Community worker sponsorship

Guest australiadream

Great to hear there is lots of jobs and you are right re. hope for sponsorship. You have kick started my motivation again.

You are working in Youth Mental Health, great. From my searches it appeared there was more jobs in residential care and disability than youth/community. Am working in Ireland.

Thanks for sharing the learning.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at christmas time i started applying for jobs and the response i got was overwhelming. I think you will have no problem. when do you plan to arrive? new financial year is july so there will be a lot of positions coming up. mental health is neglected in comparison to disabilities but is growing massively and is finally being recognised and money pumped into it.

Great to hear there are jobs as that's the big fear, isn't it?

It totally helps to hear that the life in Oz is worth it as motivation can dip especially when you have a job and family and don't have spare time to give to a confusing process.

Do you really need to earn double in dollar salary to have a good standard of living?

Hi Lou

I posted on this elsewhere (or may have been on Pomsinoz)... my feeling is that it is all relative and you can't compare to Ireland/UK... you need to work out how much it will cost you to "survive" in Australia.. rent, food, fuel, schooling etc etc and then from this you will get an idea of the minimum salary you would require..

I did a draft budget on https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/ and found http://www.aussiemove.com/costofliving/ to be a good help for my calculations.

Chris

*****found my posting on here... http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/western-australia/178240-realistic-cost-living-perth.html#post1936132356 ******

Great to hear there are jobs as that's the big fear, isn't it?

It totally helps to hear that the life in Oz is worth it as motivation can dip especially when you have a job and family and don't have spare time to give to a confusing process.

Do you really need to earn double in dollar salary to have a good standard of living?

Edited by cjbchris
added link to original post

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after 13 long weeks waiting, I got my positive skills assessment email today! now I just need to wait for the letter so that I can put my state sponsorship in, its a long road, but I am sure it is worth it!

Just want to jump around a bit and celebrate!!!:jiggy:

Hey Guys - I am also a Youth/Community Worker applying for a state sponsorship in WA. In the early stages at the mo - docs sent to be verified, IELTS on 8 June (anyone who has done this, is it hard?! As soon as you tell me it is a test I forget everything I know!). Am so excited about coming across, OH is a mechanic so on the look out for jobs for him too! Hope you are all well :) Kirsty

Hi, it's great to see a post about community workers. I'm in Perth about four weeks now, I turned the big 50 in January so I've come out on a six month tourist visa to sues out the scene about getting a 457 visa (employer sponsored). There appears to be loads of jobs but very few employers willing to sponsor unless you've already worked for them. My tourist visa does not allow for paid work but I have started volunteering, I'm replying to loads of advertisements but no luck so far. I know it's early days but if anyone has any tips or knows of organisations (not for profit) that do sponsor I'd love to hear about them. I've a b.soc sc youth and community work and also a masters, loads of experience in working with people with disabilities, social housing, citizen information, family support etc, keep up the good work and its great to see everyone encouraging each other,

WA SS submitted today... now to start waiting again! fingers crossed we are lucky and get it through quickly so we can get our 190 application in! how are the rest of you getting on? I am sure there must be more visas granted! Chris how is it going looking for work?

Hey Weston Clan....

I'm just putting in the applications (and it's so much better/easier now I have the 189, and am not looking for sponsorship)...

I've put in for a lot of temp jobs, but it would be a start for me to get to know the lie of the land... Gotta wait now to see if I can get the interviews and secure a job before we arrive there at end August...

Good luck with your SS

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hiya sorry really don't like hijacking threads...but as you all seem to be community/welfare/youth workers can you help me with what documents people were required to gather for skills assessment purposes please?

Cheers :)

**....think Ive found what Im looking for on acwa website, anything I might need to know that it may not tell me would be great though :)

Edited by jodipodi

Hi Jodipodi,

It took me so long to get the pieces together for ACWA under Welfare Worker heading but I had no advice so kept throwing in the towel. In hindsight, it's straight forward enough.

Put together a portfolio of

1. References, job descriptions, work you did while in those jobs; if you have newspaper cuttings of events/conferences or web pages, if you are named in publications that you contributed to etc.

2. Degree/ Diploma cert and transcripts and extracts from courses ( to show topics covered)

3. Write the piece on how you have met the core competencies. This took a while as there is no guide, so I gave a blend what I understood the competency to mean and an example of work that met it.

4. Your birth cert, passport and I think I put IELTS in.

I had quite a bit of work experience unqualified so they seemed to take this into account except when they were assessing me for points. I would advise you to pay to have this done. I think it's $650 in total.

HTH :)

Hi Jodipodi,

It took me so long to get the pieces together for ACWA under Welfare Worker heading but I had no advice so kept throwing in the towel. In hindsight, it's straight forward enough.

Put together a portfolio of

1. References, job descriptions, work you did while in those jobs; if you have newspaper cuttings of events/conferences or web pages, if you are named in publications that you contributed to etc.

2. Degree/ Diploma cert and transcripts and extracts from courses ( to show topics covered)

3. Write the piece on how you have met the core competencies. This took a while as there is no guide, so I gave a blend what I understood the competency to mean and an example of work that met it.

4. Your birth cert, passport and I think I put IELTS in.

I had quite a bit of work experience unqualified so they seemed to take this into account except when they were assessing me for points. I would advise you to pay to have this done. I think it's $650 in total.

HTH :)

That's really helpful thank you so much Lulu, we have a while before we are able to apply but I want everything collected beforehand as much as is possible to save stressing out last minute......this advice will help us no end :wubclub:

Hi, you need to decide if you are applying for Welfare worker or Community worker as they are different. Community worker is assessed by Vetasses and welfare worker by acwa (I believe)

I applied under community worker, and the list was pretty similar to the one above, the references are more like job descriptions about how your role fits with the description that of the skill that you are applying under but signed by your employer. I also had to produce evidence that I had worked there,so contracts, tax P60s and payslips for all the work that I wanted assessed. It was important to have the transcripts for your degrees so that they can see how your qualification matches the skill. Then the passport and birth certificate. I also had to provide passport photos I think. There was a lot of paper work to get together, and it took them forever to process it, but I did get there in the end!