BMW 3 Series - do we bring it?

taylors4

Hi Guys

Just getting shipping quotes etc, but unsure whether we should bring our 2006 BMW family saloon car. It cost us £17,000 5 years ago and has been a brilliant car, no issues at all. To sell it here we would get about £7,500. Its a diesel, manual with about 65,000 miles on the clock. Got tow bar and roof bars & top box which would be brill to use for camping - which we hope to do a lot of.

What we need to know really is - is it going to cost the earth to service (its bad enough in the UK), over here we go through a set of tyres every 2 years (we know a guy who gets the low profiles continentals for us for £600 a set). Will bring a set with us, but I'm just wondering if it will cost a fortune in WA. We are hoping to go to Mandurah or Bunbury - will we have to go to Perth for servicing etc?

Has anyone got/brought a BMW with them and if so, do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Guest guest1337
Just seen there is a dealership in Wangara 6065 - I'm taking it that's in Perth city ....

Not in the city no, approx 40-50 Kms north of the city!

I would bring your car if you can, it will be worth a lot more in Perth! If you can't afford the servicing etc here then sell it and cash in!!!

Not in the city no, approx 40-50 Kms north of the city!

I would bring your car if you can, it will be worth a lot more in Perth! If you can't afford the servicing etc here then sell it and cash in!!!

Yes, think you are probably right, could always trade it in for something else - thanks for that

• 3 months later...

Hi taylors4,

I brought over my 2007 330d sport, and have just received my invoice from customs and im due to pay $4k duty and gst. Ive queried the valuation with customs and im waiting on a reply at the moment. I know on top of this there will be quarantine fees and cleaning fee, which I estimate will be a bout $500. Basically, be prepared for the costs once the vehicle arrives in WA, and also the shipping costs.

I intend to sell the vehicle once I get it on the road, however im hearing conflicting stories that the vehicle needs to be in WA for 2 years before I can sell it, and ive only today called a Perth based BMW used dealership to get a valuation on the vehicle, to be told they wont touch it as its an import.

I had to settle my finance on the car in the UK prior to leaving which cost me GBP 10k and was advised that the car would be worth circa $40-50k in Perth, and at the moment id be quite happy to take the GBP 10k ($15k) and break even and be shot of it to be honest. Time will tell if thats possible or not.

Do some homework on it is what id say.

Hi taylors4,

I brought over my 2007 330d sport, and have just received my invoice from customs and im due to pay $4k duty and gst. Ive queried the valuation with customs and im waiting on a reply at the moment. I know on top of this there will be quarantine fees and cleaning fee, which I estimate will be a bout $500. Basically, be prepared for the costs once the vehicle arrives in WA, and also the shipping costs.

I intend to sell the vehicle once I get it on the road, however im hearing conflicting stories that the vehicle needs to be in WA for 2 years before I can sell it, and ive only today called a Perth based BMW used dealership to get a valuation on the vehicle, to be told they wont touch it as its an import.

I had to settle my finance on the car in the UK prior to leaving which cost me GBP 10k and was advised that the car would be worth circa $40-50k in Perth, and at the moment id be quite happy to take the GBP 10k ($15k) and break even and be shot of it to be honest. Time will tell if thats possible or not.

Do some homework on it is what id say.

Thanks for this, very useful info, we are due to arrive in Perth next Sat, and just waiting on the import license, so car will follow us. John Mason have quoted is £1700, to ship it in a container (we only have to drive it to Liverpool, being less than an hour away from us suits). What you have told me is sort of what I expected, but I was thinking of keeping it for a bit, but am worried about the servicing costs etc (its bad enough in the UK). I was thinking of trading it in, but obviously the import status will effect the value, or private sale. I did read somewhere that in a BMW some like the fact that they are mostly manual from the UK and can be sought after for that reason. How true, I don't know.

If you don't mind can you let us know how you get on with selling it? I'd be confident you could make a bit more on it than breaking even, even if you don't get the $40-50K. But like you we too would be happy to break even, just don't want to go through the hassle for nothing really, although we are happy to keep ours for a good while as we like it and its a brill car, never let us down.

If we sold ours in the UK we would get very little for it probably £6-£7K, so we are thinking at the moment its worth it, but time will tell! Good luck with it though.

id sell it and buy something here the import tax alone will be high and everything else registering it etc on arrival getting insurance on an import etc not worth the hassel sold both our cars prior to leaving one a bmw coupe

purchased a 4k little run around 10mths in saved up and purchased a new Mitsubishi lancer the driving standards here are terrible get an old car when you first arrive learn the ozzie road rules opps there are none