kirsty81

AIMS professional exam (Medical Lab Scientists)

Hi

I have to sit the above examination in London in September and there is only 1 previous paper available.

Has anyone sat the exam and any areas in particular to focus on? I am finding it struggle to try and condense what is like my MSc so any help or information would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Hi

I have to sit the AIMS Medical Scientist examination in March and there is only one sample paper available on AIMS website.

I do mailed AIMS regarding this but they replied me that is what it provided, just upset, any guidance welcome please.

Has anyone sat the exam and any suggestions you would like to give me and any questions you remember on the day of your examination please.

Many thanks

I feel your pain! It is so frustrating knowing you have the relevant qualifications and experience but it is not good enough.

Firstly, the exam is not as bad as you think but it is tough. With regards to Biochem, in the exam there was emphasis on practical aspects. What tubes for glucose aside from the obvious fluoride and certain circumstances e.g serum unseparated, if a specimen was left uncentrifuged what would you not test and why, anion gap question came up, biological variation, difference between wet and dry chemistry. Micro learn strains and identification tests and types of disc diffusion. Blood transfusion was complicated. They gave a question about what blood you would give a particular blood type which was worth a few marks. Haem learn the different red cells and when they arise. There was one question which asked about 5 different cells. Cyto and Histo was actually ok and doesn't differ much from the questions. Know the stains which seems impossible, colours and the process involved in both, different fixatives etc.

I found the IBMS books of great help and writing down brief notes on cards which i could look at on train journeys etc or quiet periods in work.

It is very frustrating as the topics are so wide and varied. I studied so much, felt my life was non existant and alot doesn't come up but you don't know what will come up. I work in Genetics and worked in Biochem over 5 years ago and felt it was Biochem that let me down. I should be getting my results in the next few weeks and don't think i've done well. My friend resat it with me so I will ask her for some advise too.

Regards

Kirsty

Thank you Kirsty, felt happy to see the immediate reply as I posted the similar question on Britishexpats.com but haven't got any replies there.

I wish some good fortunate with your results, let's hope for the best, your inputs are very valuable and appreciated.

I bought a few books which the AIMS website mentions the recommended reading list. Planning to go through the mentioned major areas of knowledge (syllabus) expected on website.

Please keep posting the questions as you remember them here and your friend's thoughts. I can not afford resitting the exam as i determined to make it at any cost. Just wondered, have you gone through the syllabus which they asked in particular of each subject?, I understand the depth you were prepared for the exam, often people specialized in one major area and may find difficult to answer the other sections.

I used to work for NHS, Swindon when i was in UK, now back to home India two years now, working in a medium sized private laboratory where both Biochem and Heam are dealt regularly, have to sit for exam here in New Delhi.

Regards

J

Edited by dwarasilareddy

No problem at all. I have been in your situation and would loved to have some advise! But I think you will be fine if you have Biochem and Haem background.

Anything I think of I will post on here. I have some powerpoint presentations I found which I tried to email but there was no attachments. If you don't mind you can provide me with your email address and I can email them.

I studied all of the sections. You do feel you have wasted alot of time but you have no idea what came up. I tried to study a topic a month expect for histo and cyto and then the last month try and go over all the subjects for quick revision.

Good luck

Kirsty

Hi fellow medical scientists... I'm new here, but very excited in being part of this...

FINALLY some place discussing about medical laboratory scientists in Oz... I have been trying to find info for over a year, but no 'real life' experience info. Can you guys share your experience with me and give me some advice?

I have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and I am registered as a Biomedical Scientist in Brazil and registered in UK as Genetic Technologist. I have been working in the UK in cytogenetics as Genetic Technologist for over 7 years. I am a senior genetic technologist, have full responsibilities for a section in the lab I work, analyze and report cases, the only thing I can't do is sign out reports. Do you think I would be qualified to work as a Medical Laboratory Scientist in Oz? I want to register with AIMS as well... did they asked you to take a test before start working in Oz?

