Aussie Food

Nikkis2000

I'm a bit of a foodie at heart and I enjoy cooking food as much as eating it!

Naturally on a forum like this there are lots of comparisons to English food and questions about finding alternatives.

Whilst there are always going to be certain things more difficult to come by, I am really looking forward to being able to try new things.

So my question to the Aussie residents is what is your favourite Aussie food and what is a must try when we arrive?

N x

depends on where your living. We're in WA, near the coast, and basically the seafood is great. I hated seafood before ariving, but now its very much part of my diet. lots of shell fish, chilli mussels, etc - great.

Nick

Actually, most Oz seafood and in particular in WA, is imported.

I actually find the sea food in WA to be very poor and is one of the things i really miss a lot from the UK. My wife finds it particularly hard as she is Peruvian and most of the Peru cooking is seafood based.

"Modern Australian" seems to be expensive steaks, small salads, with a small choice of seafood or Kangaroo/Emu.

Since moving here from the UK, I'm eating more Thai, seafood and quality steak.

But I miss a cheap & dirty chinese so much that I've started making shredded chilli beef and seaweed myself (can't find them here).

Whatever you liked in the UK you'll get here. But it'll be a little different.

The Thai is good, I find the seafood fabulous, but I guess we didn't get many prawns in the Manchester Ship Canal. We regularly use minced kangaroo instead of beef in chillis etc, it's very lean and tastes really meaty. But Indian's are hard to come by

Tracey

depends on where your living. We're in WA, near the coast, and basically the seafood is great. I hated seafood before ariving, but now its very much part of my diet. lots of shell fish, chilli mussels, etc - great.

Nick

Conversely I really miss cold water seafood / shellfish. I find it very bland here.

To be honest, the food, is something i do not like about WA. It is a serious (and amazingly expensive) hassle to get good quality food. Fine if you are ok with the junk they sell in Woolworths. But good quality - nope, unless you head for somewhere like Boatshed, but then you can easy pay over $100 for a small basket of things

Guest guest9824

I would say my girls eat lots of different things here and try different things since living here, stuff they wouldn't have even tried in the UK like Thai and Japanese. I do get a bit upset when we go for a special meal and it doesn't live up to its price tag. I guess the best food will probably come out of your own kitchen and at a fraction of the cost of eating out.

Am yet to find a good Indian. Went to the new one in Mandurah first time was ok second time we went omg keema nan bread was most definitely it was not not it was nan bread with meat paste horrid hubby ordered a madras that looked and tasted like a korma horrid will not be going back. In the UK we were spoilt with good Indian res truants and take aways. Not a lover of Chinese food but the few Thai meals we have had have been good.

Eating out at high quality places in WA is just soooo damned expensive. We are off to Nobu in Burswood next week and i know i am not going to see a lot of change from $400 min for two

Blimey that's a lot, sure that the name of the place is not an anagram!! Two words, first word U.... Second word three letters, first letter N... :wink:

It would need to be a special event at that price, divorce, or something really worthwhile like that. Hope the after party is worth it!!:wink:

My wife was over the moon last week when we went out, happy as larry, delirious in fact. It was the first time in nearly six months that I took her somewhere an Entertainment Book voucher was not involved. She thought I had won the pools.:wink:

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Eating out at high quality places in WA is just soooo damned expensive. We are off to Nobu in Burswood next week and i know i am not going to see a lot of change from $400 min for two

Ouch!! But if it has the same rep over there as it does here it'll be worth it.

Definitley sounds like you've deserved it as well! Enjoy.

Been away nearly 6 weeks in Africa at work, so a treat is in order.Doing theatre - Jesus Christ Super Star, then dinner. After weeks in a tent in the Tanzanian bush,i have earned a treat

Agree that you do need the treat VS.... but sometimes you come across as a total food snob!!!

Agree that you do need the treat VS.... but sometimes you come across as a total food snob!!!

Sorry. It is just something i am passionate about - weekends consist of buying the papers to read the food sections, then going on line to read them in the UK papers.

I can happily spend days just walking around in Boatshed.

Sorry. It is just something i am passionate about - weekends consist of buying the papers to read the food sections, then going on line to read them in the UK papers.

I can happily spend days just walking around in Boatshed.

Nothing wrong with that!

The reason I started this thread is because I enjoy cooking and eating good food. It's great to get a view from all perspectives of what's available out there.

Sounds like there might be niche for opening an Indian!!

Guest guest9824

Go Gos(Lamb slow cooked with spinach...very nice) in Mt Lawley is good(Indian cricket team apparantly eat there when on tour in OZ), and the Cinnamon Club in Applecross is also good and a lovely restaurant although havent been there for a while. I didnt think much to 9Marys in the city, very expensive and very small portions, but some may say its good, but generally its not the same as the UK, probably cooked more traditionally here than the UK as indian food has been adapted to suit the UK palette. Where we lived in the UK we were spoiled with the amount of curry houses around and China Town in Manchester (for chinese) was also very good. Had some great food in Busselton and Margaret River!

Pea

Guest guest9824

Just while we are on the subject of cost and value for money...what is Degustation all about??? $175.00 per head without wine...ehhhhhh.....takes me back to Nouveau Crapscine....small portions, of nothingness...restaurants charging a fortune, living off old out of date reputations and heres the clincher....not even good service!!! Just dont see the point of spending copious amounts of money on food which just doesnt deliver! Would rather eat my own arm than spend $400.00 on a meal for two (I am presuming its for two) sorry VS.

pea

Just while we are on the subject of cost and value for money...what is Degustation all about??? $175.00 per head without wine...ehhhhhh.....takes me back to Nouveau Crapscine....small portions, of nothingness...restaurants charging a fortune, living off old out of date reputations and heres the clincher....not even good service!!! Just dont see the point of spending copious amounts of money on food which just doesnt deliver! Would rather eat my own arm than spend $400.00 on a meal for two (I am presuming its for two) sorry VS.

pea

I partly agree with the Degustation comment. But, partly disagree. It depends on the restaurant - The Fat Duck and the sadly demised El Buli were both degustation only. The former is probably one of the best value meals you can eat. In Perth, they are largely poor, with the exception of Amuse, which also only does a single menu of 10 courses. No choice, but it has always been excellent and some of the best service i have had anywhere in the world. The wine package is excellent value -$65 is memory serves, for 7 wines, but given the quality of the wines, you would struggle to get them by the glass for twice that anywhere else

I begrudge paying what i have to pay in Perth for fine dining - I can go to lunch at Dinner With Heston for $50. But, if i want to eat fine dining, i dont have a choice.

Nobu is actually very good. We have been before and the food and service was excellent. We wont be having the degustation menu, as it doesnt include dishes that i want.

Generally speaking, eating out in Perth is a very mediocre experience. There are probably 3 decent places - Nobu, Amuse and Jacksons. All of which are not going to see a lot of change from $400. But, given that you can go to a number of other places in the city and pay nearly that for rubbish food and poor service, they do offer some value. The biggest rip off is probably Rockpool where you can blow well past the $400 mark - main course alone can - and while service is good, the food isnt. We had to send things back twice last time