ElectricalTech

!!ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN!! question

Hi all,

I am a fully qualified electrical technician (27) from the UK.

I'm at the stage of having just submitted my EOI for the WA state sponsored skilled working visa, so hopefully within 6 months I should get the thing!

My question is:

To secure employment with a company in WA will I need any additional qualifications relevant to Oz?

If I cannot secure employment beforehand I do not want to go and struggle due to not having 'a' licenses etc...

Any help would be appreciated along with recommendations of companies to contact around Perth or Albany. (experience with plc's, hmi's, scada, industrial automation equipment)

Many Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig

I'm a plumbers, gas fitter and with all licences trades, you have to jump through hoops over here. I feel it's a big money making scheme nut you've just got to run with it. I've been in Perth now for 5 weeks and finally been accepted to enrol in the migrant conversion course which is a two week course telling you about local bylaws. There is a company in London that can give you the same qualification and may give you a head start before you come over but I think it was about £3000'where it's $600 over here.

Beware , nobody rushes anything over here WA = Wait a While.

If I were you, I would email a load of companies before you come out.

I was going to change careers when I came over but found out that plumbers are earning around $250 per hours self employed and around $50 hour employed. If your willing to work, you'll do we'll over here as the Aussies don't want to.

If I can help further, let me know

Regan

Have a look on the electricians thread on poms in oz, you will get a lot of useful info there but basically what you have to do now is apply for your electrical permit to work then enrol with a college that energy safety tell you to and pay $2000. Attend a 2 week course then fill out a logbook for up to a year and you will be sent a lot of homework to do and send back to the college as well. Then when that is complete you then go and sit the same trade test as the aussie apprentices to get your full license. I wouldn't bother emailing companies until you get here as there are plenty of people here already looking for work and companies wont be interested in you until you are here. It can be hard to secure a job as well especially with the fact you do not have a full license. I have been here almost 5 months now and have just secured a new job with better pay and better work for after the year. It is not easy for us at first that's for sure. Oh and forget tradies down under its a scam and you wont be anywhere further forward and be £3000 worse off.

Have a look on the electricians thread on poms in oz, you will get a lot of useful info there but basically what you have to do now is apply for your electrical permit to work then enrol with a college that energy safety tell you to and pay $2000. Attend a 2 week course then fill out a logbook for up to a year and you will be sent a lot of homework to do and send back to the college as well. Then when that is complete you then go and sit the same trade test as the aussie apprentices to get your full license. I wouldn't bother emailing companies until you get here as there are plenty of people here already looking for work and companies wont be interested in you until you are here. It can be hard to secure a job as well especially with the fact you do not have a full license. I have been here almost 5 months now and have just secured a new job with better pay and better work for after the year. It is not easy for us at first that's for sure. Oh and forget tradies down under its a scam and you wont be anywhere further forward and be £3000 worse off.

thats pretty much it in a nutshell, i'm an air con tech and i had jump through hoops to get my quals recognised, i know a few sparkys here and they had to go through loads to get qualified.

Guest gday

Hi There,

This is the closest thread I could find that is relevant to my situation. I qualify with a BEng. Mechatronics L7. in May (all going well) and I am immediatley off to Perth for work with PR visa. What is the work situation for a graduate instrumentation engineer in WA?. I have only around 1 year direct experience. (plenty of manufacturing experience). Will I have to get tested and ticketed like the sparkies?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adrian.

Hi everyone, my husband is a spark. We are getting a visa through myself (nurse) which will allow both hubby and I to work in Western Australia. The plan was to get visa accepted. Then find work for Dave while I settled the kids in. We were aware that Dave would need to apply for licence etc. we were expecting him to have to work as an apprentice while he went to TAFE college? However it's looking a bit bleak.

Should we go for state sponsorship? Or are there difficulties getting employment in wa. Would Dave need to do anything o quicken up the process. Any help would be much appreciated as we need to make a decision regarding state sponsorship before visa is applied soon.

thanks jody and Dave.

We are in the same situation, I am a spark and my wife is a nurse. We have just come back from wa on reccy and there are opportunities out there for sparks if you are willing to knuckle down and seek them out. I spoke with energy safe whilst out in wa and they said that you could complete the license in 2-3 months depending on the scope of works you were working on. But everyone I spoke too out there said you need to be out in wa before they take you seriously. Hope this helps