Thanks a lot for your help :biggrin:

Firstly I would get my qualifications assessed by AIMS, I had to complete a IELTS exam to enable myself to do so. They will require copies of your qualifications, transcripts etc. You will prob have to sit the exam. I work in Newborn screening and although I have the relevant qualifications and 9 years experience, it wasn't their registered qualification. I will admit the exam is tough, you have to cover all disciplines although you do not work in them or indeed to do so. You need to study ALOT!

Hope this helps.

Hi Kirsty81... thanks for your reply...

I think what you suggest is the best way to start... I'll wait until I have the visa then I'll start my AIMS registration... when I contacted them they said the regristration would work as a kind of assessment, and then they would direct me on what else was needed.

The, like you said, is head down and study... study... study!

Thanks for the tip :smile2:

Guest Asma27
    I feel your pain! It is so frustrating knowing you have the relevant qualifications and experience but it is not good enough.

Firstly, the exam is not as bad as you think but it is tough. With regards to Biochem, in the exam there was emphasis on practical aspects. What tubes for glucose aside from the obvious fluoride and certain circumstances e.g serum unseparated, if a specimen was left uncentrifuged what would you not test and why, anion gap question came up, biological variation, difference between wet and dry chemistry. Micro learn strains and identification tests and types of disc diffusion. Blood transfusion was complicated. They gave a question about what blood you would give a particular blood type which was worth a few marks. Haem learn the different red cells and when they arise. There was one question which asked about 5 different cells. Cyto and Histo was actually ok and doesn't differ much from the questions. Know the stains which seems impossible, colours and the process involved in both, different fixatives etc.

I found the IBMS books of great help and writing down brief notes on cards which i could look at on train journeys etc or quiet periods in work.

It is very frustrating as the topics are so wide and varied. I studied so much, felt my life was non existant and alot doesn't come up but you don't know what will come up. I work in Genetics and worked in Biochem over 5 years ago and felt it was Biochem that let me down. I should be getting my results in the next few weeks and don't think i've done well. My friend resat it with me so I will ask her for some advise too.

Regards

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty,

Thank you for providing and sharing all this information on this site. If you don't mind me asking, have you been successful in passing the exam? As you mentioned earlier that you had to read alot and used all the relevant textbooks that have been recommended by the AIMs website. Do you recommend that I buy them too?

I am currently working as a biomedical scientist in haematology and blood transfusion and have got 5 yrs of experience in the UK so far. I am desperately seeking to moving to Australia. I was also considering a diploma course that could help me with the AIMS assessment exam but I am not sure if that is the right way as it costs £18000 for the entire course. Do you think that would be a waste of time and do you think that self directed learning would be sufficient enough?

On the other hand have you been applying for jobs in Australia and if so have you had any luck with interviews?

Further information about your experience with this so far would be very much appreciated. I hope to hear from you soon.

Guest sherylnoelle

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the information.

I am to take the AIMS examination in September and the information that you posted are of great help to me.

I will appreciate it more if you can also share some other details to me any additional information about the exam.

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the information.

I am to take the AIMS examination in September and the information that you posted are of great help to me.

I will appreciate it more if you can also share some other details to me any additional information about the exam.

@sherylnoelle

leave your mail I'd, would like to share the info

@dwarasilareddy

hello! how was your AIMS prof exam? hope it went well. will be taking mine this september too and am wondering if you could share some info too. thank you so much.

Hi Kirsty:I want to prepare the exam recently could you give me some advice?Which book you read?Do you know the USA certification ASAP?They are the same?

The exam is all question ?It very hard? Thanks

I am new to this forum.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very helpful. I hope to sit the exam in September and feel I have limited time to prepare- less than three months. You mentioned using IBMS books. Are they sufficient and which ones did you find very useful. I am a Biomedical Scientist, with Haematology and Clinical Chemistry background. Does that mean I don"t have to buy the recommended books?

