do that all the time. I think you are having a double standard because he is from a Muslim country.

Though tourism has to be your main intent, but looking for job while on visiting visa or attending a pre-arranged interview in not illegal. There are many companies that want to have face-to-face interview. So a tourist visa is the only option. There is nothing illegal about looking for future opportunities and openings while you are visiting as a tourist. Many westerners do that all the time. I think you are having a double standard because he is from a Muslim country.

This thread is actually a couple of years old and certainly the advice given would be to anyone from any country (if you took the time to search old posts you will find this) - so certainly not double standards.

You can of course look for work, however, should you arrive and be stopped and border security suspect that you will be looking for/starting work - they will be relatively suspicious and you may be denied entry into Australia and be banned from further applications for a number of years. I guess at the end of the day - it may be a chance someone wants to take. The dept of immigration often review our boards - so I wouldn't be advertising the fact (if using a real name) that it was my intention.

Welcome to the forum by the way - I see that this is your first post.

Whilst I agree that there is nothing illegal about looking for a job whilst in Australia on a tourist visa, if you had a pre-arranged job interview, surely you would let the future employer know that you did not have a visa which gave you work rights? Not every employer in Australia can sponsor future employees from overseas, so they would need to know if you had a valid work visa otherwise you would be wasting their time as well as your own. Also, be aware that the officers of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection at the airport are very experienced and if they suspect that you are not a true tourist, can refuse you entry to Australia. I don't understand your comment about double standards about the OP coming from a moslem country. Can you explain?