Mining Careers!!!

Rach

Hi,

Me and my other half are looking to go to Perth in the Summer (uk summer) hopefully, we are literally saving every penny we can to go and wont be going over with lots of disposable income so need work quickly. We also have 2 dogs that will be following us out but after quarantine will only be with us 5wks later.. in those 5 weeks we have to secure somewhere to stay which i know is going to be difficult and is making me nervous enough as it is. My partner is a plumber/gas engineer and i know from past posts its hard to get into so looks like the mines is the way he is going to have to go... Can they sponsor your visa for you? as we were looking to go on a working holiday visa and hopefully get sponsorship and be able to stay, but if they sponsor it before going... obviously having a job to go out with and start straight away is going to make life so much easier!!

We really want to go, and obviously having the dogs makes life alot more difficult as we are on a time frame, we have no one we can leave them with in the UK until we are sorted! .... im getting a little stressed out now!!

Any ideas of who to contact on the mining jobs info, work etc...

Thanks..xxx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into mining has always been difficult and with a downturn biting it is exceptionally difficult. The trade of your parter would only have appeal to projects in construction as not a lot of call for it otherwise. His other option would be to enter as a general trainee. However, there are few companies currently taking on trainees as there are a lot of guys with experience looking for work.

Then, even in the middle of the boom, few mines took on people on WHV as it isn't worth it as the fact they can only offer 6 months of service isn't worth it. Some companies have a month of inductions. Then a couple of months training.

Lastly, there is a lot of politics now about 457 visas in the industry which is making companies wary of using them. I flew home on Monday evening from work and there were groups of union guys handing out leaflets to campaign against 457 visas.

So, ultimately I would say your chances of getting into the industry as very low. You wouldnbe better off applying for skilled migration. Otherwise I think you need to treat your WHV as just that. A holiday and you will be leaving Oz in a year.

Hi Rach

Please listen to Verystormy as he knows exactly what he is talking about.

I have family members who have trades and are either working in the mining industry or have been until recently. (Made redundant because of lack of work!!!!). It isn't easy to get into this industry and Australian employers are beginning to move away from 457 sponsorship as they do not have the need for workers.

The Working Holiday Visa is just that.....a HOLIDAY visa ... which gives you the right to work in a casual job for up to 6 months with one employer. It is NOT a pathway to emigration and should never be viewed as such.

And why on earth would you come to Australia on a WHV and bring your dogs????

Rossmoyne - i thought this forum was for help an advice which is exactly what i am looking for... I do not know how everything works which is why im on here, the more i find out the better. I do not need

to be criticised.....

Mad cow (great name) :) & very stormy- thanku very much for ur advice!!!! I will look into things in a different way!!!x

Yes we have looked into that.. he does need to do a course to transfer it over, which isnt a problem but what is the point in paying if we cant even get work in that industry... Its just so confusing we have some ppl tellin us jobs r so easy to get when ur there and theres so many.. but then ive read on here past posts where people are struggling to find work. Hes quite a handy man and does a bit of all trade and does love his job but would happily train in something else. I have a few friends moving over and have been before and keep telling me it will be fine but we have commitments (dogs) that cant just be moved back and to if it doesnt work out. I wana go... why cant it all be simple :)

I think the problem is if you are fully qualified in a sought after skill with a permanent Visa you'll get work . If your not you may struggle. Everyone forgets that for every PR visa issued, more often than not follows an unskilled partner, so unskilled work is hard to find. I wish you luck it is a hard decision. Mining is notoriously difficult to get into even with a trade let alone without one.

Edited by Give me a break!

Hi Rach I hope things work out for you. We are flying to western Australia early May and have a permanent visa. My husband has extensive dumper driving experience in the mines in UK. He has sent numerous applications and CV's to different companies and heard nothing back. I am hoping things may be different when we get there, fingers crossed x

Hi Rach I hope things work out for you. We are flying to western Australia early May and have a permanent visa. My husband has extensive dumper driving experience in the mines in UK. He has sent numerous applications and CV's to different companies and heard nothing back. I am hoping things may be different when we get there, fingers crossed x

He'll have to wait till he gets here and gets the licences and tickets

Thanks... i hope things work out for you. Let me know how you get on.. im sure you will be fine if he has experience doing it already!! x

I think the problem is if you are fully qualified in a sought after skill with a permanent Visa you'll get work . If your not you may struggle. Everyone forgets that for every PR visa issued, more often than not follows an unskilled partner, so unskilled work is hard to find. I wish you luck it is a hard decision. Mining is notoriously difficult to get into even with a trade let alone without one.

