ElectricalTech

!!ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN!! question

Hi all,

I am a fully qualified electrical technician (27) from the UK.

I'm at the stage of having just submitted my EOI for the WA state sponsored skilled working visa, so hopefully within 6 months I should get the thing!

My question is:

To secure employment with a company in WA will I need any additional qualifications relevant to Oz?

If I cannot secure employment beforehand I do not want to go and struggle due to not having 'a' licenses etc...

Any help would be appreciated along with recommendations of companies to contact around Perth or Albany. (experience with plc's, hmi's, scada, industrial automation equipment)

Many Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig

I'm a plumbers, gas fitter and with all licences trades, you have to jump through hoops over here. I feel it's a big money making scheme nut you've just got to run with it. I've been in Perth now for 5 weeks and finally been accepted to enrol in the migrant conversion course which is a two week course telling you about local bylaws. There is a company in London that can give you the same qualification and may give you a head start before you come over but I think it was about £3000'where it's $600 over here.

Beware , nobody rushes anything over here WA = Wait a While.

If I were you, I would email a load of companies before you come out.

I was going to change careers when I came over but found out that plumbers are earning around $250 per hours self employed and around $50 hour employed. If your willing to work, you'll do we'll over here as the Aussies don't want to.

If I can help further, let me know

Regan

Have a look on the electricians thread on poms in oz, you will get a lot of useful info there but basically what you have to do now is apply for your electrical permit to work then enrol with a college that energy safety tell you to and pay $2000. Attend a 2 week course then fill out a logbook for up to a year and you will be sent a lot of homework to do and send back to the college as well. Then when that is complete you then go and sit the same trade test as the aussie apprentices to get your full license. I wouldn't bother emailing companies until you get here as there are plenty of people here already looking for work and companies wont be interested in you until you are here. It can be hard to secure a job as well especially with the fact you do not have a full license. I have been here almost 5 months now and have just secured a new job with better pay and better work for after the year. It is not easy for us at first that's for sure. Oh and forget tradies down under its a scam and you wont be anywhere further forward and be £3000 worse off.

Have a look on the electricians thread on poms in oz, you will get a lot of useful info there but basically what you have to do now is apply for your electrical permit to work then enrol with a college that energy safety tell you to and pay $2000. Attend a 2 week course then fill out a logbook for up to a year and you will be sent a lot of homework to do and send back to the college as well. Then when that is complete you then go and sit the same trade test as the aussie apprentices to get your full license. I wouldn't bother emailing companies until you get here as there are plenty of people here already looking for work and companies wont be interested in you until you are here. It can be hard to secure a job as well especially with the fact you do not have a full license. I have been here almost 5 months now and have just secured a new job with better pay and better work for after the year. It is not easy for us at first that's for sure. Oh and forget tradies down under its a scam and you wont be anywhere further forward and be £3000 worse off.

thats pretty much it in a nutshell, i'm an air con tech and i had jump through hoops to get my quals recognised, i know a few sparkys here and they had to go through loads to get qualified.

Guest gday

Hi There,

This is the closest thread I could find that is relevant to my situation. I qualify with a BEng. Mechatronics L7. in May (all going well) and I am immediatley off to Perth for work with PR visa. What is the work situation for a graduate instrumentation engineer in WA?. I have only around 1 year direct experience. (plenty of manufacturing experience). Will I have to get tested and ticketed like the sparkies?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adrian.

Hi everyone, my husband is a spark. We are getting a visa through myself (nurse) which will allow both hubby and I to work in Western Australia. The plan was to get visa accepted. Then find work for Dave while I settled the kids in. We were aware that Dave would need to apply for licence etc. we were expecting him to have to work as an apprentice while he went to TAFE college? However it's looking a bit bleak.

Should we go for state sponsorship? Or are there difficulties getting employment in wa. Would Dave need to do anything o quicken up the process. Any help would be much appreciated as we need to make a decision regarding state sponsorship before visa is applied soon.

thanks jody and Dave.

We are in the same situation, I am a spark and my wife is a nurse. We have just come back from wa on reccy and there are opportunities out there for sparks if you are willing to knuckle down and seek them out. I spoke with energy safe whilst out in wa and they said that you could complete the license in 2-3 months depending on the scope of works you were working on. But everyone I spoke too out there said you need to be out in wa before they take you seriously. Hope this helps

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jacksonw040
        Hello, Everyone
        Are you planning or interested to visit Perth, here are the best places you should visit that you will really enjoy.
        1. The beaches

Perth has some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia, if not the most beautiful for a city in the world! You can head down to any beach along the west coast, and you will soon forget the busy commute you just left behind. Sunny days, warm temperatures, the blue Indian Ocean and not a speck of litter in sight. Cottesloe, Scarborough and City Beach were all our favourites out of the nineteen beaches Perth and the surrounding areas had to offer. Cottesloe boasts crystal clear and calm waters set on a backdrop of white sand and grassy terraces. It is also home to the annual Sculpture by the Sea, which showcases the talents of artists across the globe. Scarborough Beach was our local beach when we lived Perth, and it is the perfect location to watch the infamous Western Australian sunsets. Scarborough has become more vibrant and lively in the last couple of years; it has a fun atmosphere and an array of mouth-waveringly delicious cafes, restaurants and bars. Though not as busy as its close neighbour over in Scarborough, City Beach has recently opened its doors to a new surf club which comes with a gym and three restaurants/cafes which are sure to have increased visitor numbers. Nevertheless, on some days you won’t have to share this beach with very many people.
        2. Kings Park and Botanic Garden

