going to oz maybe ill

bwatt99

Myself,wife and baby fly on thurs to start our life on oz,my parents had decided to come on holiday same time,mother not been feeling to well a week ago or so and had blood test done they said maybe some up with kidneys,they said could be just a blip and to get another test and if still same could or could maybe not be serious her,she told doctor that she was going to oz on thursday leaving thursday morning they said she mght not be able to go if there is a problem,they said if anytjing did go wrong over there it would cost her a fortune etc can they stop her from going,would she be a fortune to be treated if something did happen over there,we are hoping its just a blimp but how does she stand if told cant go and with her flights etc as she will not know until weds and we go on thursday,its worrying timed for me as well if she cant go snf we just get over there and something happens,seems everything is going wrong right now for us.

I have read this over and over.... What to say?

If she goes back to the doctors before you leave and they say do not travel, or they highly recommend she does not travel, then you should be prepared for that. If it was me then I would not let my mother fly but possibly that is not what you want to hear. No money in this world is worth the risk to my mothers health. Losing a flight cost and some insurance costs, assuming she has taken cover, would not convince me to let her travel. The long haul flight and the conditions that incurs could tip her over the edge. So suspect that is your first point of decision so you need to discuss that immediately I would have thought.

As for health costs over here if she does come. Have you taken out insurance? If so that may cover some of any potential cost. Also with there being a recipricol health agreement with the UK she will get examined here and a doctor will see her. What you will never now though is what any the health costs would be until you are here, she is ill and a doctor has examined and prescribed her treatment or worse places her in hospital? Then you would see how much and you would then end up trying to work out what you can claim back or get on the recipricol agreement. Also what happens if she takes ill enroute though and has to leave the plane at the stop over? That is also a consideration. That could be more costly than being here and ill depending on where you are stopping over.

Ok that is the negative view. The other more positive view is that she is just nervous, anxious and has a minor problem. She can get some medication before she leaves to cover her stay here. Then if she runs out she buys more and either claims back on insurance or just pays without worrying.

I still go back to me first point and that is wait until you know for sure and if the recommendation is not to travel have a plan in place to deal with that view. Hopefully I am not a million miles off here but others may have a very different opinion. As I say my mothers health is more important than a few grand on an air fare and a holiday that can be put back.

Myself,wife and baby fly on thurs to start our life on oz,my parents had decided to come on holiday same time,mother not been feeling to well a week ago or so and had blood test done they said maybe some up with kidneys,they said could be just a blip and to get another test and if still same could or could maybe not be serious her,she told doctor that she was going to oz on thursday leaving thursday morning they said she mght not be able to go if there is a problem,they said if anytjing did go wrong over there it would cost her a fortune etc can they stop her from going,would she be a fortune to be treated if something did happen over there,we are hoping its just a blimp but how does she stand if told cant go and with her flights etc as she will not know until weds and we go on thursday,its worrying timed for me as well if she cant go snf we just get over there and something happens,seems everything is going wrong right now for us.

Reciprocal agreements do not usually cover pre-existing conditions and same goes for insurance. If she doesn't get the all clear from her doctor it is not worth the risk of her travelling if she could lose her home/ life savings and it may also be too risky for her health. Be careful and make sure you checkout the potential risks and consequences before deciding whether she can travel or not.

I hope she gets the all clear. Fingers crossed for you.