Thanks.... hopefully we will make the right decision whatever it is and it will work out...x

I would have a back up plan. We currently get about 300 applications a month for dump truck drivers and that is without advertising. I have a member of staff at present on a temp basis who is running my core yard. He has experience in dump trucks in Oz, is one of the best workers I have had but even he can't get on, even though he is working on site. Add in that mine dump trucks here are generally different to uk ones and he will need a back up plan to say the least.

When you get here, feel free to pm me and I will let you know of any companies that are hiring.

Rossmoyne - i thought this forum was for help an advice which is exactly what i am looking for... I do not know how everything works which is why im on here, the more i find out the better. I do not need

to be criticised.....

Advice is what you were given... Not critising you - just asking why you would want to come all this way on a temporary working holiday visa and bring your animals.

Thanks very stormy. I am a nurse so I am looking to get work ASAP. If there is not the work on dump trucks he is happy to work anywhere really xx

You should be fine to get work as a nurse. Join an agency and work in the areas around where you settle. Just getting back to the dogs, can you hold off on getting them here until you get more settled and are no longer on a WHV?

I really would rethink the dogs as well. It is a huge expense and if you are here on a WHV there is every chance it will be just that. A holiday. From which you will return to e UK in a year. It's about 4k per dog one way. So that is a huge amount of money for what is likely to be a holiday. If you really want to do it permanent go down the skilled migration route. I think your partners skills are eligible. It will take a bit longer, but that will give you more time to save. Perth is a very expensive place and you need as much money as possible before you arrive.

I agree - madness bringing two dogs if you're here on a WHV. not only the expense but it will be harder to find accommodation. Places are always more likely to rent to people without pets and renting is hard enough as it is. If you don't get work you could go into a flat share as a cheap option - that'd be impossible with two dogs in tow.

We have just been looking into things and it was an option but after we have been doing research and wont be bringing dogs until we are there permanently wether we hold out on the other visa or if my OH goes first to see if he can get work then i will follow on.

its hard we have 2 dogs that i hav had 2 yrs and no one can look after them for us. I dont want to just give them up its not fair on them, if we go they come, it just makes things alot harder... If we didnt have the dogs trust me id be there already!x

Don't want to through another spanner at you Rach, but have you checked out if your partner can work here in his trade? A lot of trades need to get a Oz certification. I am not certain which do and don't, but I suspect your partners is one that will. If so he needs to check that as it isn't just a process of getting certificates from the UK. For example, for electricians it takes up to a year of study.

I have to say although here on a 457 visa - my hubby works in the mines- I have to say I agree the 457 visa is s**t visa to have. As they say if we knew then what we knew now. But enough of that. As for the WHV use it to travle Australia, as if you were working in the mines you would not get much of a chance to see anything of the country due to the time you spend in work. There vent over

There is nothing 'wrong' with Cheshire, but i do feel we would like the opportunity to move elsewhere a bit of sun and better lifestyle we also have friends in Perth and other locations in WA.

Things aren't easy thats the problem but im not just going to give up something i want to do because it isn't straight forward thats life im afraid...

There is nothing 'wrong' with Cheshire, but i do feel we would like the opportunity to move elsewhere a bit of sun and better lifestyle we also have friends in Perth and other locations in WA.

Things aren't easy thats the problem but im not just going to give up something i want to do because it isn't straight forward thats life im afraid...

You go for it then because the opportunity is there for you. It is just down to the planning and that it may take a bit longer than expected given all the circumstances. Jobs appear to be the key and Very Stormy has given us all an up to date insight into mining work. It is not as great as it sounds in terms of vacancies. Other vacanices, in other sectors, will arise but you probably need to be here, and have all the Aussie certificates, and with a suitbale visa in hand to secure any of those.

It is going that way more and more with fewer positions being secured unless you are here. In addition the political feeling, from at least one of the major parties, is that the visa system is not working and should jobs be for Australians first? Bear in mind it is an election year this year and things could change very quickly in terms of visa availabilty and type depending on who wins.

May be you just bite the bullet and begin a suitable visa application asap?

Edited by StraighttothePoint