Help please

lostwithout

We have our 136 visa, which allows us to live and work anywhere in Australia - this is due to expire in December 2012. There is just the 2 of us, we have good jobs in the UK (my hubbie is an electrician and already has his A Class licence). Our dilemma is: Should we give up our good jobs in the UK to go to a new country without any jobs and no network of friends? We love the outdoor lifestyle and have a starting off fund of $40 000. Are we mad to consider leaving our jobs and possibly loosing this amount of money?

Any advise welcome please as we are running out of time!

I guess my question is why have you left it so long to move? Are the reasons what have held you in the UK still there and what were your reasons for applying for the visa 5 years ago? You're giving yourselves a very short window now to make your decision before your visa expires.

I guess my question is why have you left it so long to move? Are the reasons what have held you in the UK still there and what were your reasons for applying for the visa 5 years ago? You're giving yourselves a very short window now to make your decision before your visa expires.

Thankyou for our replies, much appreciated. We have left it very late, this was mainly due to a RTA and getting back on the mend. Having said that, this made us realise how important families are to us. I truly believe we both feel Australia has so much to offer to us for a brighter future and to hopefully one day have a family of our own would be a wonderful place to bring them up. Do we just have Cold Feet - it's probably normal but having a good monthly income to then having nothing and 'hoping' we will get jobs when we land in Perth is very scary. Is there still a good demand for Electricians in Perth? We check Seek and there seems to be a good amount available but is this a true reflections does anybody know?

Thanks again

Sorry, haven't got a clue about the job situation, we too are in a similar position, but all I can add is that life's too short for regrets - but seriously you have a good amount saved up and yes, you may go over and if you struggle you could well lose the money, but I'd say wow, what an experience you will have had!! All depends how old you are in my opinion, as you don't have kids its so much easier for you to start again, both in Oz or if you return to the UK, you are lucky that you can go anywhere and will have funds with which to travel if you need to.

But on the other hand, if you are unsure and you have saved this amount, that would be a good deposit on a house, at the moment its a buyers market in the UK, you could upgrade instead, or get onto the housing ladder if you aren't already)!!

Believe me I wish we had done it years ago, now we have 2 kids to think about, it does make it a whole new ball game.