Please help specific strategies/ tips on how you are able to pull together the different courses together..

Your help and support will be very much appreciated.

Hi Kirsty, I would like to get tips, useful website etc that you have found useful please. Once I get a response, I will send you my email address.

Thanks.

Not sure if you have found answer to your queries, but AIMS staff and website indicates that its about 10 weeks maximum. Below is an extract from the website.

[TABLE=width: 750]

[TR]

[TD] 'Our delivery policy / timeframe for completion of your assessment is generally between 6 – 8 weeks but please be aware it can take up to 10 weeks in some cases. We do not offer a priority or express service but we always endeavour to complete your application as quickly as possible'.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

How was the exam? Do you mind sharing please. If you dont mind strategies that you adopted to achieve. This will be very appreciated.

Hi Asma27,

If you don't me asking, Have you been able to sit the exam? Any useful tips for exam as well as job opportunities? Is life as a medical lab scientist greener in OZ?

I doubt if any employer would employ without ensuring one has been properly assessed as qualified to practice by AIMS. Your thoughts regarding this as well as the option of eventually you settled for:- Diploma or self Directed study.

Your response would be very appreciated.

Hello Fellow Medical Scientists!

I am also new to this forum and a las! i found a good way to ask about questions regarding AIMS exams. I'm planning to take this exam this next year and I hope you can provide or give us some knowledge of what books to read or any other pointers for the Examination.

I would gladly appreciate for any info you can give me or any handouts or any review books I can use, please I am desperate for this exam and to pass it, please help anyone! :(

Please message me with details

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! GODBLESS!!

Edited by verystormy
    email addresses removed as per forum rules

ADDITIONAL ON MY LAST POST, anyone can help which of these is best to focus on? I will read all of them anyway

Recommended Reading List

Any edition of the texts below from the last 10 years would be suitable

Manual of Clinical Microbiology. 10th Ed.

James Versalovic Editor in Chief 2011

American Society for Microbiology.

Practical Haematology. 6th Ed.

Dacie and Lewis

Churchill Livingstone.

Medical Laboratory Haematology

Hall and Malia

Butterworths.

Technical Manual. 10th Ed.

American Association of Blood Banks.

Textbook of Diagnostic Cytology

The New South Wales Institute of Technology Information and Publications unit.

Cellular Pathology 2

nd

Ed.

Cook,D.J 2006

Scion Publishing

Difiores Atlas of Histology with functional correlations 10

th

Edition

Eroschenko,V.A 2005

Lippincott

The Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry

Tietz, Saunders

Saunders

Clinical Chemistry

Kaplan

Mosby

-

Williams Publishers.

Essential Guide to

blood groups

Daniels and Bromilow

Wiley

AIMS Exam

These are the books that I studied for the exam.

***Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarreau (it is summarized but I find lacking in Blood bank and Clinical chem)

For Blood bank transfusion and Clinical chemistry, I supplemented it with:

*** Success! Clinical Laboratory science by Ciulla

***Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory science by Hubbard

I did not read the whole Ciulla and Hubbard book, just the sections on Clinical chemistry and Blood transfusion. As for the histology part, I just searched the internet about the basics on histology and what you need to know as a med lab scientist.

1. Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach - Patsy Jarreau (Author)http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Review-Approach/dp/0967043425/ref=pd_sim_b_2

2. Quick Review Cards for Clinical Laboratory Science Examinations [Cards] Valerie Dietz Polansky MEd MLS (ASCP)http://www.amazon.com/Review-Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Examinations/dp/0803604599/ref=pd_sim_b_2

The few that I can remember.

- Calculate the anion gap (formula not given)

- what is dry chemistry?

- define esbl, mdr-tb, mrsa

- what to do when automated analyzer gives platelet result of 30?

