Vetteassess the practical for electricans

sparky69

Hi,

I've just done mine this month sure it will be very similar or the same.

A two way lighting circuit using clipped direct twin and earth to the light and 20mm conduit from the light to the switches wiring in singles. A radial circuit consisting of one socket. Bonding of a piece of pipe to consumer unit.

Draw motor circuit diagram consisting of contactor start/stop button and overload. Then wire up as to your drawing all wires are plug in banana plugs quite quick to do. A question on star / delta connections.

most important section safe isolation follow procedure given by vetassess. To isolate and remove heater to replace and then energise supply as to procedure really strict on this.

theory test questions include resistors in parallell/ series, power formulas PIV etc. three phase calculations. Transformer ratios. RMS values. 0.737 and 0.637 etc. i think thats it.

hope this is useful.

good luck

Lee

Sparky69,

When is your assessment? I had booked and paid for one for April then a week later Vetasess emailed me and told me it was full and booked me on the March assessment, a date I can not make which they knew I couldn't as I work overseas and had refused that assessment date already. I even offered to go to Cape Town to sit the assessment there and they told me that one was fully booked. My agent is working on securing another date for me as Vetassess have told me lie after lie about why they cancelled my assessment.

Anyway, I have a lot of information on PDF, books, HNC course work, etc, about most of the calculations required. We can wok together on it if you like?

Osmond8,

Is the DOL starter single or three phase? It's all easy enough really but would just like to know exactly what they want you to do. And what kind of questions do they ask you for the star-delta motor? Can you also give a bit more info on 3 phase calculations? I assume it's Sqrt3 stuff like that.

The RMS value is 0.707 and the average value is 0.637. This is used for calculating the 'form factor'. The 'form factor' of an alternating waveform is an expression of the ratio of r.m.s. value to the average value: 0.707 / 0.637 = 1.11.

The form factor can be used for converting r.m.s. values to average values and vice versa, e.g. for a sine wave:

Average value = r.m.s value / 1.11

r.m.s value = average value x 1.11

Is that the kind of questions they ask you?

Thanks for any help you can give.

John.

Hi all,

Just wanted to get advice about the practical part of the vetteassess for electricians as I have mine coming up shortly. Can anybody shed some light please

Thanks

THIS IS MY OH FROM LAST YEAR . HOPE IT HELPS

the day started in the main hall about 40-50 people all different trades, then we were sent off with different assessors.

started in the classroom checking passports and paperwork. we were first given some risk assessments to fill in nothing too complicated things like

task- use of hand tools

risk involved- cuts and bruises to persons using tools

method to reduce risk- person to be competent in using such equipment.

you are asked to complete 3 or 4 of the tasks so have a few ready to put down. quite basic stuff though.

we were then given the multiple choice questions. you need to get 4 out of 5 questions right in each section 4 sections in total. plenty of time to complete them but if like me you left college 20+ years ago you want to put some revision in , there were lots of circuit calculations, resistors in parallel + series so revise OHMS law

u = 1 x R

revise the formulas for parallel & series

and practice examples

there were a few power questions RMS values

power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (ampres)

P = U x I

power factor etc

inductance in a circuit would hold back current (lagging circuit)

capacitance would hold back voltage ( leading circuit)

transformer ratios

one or two on 3 phase power .

from there we went to the workshop just the same as in college your own work area to begin the practical. all materials laid out on table and you just take what you need consumer unit rcd mcbs screws conduit etc...

as your getting on with that she calls you to do other part disconnection reconnection process or the DOL starter once you have done that you return to your work station and carry on .

now the tricky part ( for me anyway)

DOL STARTER

you have to draw a circuit for the DOL starter

get to know the symbols for each part etc

then will then ask you to connect it altogether with push in leads and you can put 1 lead into another for the self hold contact in parallel on 11 connected 13 and 12 to 14 as the diagram shows. you then have to go away and she puts a fault on it. so its just a matter of checking each lead to the diagram or just pull them all out and start again. having the diagram i was emailed will help you make sense of this part please pm if you would like a copy i can email it to you ( big thanks to stephen derby for this biggrin.gif)

I was really stressed about this part as I dont work with DOL starters but having now done it and also having a diagram emailed to by another poster on here it was very basic stuff

there is also another diagram for the layout of the practical task which can be emailed aswell .when carrying out the practical there are set dimensions you have to stick to such as distance between switches , socket heights and lamp holder positioning check your dimensions draw it in pencil on the wall.

you have to carry out continuity test and insulation resistance with a megger and record results and if they pass or fail. They then connect a power lead up to the consumer unit to check it all works.

Get to know the disconnection and reconnection process by heart they are very strict on this. you have to talk them through what you are doing and you cant miss anything out just remember check voltage tester at known source first and then again after each time you use it. she was helpful and prompted you but would not tell you what to do

They do have tools there but looks better if you have your own, only used safety boots and took overalls hat gloves and goggles but didn't need them .

was finished by 4pm then they rang me to say I hadn't completed some paperwork so i rushed back and it was just a questionaire !!!

so just have to sit and wait for the results, in the next 10 days. if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will pass on to my husband

good luck all

I'm sure it was single phase not that it mattered it was all about control circuit if you understand the latching circuit principle it'll be walk in the park.

stop button then start button in parallel with normally open contact then overload then contactor coil.

all formulas are on the back of test paper so as long as you know which to use you'll be fine. Three phase square root3 equations.

