Guest steve

17yr old looking for work

Guest steve

Can anyone help my 17yr old son get a job, he would prefer to work indoors because of the heat. He was working at woodvale fish and lily farm but as the job was outside he didnt like it. He really doesnt know what he wants to do, but anything is better than nothing, not the most confident lad but a fast learner, although he cant drive yet he is an expert in bus and trains and of course i would help. living in the wannaroo area. Please call PM me steve

Edited by ali

Sorry Steve had to remove your phone number. Has your son tried at the local supermarkets, target/K mart etc., they'll probaly be taking on staff.

It is a shame about the timing because the Targets, KMarts etc of this world usually recruit their temp and/or casual staff for the Christmas period around September / October. The problem facing this age bracket now is that the population boom means more kids looking for work and therefore the retail sector appears to have too much choice. Also I know this sounds daft but retail pay based on age and so they have the choice of 16 year olds at slightly less pay than a 17 year old. Mad but true. My wife works in a supermarket so I am getting all the inside gossip re recruitment. Also family members get in via their mum's, if they work there, much easier than via the normal recruitment process whch is no shock and the same the world over. It is tough for everyone as the good times appear to be slowing.

As to your question try the fruit and veg market next to Leap Frogs on the intersection of Joondalup Drive and Wanneroo Road they were looking for shelf packers. Also if he is a grafter and not fussy he should rock up to as many cafe's as he can and ask face to face for either a service and/or kitchen position. As you will no doubt know it is all about luck and brass neck albeit at that age, and especially now where hiding behind Facetwit is the norm, face to face is something that is an alien concept.

Good luck