Hints and Tips for new arrivals?

Guest sazgeering

Guest sazgeering

Hey guys - we have now booked our flights for July and are now completely petrified and stressed to the max!!! :wacko:

Does anyone have any handy hints or tips for when we first arrive down under?

We have heard that we should keep our driving licence and passport with us at all times as they seem to be needed for everything, but what else...?

:unsure:

Guest sazgeering

Thanks very stormy - we found a medicare centre when we came out to visit - can you apply in any one of them, or does it have to be like a "central office" or something?

The tax file number I think I saw we could apply online for, but we don't have an address confirmed yet, so will have to wait until we have that organised.

We have managed to open bank accounts with NAB, so thats all organised - hopefully it'll just be a case of picking up our cards and showing ID when we arrive!

abc - we live in north east scotland - my hubbie will probably be walking about in shorts and t-shirts when we get there - we're seeing between 8 and 12.5 degrees at the moment - this is coming into our summer! :-)

abc - we live in north east scotland - my hubbie will probably be walking about in shorts and t-shirts when we get there - we're seeing between 8 and 12.5 degrees at the moment - this is coming into our summer! :-)

It's about 8-12 degrees here now, especially in the evenings! I had 4 layers on this morning, been here too long now & have gone soft, hate the cold!!!

Good luck!

Thanks very stormy - we found a medicare centre when we came out to visit - can you apply in any one of them, or does it have to be like a "central office" or something?

The tax file number I think I saw we could apply online for, but we don't have an address confirmed yet, so will have to wait until we have that organised.

We have managed to open bank accounts with NAB, so thats all organised - hopefully it'll just be a case of picking up our cards and showing ID when we arrive!

Medicare you go into do (be prepared to wait for sometime in there - avoid lunch times.

Tax file can be done online

Make sure you contact NAB 2 weeks before arrival as they arrange an appointment to collect your card - we had to go into perth city to do this.

Passport and Driving license a must everywhere.

Iam not finding it cold been here almost 3 weeks havent worn jeans once yet.

Get Satnav

Moibile phones (make sure phone is unlocked) then you can get pay as you go mobile sim for $2 you wont get contract until you have perm address and you need passport or driving license to even get sim (and to post a parcel)

Get mobile internet - but be warned connection can be awful but its a must to know where home opens are.

Get rental package put together, include personal and work reference, copies of bank statement, proof of earning( if job to go to) and agents details on your property (if you have sold one in the uk) or rental reference from current agent.

If on perm visa you can claim family allowance cant remember name this can be done in main medicare office oh its called centrelink but you need tax file to do this but you can also do online once you get your tax file (still waiting on ours)

think thats all i can think of for now

Sarah

Not winter yet..... 1st June that starts. Late July and August coldest I reckon.

I do expect it will get colder iam not kidding myself not that silly. I have just come back from the beach with the little one both of us in shorts and she wants to go again tomorrow to have dinner and a play there thankfully on the radio on the way back it said its was going to be 23 in Perth tomorrow. Having just come from a cold wet UK this does feel like summer lol

I do expect it will get colder iam not kidding myself not that silly. I have just come back from the beach with the little one both of us in shorts and she wants to go again tomorrow to have dinner and a play there thankfully on the radio on the way back it said its was going to be 23 in Perth tomorrow. Having just come from a cold wet UK this does feel like summer lol

The beach!!.... Blooming heck it is freezing. I hope that the social work department does not find out that you had a young un there today or you will be having to answer some serious questions in relation to child cruelty :wink:

We have been here that long now we even need to wait until mid January, when the ocean heats up, before we go in for a swim.... :wacko:

Guest Kg22
Hey guys - we have now booked our flights for July and are now completely petrified and stressed to the max!!! :wacko:

Does anyone have any handy hints or tips for when we first arrive down under?

We have heard that we should keep our driving licence and passport with us at all times as they seem to be needed for everything, but what else...?

:unsure:

We have just got back from Medicare office and we also needed original visa paperwork, children and I had ours but husband didn't so remember that!

Also remember recent Sch reports if you've kids

Yep, bring warm clothes. Not just for going out. Remember, most Perth houses have no form of heating and no double glazing or anything, so in doors can get chilly. I am away at work at the moment, so not an issue for me, but I just called the wife who is sat under a throw to try and keep warm with the dog who was shaking.

As others have said, get a WA drivers licence asap as you need it for all sorts of things and dont forget to carry it with you when driving. It is law here that you can produce it if stopped. There is no concept of producing it at a police station later.

Guest firedart

You will constantly need to show your visa at first especially when applying for work so keep that safe.

If you have children make sure their immunisations are all up to date with proof as this is needed for them to attend school and kindy.

Guest sazgeering

WOW - thanks guys for all the feedback - its been great - we don't have kids so its just the two of us to worry about - we actually managed to get a pay as you go mobile when we were last out there , so thats one thing ticked off our list.

Will remember to print 2 copies of the visa grant notice - we don't have a stamp or anything in our passport though - is this paper notice OK?

I'm sure we'll be joining you on the beach as we had 6 degrees and hail yesterday!!!! :-(

If anyone has any advice or any suggestions for accomodation also, that would be fantastic - don't care where but only have budget of up to $400 per week - we're considering house shares too - so any help would be great! Thanks :-)

Will remember to print 2 copies of the visa grant notice - we don't have a stamp or anything in our passport though - is this paper notice OK?

If anyone has any advice or any suggestions for accomodation also, that would be fantastic - don't care where but only have budget of up to $400 per week - we're considering house shares too - so any help would be great! Thanks :-)

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/vevo.htm Go onto this site login and you should be able to see yourselves!! There are no "visa" stamps as such anymore but you can, for $70 or so each, get a bit of paper pasted into your passport either before you leave or here in Perth when you arrive. What should be happening is that employers who are involved with immigrants, public bodies, government departments etc login to VEVO and check things electronically. (One government department promoting something and others not using it, mental.) Of course VEVO is sensible given that we have online systems everywhere, are a web orientated society and are after all are now in 2013. The problem is that we are in WA and as my son keeps saying "what is it like living away back there in the 1990's!!" :wink: Anything that is electronically available, easy to access and easy to use has to be a plus in my world. No doubt there will be a hundred reasons as to why I am wrong but to me technology is designed to save effort, save time and money. If it is not being used then, apart from blaming folk for being old or for being ignorant of the fact, we need to promote things, educate and help others and change the world..... Rant for today over :biggrin:

As for accommodation for $400 per week. Try searching through this site http://reiwa.com.au/home/default.aspx but it I guess you will be well out of Perth city for that budget figure. House shares would still be around $300 to $400 but it is certainly an option and as Stormy says www.gumtree.com.au for that search.

Ah hail, marvellous. Don't you just love weather. All kinds of weather, fantastic.....

Yep so get your comments, but after a few years you will understand the whole "Ugg boot and Trackydak" thing in winter....

Don't rent in an area where you cannot afford to buy, children get settled in school, adults get established then you have to uproot or stay renting. That's my tip, it's very easy to be seduced.

A very sensible post Greg and something worth considering. However, not everyone will know where they want to live before they arrive, so renting somewhere will give them a good feel for the area, and if they need to move on.... so be it. It is so much better to rent for a while before buying... a sort of "try before you buy" scheme really.

The beach!!.... Blooming heck it is freezing. I hope that the social work department does not find out that you had a young un there today or you will be having to answer some serious questions in relation to child cruelty :wink:

We have been here that long now we even need to wait until mid January, when the ocean heats up, before we go in for a swim.... :wacko:

Softie!!!!!!