- stain used to demonstrate following; mucin; fungi; elastin fibres

Chem

External QC and purpose

Acromegaly

Tests for coeliac disease

Anion gap calculation

Causes of increased potassium preanalytical

Causes of hypercalcemia

Steps or studies taken before a new assay is introduced in the lab - 4 freaking points

Interpretation of swear electrolytes

Hema

Types of hemolytic anemia

Interpretation of indices

Schillings test

Retticulocyte ct and purpose

Erroneous CBC result from analyzer

Conditions seen with burr cells stomatocyte elliptocyte target cells

Micro

Dermatophytes

Hemolysis of bacteria

Color of colony in different media

Causative agents of diseases

Betalactamase meaning and purpose inbacterioa

Mic

Temperature requirements of bacteria

Histopath

Types of connective tissues and epithelial tissues

Stain for myelin melanin iron glycogen

Pas stains

Other cytological stain

Fixatives

Giemsa stain coomponents

Bb

Storage temp of red cells

Selection of donor blood for cross matching - given yung census ng blood na pagpipilian

Factors affecting at ab reaction

Labeling of sample for crossmatch

Explain kung piano magkakaroon ng offspring na o hung parents na a

Computer crossmatch

1. major & minor physiological variations in chemistry

2. tubes for glucose including timings

3. myeloproliferative diseases

4. Anti a1 vs Anti A2

5. Vit B12 def vs others

6. o-cresolphthalein-chem

7. bromcresyl green-chem

8. AGAP formula

9. G6PD

10. crossmatching(donors)

11.meaning of crossmatch and keep

12. fixatives

13. synthetic dyes

14. cell lines the esophagus

15. fixatives for cervical smears

16. sensitivity and specificity

17. stains for M tb

18. Gram stain of G. vaginalis

19. optochin, bacitracin, novobiocin

20. universal recipient

21. sample for xmatching labelling

22. sweat chloride

23. d dimer

24. morphological abnormalities w ass dses

25. microorganisms growth colors in the plates

Quote:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]Originally Posted by mmsmallick A5376137-DF7C-49A0-BA6C-6BF44B2088BE@mobilenotes.apple.com

Thank you for your reply,

My bachelor in Microbiology and Maters in Biomedical Laboratory sceinces from UK. I would appreciate if you could mention some names of books that are good for preperation for exam! What about Medical laboratory Sceince review by Robert R. Harr?

Muddas

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

REVIEW

**Harr, R.R. (2006). Clinical Laboratory Science Review (3rd ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.

ISBN: 978-0803613737

**Hubbard, J.D. (2009). A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science (2nd ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN: 978-0781782029

**Jarreau, P. (2011). Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach. (4th ed.) Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) Foundation.ISBN: 978-096704342510

**McPherson, R.A., & Pincus, M.R. (Eds.). (2011). Henry=s Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods (22nd ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier. ISBN: 978-1437709742

** Wu, A. (2006). Tietz Clinical Guide

Mostly Harr book and my review notes from School

Regards

Kirsty

I am new to this forum.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very helpful. I hope to sit the exam in September and feel I have limited time to prepare- less than three months. You mentioned using IBMS books. Are they sufficient and which ones did you find very useful. I am a Biomedical Scientist, with Haematology and Clinical Chemistry background. Does that mean I don"t have to buy the recommended books?

Please help specific strategies/ tips on how you are able to pull together the different courses together..

• Like 1

Hello all,

I would like to apologise for posting this without prior explanation on why I posted this. This is based on an extensive research on this site as well as another site. My goal is that it provides a platform to refer and also to boost our confidence as we all prepare and hope for the best.

The summary of my research is that we:

Get the exam question posted on AiMS website and try and answer the questions as much as possible. This will force us to go through the materials.

If possible have a study partner, probably that specialises in another subject area, so you can compare notes.

Try and answer questions posted by previous successful candidates and possibly follow their study plan . Although I am yet to develop a strategy that suits me.

Three textbooks I have posted kept showing up, I thought it might be a good idea to explore. I strongly believe we are all have have different background, experience and therefore strength. We should maximise this to your advantage, bearing in mind that we are only expected to score 50% in total form each subject area.

