Rach

Mining Careers!!!

The irony of all this downturn is that as a draftsman who is struggling to find work, the best options are back in the UK. The mining boom was good whilst it lasted, but there are now too many people competing for too few jobs, so it's looking like it's time to head where the drafting work is, at least for the time being.

Lots of the mining guys are doing the same. Nearly all the British geologists I know have either gone back or plan to as there is more demand for roles in Africa FIFO from London. I have just got a new job in east Africa. Start in a month. We will be staying in Perth though and I will FIFO from here as I will also spend time based in the Perth office.

Lots of the mining guys are doing the same. Nearly all the British geologists I know have either gone back or plan to as there is more demand for roles in Africa FIFO from London. I have just got a new job in east Africa. Start in a month. We will be staying in Perth though and I will FIFO from here as I will also spend time based in the Perth office.

Well Verystormy, that sounds the way to go for the future - FIFO to Africa. The wife is not too keen on relocating to the UK as it's a pretty expensive thing to do and the kids have just settled in to a new school. I was thinking of going on my own but she's not keen on that either. A FIFO role would be ideal, so if you hear of anyone looking for a piping/mechanical draftsman then feel free to let me know. I will just have to persist with the local market for the time being.

Good Luck with the new job VS....

My son has friends who have now moved into jobs in Tanzania FIFO from Perth. Son decided he had had enough of the FIFO lifestyle and is actually very happy in a new job in Perth. Missing the pay though - but you can't have it all!