Kings Park is Western Australia’s biggest tourist attraction and at 400 hectares, is one of the World’s biggest inner city parks. Kings Park is a huge green space within the city with many short walking trails leading through botanical gardens, offering spectacular panoramic views of Perth and the Swan River. It’s a hot spot for people of all ages, family friendly and even a great place for lunch (whether it be a picnic or in the cafe). Fitness enthusiasts frequent the popular Jacobs Ladder challenging themselves to see how many times they can run up and down the 242 steps. It is also home to the very moving State War Memorial and of course the whispering wall that lay around it. Throughout the summer you can catch the latest movie releases and some great classics at the outdoor cinema, it is the perfect setting for movie enthusiasts, nestled in a light blanket on a beanbag with balmy temperatures underneath starry skies.
        3. Fremantle

Fremantle is a lively port city which is a great alternative to Perth city centre to meet up with friends for a social gathering. The town centre is home to a strip of alfresco style bars and restaurants. We recommend starting at the Norfolk Hotel, it has a generous outside seating area and is surrounded by limestone walls, giving the whole place heaps of character alongside its great ales. The suburb is also the host to the famous Fremantle Market open weekly on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Here you will find a huge variety of stalls offering everything from local fresh produce to homemade handbags and hair pieces. Why not make a day of it and check out the Little Creatures Brewery for a hearty pub lunch and some local Perth craft beers then take the historic Fremantle prison tour.
        4. Rottnest Island

Known to the locals as Rotto, Rottnest Island is just 18 KM ferry journey away from the mainland which makes it the ultimate weekend getaway from the city. The only way to get around on the island is by bicycle which you can rent when you get there or take your own aboard the ferry for an additional $15. If cycling isn’t your thing, then don’t worry you can still take a bus around the island to the islands main sites. Whichever you choose just make sure you remember to bring your snorkel as Rottnest boasts crystal clear waters and some great drift snorkelling. All of this, but the main attraction still seems to be the furry little locals. We’re talking about the unique to the island, selfie-loving Quokkas! A natural when faced with a Go Pro or smartphone, these cute marsupials are always keen to take a few snaps with eager tourists.
        5. Swan Valley

The Swan Valley may look like a dry, barren land on the outskirts of the city. There over 40 wineries to choose from, many of which offer complimentary tastings or tastings for a very low cost. Some of the wineries give you a selection of cheese to pair with the many different flavors. We highly recommend Lancaster wines; their fresh chili infused cheese is to die for and just melts in your mouth. Another favourite for samples in the Swan Valley is the Margaret River Co. chocolate factory. You can dish yourself up a handful of milk, white or dark chocolate while look through the huge glass windows at the all the machinery in action making absolutely everything you see for sale in the shop. See if you can eat them quick enough before they melt. We often leave Swan Valley feeling very sick… I wonder why? If wine and chocolate aren’t your things, another highlight of the Swan Valley is Super Golf! Not to be taken seriously in any way, shape or form, this light-hearted take on the popular classic is perfect for friends, family and couples alike to enjoy the sun in beautiful surroundings and get competitive. There is a choice of either 9/18 holes (we recommend 9) and is basically a supersized version of the sport we know; giant plastic golf balls and huge plastic clubs, it’s sure to bring a few laughs throughout the day.
        6. John Forrest National Park

The John Forrest National Park is a little bit further afield than the other places we mentioned in this guide, located East of the city, but it is the best place to get a taste of the wilderness the Australian outback has to offer. It was actually the first national park of Western Australia and is home to 10 species of mammal and 91 species of birds. Despite its location, this national park is surprisingly green with a collection of waterfalls passing through. It is a great place to spot some of the native species in their natural habitat along with the unique fauna and flora. The Eagle View Walk Trail gives you a great view of the distant city, emphasising Perth’s isolation from the rest of Australia.
        7. Lake Monger

Nestled between the suburbs of Glendalough, Wembley, and Leederville, just outside Perth city center is Lake Monger Reserve. This 70-hectare lake surrounded by the park is a popular dog walking and running spot, it is home to the beautiful black swan and is rich in Aboriginal history. The walk around Lake Monger is an easy and paved 3.8km route and should take less than 1 hour. During the walk, you get the opportunity for a great view of Perth’s CBD and the iconic BHP Billiton Towers. The path also has a cycle lane for those wishing to do the route by bike. Other flora and fauna here include fish, skinks, south-western-snake-necked turtles and 38 species of bird.
        For more information go to this website:
        https://www.visitperthcity.com/see-do

• By N.holland86
        Hi my names Nick I am a solid plasterer and Cork Coatings applicator in the uk with a nvq level 2 and 3 and over 12 years experience I am considering getting my AQF 3 I have already started my 189 visa application and I am ready for skills assessment. What is work like for a solid plasterer over in Perth? What can I expect to earn. I am also considering getting my Plasterer’s assessors qualification. I don’t mind starting at the bottom and working my way up the ladder. 
        Any advice people and offer me will be greatly appreciated. 
      • By Podge1366
        Hi everyone 
        I work for a marquee hire company called pedersens hire and we are always on the lookout for new workers with the drive to get on.we are based in canning vale but can be working all over Perth also as far as Kalgoorlie Albany Karratha.
        our busiest periods are from July through to January .
        i believe it's a great start for young lads to work with us.theres no time wasters and you can learn and travel at the same time.casual weekend work is always available.
        ive now been at pedersens for 9 years .im managing the structure side of the company now .
        feel free to get in touch if you want anymore information.just thought I'd say hi I'm new to this forum .im from battle in East Sussex back in the U.K. .
        be good to hear from some of you.
        darren 
        aka podge
        p.s I'm the guy on the far left.IMG_0073.MOV