Nurses Thread!

Mad Cow

Hi

I'm a UK nurse with just over 3 years general and elderly medicine ward experience. I'm currently waiting for visa's to be granted before I can apply for AHPRA registration. I've had my skills assessed by ANMAC so hopefully the process won't take too long as they will send my previous evidence and documents to AHPRA. As soon as we have our visa's I plan to apply for as many general medicine or elderly rehab jobs as possible in and around Perth as we want to move ASAP. Is anyone else in a similar situation or able to share any information which may be useful?

Thanks

Jo

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone :) I'm just completing my AHPRA paperwork out, I need to get my documented notarised - am I right to think that I can use any justice of the peace or attend my local crown court to get this done?

Thanks! I just dread having forms sent back and forth for weeks!!

Maria.

Hey everyone :) I'm just completing my AHPRA paperwork out, I need to get my documented notarised - am I right to think that I can use any justice of the peace or attend my local crown court to get this done?

Thanks! I just dread having forms sent back and forth for weeks!!

Maria.

Ahpra accept notary public or justice of the peace. Hope this helps. This info was on their web site but unsure of how to post link sorry.

Hi Caz

Happy Australia day :biggrin:

I am so jealous since waking from a night shift to howling wind and rain! How are you settling in so far? Do you have a job already? We're waiting for visa's to be granted so that I can register with AHPRA and start applying for jobs. Did you register with AHPRA from the UK or wait until you were in Oz?

Hi Caz

Happy Australia day :biggrin:

I am so jealous since waking from a night shift to howling wind and rain! How are you settling in so far? Do you have a job already? We're waiting for visa's to be granted so that I can register with AHPRA and start applying for jobs. Did you register with AHPRA from the UK or wait until you were in Oz?

I've done all the AHPRA application over a year ago, and got the decision last May. They required me to do the pre-registration bridging program (still, despite my UK experience). So here I am... :)

Hi, I'm a Uk general medical nurse looking to move to Perth and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me? What's the job situation like for nurses in Perth at the minute? Do I apply for my registration before or after my visa? I've been told by some to do it before as then I can apply for jobs without a visa and possibly get a sponsor and to apply after by others. Am I best to apply for a perm job once there? This slightly worries me going all that way without a job especially with a family. Hope someone can help and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cxx

AHPRA informed me I can apply before having a visa but they will not activate it until my visa is granted. Not sure if it depends on the type of visa you apply for. Mine is the state nominated permanent skilled – Nominated (subclass 190). South Perth Hospital confirmed they could not consider me for posts without a visa so it's a waiting game atm. I feel uncomfortable too at the idea of moving to the other side of the world without a job, scary! Planning to wait until I have a job before booking flights, unless this drags on too long. Good luck with everything!

Can anyone shed any light on annual leave entitlements in public hospitals? I've been told new employees have to work a year before being able to take leave. Is this correct? This seams a very long time to wait. Also, are shift patterns generally 7.5 or 12 hours or does this vary from ward to ward?

You accrue leave over the year, you wage slip tells you how much leave you have each pay. I get 4 weeks a year working in community as not regarded as a shift worker, ward staff get 5 weeks were I work. You get public holidays. I work 80 hours per fortnight and get an Accrued day off (ADO) each month.

Hi, I'm a Uk general medical nurse looking to move to Perth and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me? What's the job situation like for nurses in Perth at the minute? Do I apply for my registration before or after my visa? I've been told by some to do it before as then I can apply for jobs without a visa and possibly get a sponsor and to apply after by others. Am I best to apply for a perm job once there? This slightly worries me going all that way without a job especially with a family. Hope someone can help and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cxx

You can apply for jobs without a visa, however, some places will give preference to Australian Permanent Residents, also if they are looking for someone to start right away or within a couple of months and you haven't got a visa, they may withdraw the offer if you cannot meet the start deadline.

You accrue leave over the year, you wage slip tells you how much leave you have each pay. I get 4 weeks a year working in community as not regarded as a shift worker, ward staff get 5 weeks were I work. You get public holidays. I work 80 hours per fortnight and get an Accrued day off (ADO) each month.

Thanks Ali. This sounds far more reasonable. I doubted this was correct as a whole year without leave is ridiculous but I've read about this a few times so needed to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ITU Nurse
Hi all. I was hoping someone could help me. I am an experienced emergency department nurse looking to move to WA. Does anyone know what the job situation is like at present as I keep being told conflicting information. Thank you

Hi!

It's a brilliant time to be moving to WA. A new hospital is being built in Murdoch and from what I gather there is nowhere near enough staff for it so opportunities are there. In particular they are looking for nurses with at least two years experience in ED, ITU, HDU, CCU and preferably with a postgraduate qualification in the speciality (e.g. The A&E or ITU course as it's known in the UK). WA has lots of newly qualifieds and doesn't need them, but are desperate for nurses with experience. If you send your CV to nurses@wago.co.uk they can help. They are the UK office of WA Health. You must at least have your AHPRA registration application underway (ie being processed) before you send your CV.

Hope this helps!!

x

Hi everyone

I have been searching for health jobs in the private hospitals. Does anyone know what it is like working within the 'St John of God' hospitals? Reading their ethos/values/mission etc, they seem to be really religious. I am just wandering how religious they are as I am in a same sex relationship?

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi all

I am new to the forum and have a quick question please.

I am currently a 3rd year metal health student due to qualify in August this year, I have over 20 years managerial experience in a non health care setting and was wondering if Australian hospitals would be interested in this as there are many transferrable skills. Any help you can offer would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Ali

I am new to the forum and looking to move to Australia with my family once I qualify in August this year, I am currently doing a degree in mental health nursing and was wondering how many years post grad experience employers would be looking for. I am worried that my age (43) will go against me and would rather make the move sooner as my sons are currently 5 and 8 and feel they would settle quicker the younger they are.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Wendy

It probably depends on the job you're going for - if it's ward work then you may not need that much experience, but it will probably depend on their current skill mix - if they have a lot of newly qualified staff for graduates then then experience my be the think that during the interview process makes that candidate look more appealing.

Guest coxkc90

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help. I'm sure these questions have all been answered before but I have many! I qualified as a mental health nurse in 2003 with a diploma and have been working ever since. I have experience in forensic, adult acute, neuropsychiatry and community for the past 6 years. I am due to complete my top up degree this summer. My husband and I are looking to go to Perth on a permanent visa. What is the difference between enrolled nurse and registered nurse? What is the difference with all the pay levels? What is maternity leave like in Perth? How long do u need to be working before you can have mat leave?

What is the working environment like for nurses esp community? What are the caseloads like?

Many thanks in advance

Karen