Line voltage and phase voltage calculations for star and delta. I think there was 16 questions broken into 4 subjects and you could only get one question wrong in each section or you'd fail.

They are good reasonable people who do the test so between you and me they give you a few attempts at it if you need them. I've got a fair few books one is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Installation-Work-Brian-Scaddan/dp/0750666196/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361747127&sr=1-9

I've also got a electrical copy of a HNC book which will cover everything and more I could email you if you want it.

Well, after lots of back and forth emails and phone calls with Vetassess I have finally got my assessment date for April 27th, in London. Can't wait to get it over and done with then apply for State Sponsorship. If everything goes to plan I should have my visa application in before the end of the visa year.

• 1 year later...

Hi Loulou,

just reading over your post and I was wondering if I can get a copy of the vetassess drawings you have and any useful information or pointers your O/H has it would be much appreciated. I have my assessment this Friday.

cherrs

ian

Ian,

I have sent you some stuff, if you need anything else then just let me know. There will also be calculations involving transformers, these are all straight forward.

Hope it helps.

John.

Edited by John S

• 1 year later...
THIS IS MY OH FROM LAST YEAR . HOPE IT HELPS

the day started in the main hall about 40-50 people all different trades, then we were sent off with different assessors.

started in the classroom checking passports and paperwork. we were first given some risk assessments to fill in nothing too complicated things like

task- use of hand tools

risk involved- cuts and bruises to persons using tools

method to reduce risk- person to be competent in using such equipment.

you are asked to complete 3 or 4 of the tasks so have a few ready to put down. quite basic stuff though.

we were then given the multiple choice questions. you need to get 4 out of 5 questions right in each section 4 sections in total. plenty of time to complete them but if like me you left college 20+ years ago you want to put some revision in , there were lots of circuit calculations, resistors in parallel + series so revise OHMS law

u = 1 x R

revise the formulas for parallel & series

and practice examples

there were a few power questions RMS values

power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (ampres)

P = U x I

power factor etc

inductance in a circuit would hold back current (lagging circuit)

capacitance would hold back voltage ( leading circuit)

transformer ratios

one or two on 3 phase power .

from there we went to the workshop just the same as in college your own work area to begin the practical. all materials laid out on table and you just take what you need consumer unit rcd mcbs screws conduit etc...

as your getting on with that she calls you to do other part disconnection reconnection process or the DOL starter once you have done that you return to your work station and carry on .

now the tricky part ( for me anyway)

DOL STARTER

you have to draw a circuit for the DOL starter

get to know the symbols for each part etc

then will then ask you to connect it altogether with push in leads and you can put 1 lead into another for the self hold contact in parallel on 11 connected 13 and 12 to 14 as the diagram shows. you then have to go away and she puts a fault on it. so its just a matter of checking each lead to the diagram or just pull them all out and start again. having the diagram i was emailed will help you make sense of this part please pm if you would like a copy i can email it to you ( big thanks to stephen derby for this biggrin.gif)

I was really stressed about this part as I dont work with DOL starters but having now done it and also having a diagram emailed to by another poster on here it was very basic stuff

there is also another diagram for the layout of the practical task which can be emailed aswell .when carrying out the practical there are set dimensions you have to stick to such as distance between switches , socket heights and lamp holder positioning check your dimensions draw it in pencil on the wall.

you have to carry out continuity test and insulation resistance with a megger and record results and if they pass or fail. They then connect a power lead up to the consumer unit to check it all works.

Get to know the disconnection and reconnection process by heart they are very strict on this. you have to talk them through what you are doing and you cant miss anything out just remember check voltage tester at known source first and then again after each time you use it. she was helpful and prompted you but would not tell you what to do

They do have tools there but looks better if you have your own, only used safety boots and took overalls hat gloves and goggles but didn't need them .

was finished by 4pm then they rang me to say I hadn't completed some paperwork so i rushed back and it was just a questionaire !!!

so just have to sit and wait for the results, in the next 10 days. if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will pass on to my husband

good luck all

Hi hi I have mine in a couple of weeks is there any chance you could send me that info please?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_0258.jpg

Hi guys! I'm new on this site, I have my skills assessment this weekend and I'm a little nervous because I have so many diagrams of a DOL starter but they are all different. Does anyone have a diagram they can share that they know would pass the assessment?

some of the symbols maybe off but you get the gist, don't panic it's pretty easy

This has been very useful, thank you.

Our agent is just about to send off the application for first part of the VETASSESS/TRA application (cant remember which one its with). This has been such a long drawn out process. Taken 5 months, of collecting information and evidence ect. Lets hope its all going to be worth it!! Does anyone know what the chances are of being unsuccessful at this stage?

Have any electricians recently made the move / in the process of doing so?? Be good to hear from you.

Got it my visa through about 2 months ago after a slog, you'll have to get your health/police checks next and then when you log it will take about 3 months, I fly out on March 12th but heading to Sydney. Are you going for a 189 visa? If you've passed everything so far and done your EOI I can't see as to why they wouldn't grant you what you want.

This has been very useful, thank you.

Our agent is just about to send off the application for first part of the VETASSESS/TRA application (cant remember which one its with). This has been such a long drawn out process. Taken 5 months, of collecting information and evidence ect. Lets hope its all going to be worth it!! Does anyone know what the chances are of being unsuccessful at this stage?

Have any electricians recently made the move / in the process of doing so?? Be good to hear from you.

• 3 years later...