Guest theresascorchio!

Medicare? Confusion! Aaahhhh!

Guest theresascorchio!

Help! Im confused by medicare, my partner applied for the family, but has applied his own seperately when i know it can all go on one card. Why has he done this? He is the one with the income. Also i have been told that we are not covered as we are on a 457 visa, we have no private cover, what do me and the kids do? I know of the recipricol aggreement with the uk, it says on our cards, what does this mean, i have asked my partner about this, but he seems to clam up on me. Many thanks.. Theresa.

I would suggest you give Medicare a ring and get them to explain it to you. I thought its compulsory for the holders of 457 visas to have private health insurance. Obviously the level of cover you get depends on how much you are willing to fork out.

I thought its compulsory for the holders of 457 visas to have private health insurance
When I've spoken to some 457-ers, some have told me that the recipricol NHS arrangement satisfies their visa requirements.

Hi, when we went into Medicare to sort out our cards an application form needs to be completed with everyone who is going to be on the card. When you go in both parents need to be present otherwise they will only place the parent who is there on the card. It is really simple to correct, you get another form and complete it and you can be placed on the same card and they send out a new one to you listing everyone on it.

The guy told me that as long as you take the visa documents along you can go on a separate card you can have split cards but it means that only you would be able to submit claims.

I am on a SS visa so I am not familiar with 457's

ok

you can join medicare on a 457 my hubby and I have

you must have had to have private medical cover to obtain the 457 visa it is needed for the application

what some people do is after the visa is granted they cancel the private health cover ........... on their heads be it

you must have private medical cover it is part of the 457 visa condition -- we are with bupa as it offers the long term visitors covered needed to suffice visa condition

reprociprial cover does not satisfy 457 visa condition as you are not a permanent resident in Australia you are a long term visitor with rights to work as being sponsored by an employer. If you have private cover you can claim cost of prescriptions

medicare give a percentage of your money back for visits to gp

Guest farang

I am sure I saw on here to join a hospital private health scheme one have a home address? cheaper?

ok

you can join medicare on a 457 my hubby and I have

you must have had to have private medical cover to obtain the 457 visa it is needed for the application

what some people do is after the visa is granted they cancel the private health cover ........... on their heads be it

you must have private medical cover it is part of the 457 visa condition -- we are with bupa as it offers the long term visitors covered needed to suffice visa condition

reprociprial cover does not satisfy 457 visa condition as you are not a permanent resident in Australia you are a long term visitor with rights to work as being sponsored by an employer. If you have private cover you can claim cost of prescriptions

medicare give a percentage of your money back for visits to gp

A quote from DIAC regarding reciprical health care, if you want to waste your money with BUPA then so be it...................

[h=2]http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

I am from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Do I also need insurance?[/h]If you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you may be eligible to access Medicare. For further information you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

Guest theresascorchio!

Thanks to everyone who replied, your advise has been noted,

apparently we had private insurance for our initial 2months in oz.

To confirm i was with my partner when applying for the reciprecol medicare card, at fremantle office, he insisted (dont know why) on having his own seperate card. Maybe he thought that he would be responsible to pay for our extra costs, if he was on our card, which is ridiculous coz he does have to pay, as i have no income, he is the only earner.. Dont think he thought this through properly! Lol.

Thanks again very much appreciated.. Theresa.

Guest Glasgow2012

You do not need private medical insurance on a 457 if you are from the uk as the reciprocal heathcare agreement affords you the same Medicare entitlements as permanent residents and citizens. At the time of lodging your application you do need to provide proof of cover however a simple travel insurance policy is all that's required to satisfy this condition.

The basic cover offered to those on a 457 from bupa and the like gives you no more benifits than Medicare except that you will likely reduce any waiting times or can choose what doctor or hospital you would like to go to. Having been through the Medicare public system for an operation here I was very impressed and couldn't really fault it.

Guest theresascorchio!

Thanks glasgow2012 and farang,

all is crystal clear now, much appreciated, amazing wot a bit investigative reading can do for you.. A huge worry has been lifted from my shoulders..

"pure dead brilliant"

Just be aware that if you do not have private health insurance when you submit your tax return to the ATO you will pay a penalty to them for not having it. In saying that, the penalty you pay can often be less than the premium outlay for a financial year depending on the level of cover or the total household income. Just some extra food for thought.

what % penalty do you pay if you dont have private health care insurance? Is it calculated based on your base salary or total household income?

it is based on your full packaged salary (including superann), if your income is over 88,000, or a couple over 176,000, you will be liable for a penalty of of a minimum of 1% of your salary, if your salary is higher the penalty will in crease to 1.25, or 1.5% if you not have private hospital cover