Please keep posting your thoughts and tips.

I look forward to hearing from successful candidates who should take it upon themselves to share their success strategies with the sole aim to strengthening or professional presence in OZ.

I hope this is helpful.

AIMS Exam

These are the books that I studied for the exam.

***Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarreau (it is summarized but I find lacking in Blood bank and Clinical chem)

For Blood bank transfusion and Clinical chemistry, I supplemented it with:

*** Success! Clinical Laboratory science by Ciulla

***Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory science by Hubbard

I did not read the whole Ciulla and Hubbard book, just the sections on Clinical chemistry and Blood transfusion. As for the histology part, I just searched the internet about the basics on histology and what you need to know as a med lab scientist.

1. Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach - Patsy Jarreau (Author)http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Review-Approach/dp/0967043425/ref=pd_sim_b_2

2. Quick Review Cards for Clinical Laboratory Science Examinations [Cards] Valerie Dietz Polansky MEd MLS (ASCP)http://www.amazon.com/Review-Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Examinations/dp/0803604599/ref=pd_sim_b_2

The few that I can remember.

- Calculate the anion gap (formula not given)

- what is dry chemistry?

- define esbl, mdr-tb, mrsa

- what to do when automated analyzer gives platelet result of 30?

- stain used to demonstrate following; mucin; fungi; elastin fibres

Chem

External QC and purpose

Acromegaly

Tests for coeliac disease

Anion gap calculation

Causes of increased potassium preanalytical

Causes of hypercalcemia

Steps or studies taken before a new assay is introduced in the lab - 4 freaking points

Interpretation of swear electrolytes

Hema

Types of hemolytic anemia

Interpretation of indices

Schillings test

Retticulocyte ct and purpose

Erroneous CBC result from analyzer

Conditions seen with burr cells stomatocyte elliptocyte target cells

Micro

Dermatophytes

Hemolysis of bacteria

Color of colony in different media

Causative agents of diseases

Betalactamase meaning and purpose inbacterioa

Mic

Temperature requirements of bacteria

Histopath

Types of connective tissues and epithelial tissues

Stain for myelin melanin iron glycogen

Pas stains

Other cytological stain

Fixatives

Giemsa stain coomponents

Bb

Storage temp of red cells

Selection of donor blood for cross matching - given yung census ng blood na pagpipilian

Factors affecting at ab reaction

Labeling of sample for crossmatch

Explain kung piano magkakaroon ng offspring na o hung parents na a

Computer crossmatch

1. major & minor physiological variations in chemistry

2. tubes for glucose including timings

3. myeloproliferative diseases

4. Anti a1 vs Anti A2

5. Vit B12 def vs others

6. o-cresolphthalein-chem

7. bromcresyl green-chem

8. AGAP formula

9. G6PD

10. crossmatching(donors)

11.meaning of crossmatch and keep

12. fixatives

13. synthetic dyes

14. cell lines the esophagus

15. fixatives for cervical smears

16. sensitivity and specificity

17. stains for M tb

18. Gram stain of G. vaginalis

19. optochin, bacitracin, novobiocin

20. universal recipient

21. sample for xmatching labelling

22. sweat chloride

23. d dimer

24. morphological abnormalities w ass dses

25. microorganisms growth colors in the plates

Quote:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]Originally Posted by mmsmallick A5376137-DF7C-49A0-BA6C-6BF44B2088BE@mobilenotes.apple.com

Thank you for your reply,

My bachelor in Microbiology and Maters in Biomedical Laboratory sceinces from UK. I would appreciate if you could mention some names of books that are good for preperation for exam! What about Medical laboratory Sceince review by Robert R. Harr?

Muddas[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

REVIEW

**Harr, R.R. (2006). Clinical Laboratory Science Review (3rd ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.

ISBN: 978-0803613737

**Hubbard, J.D. (2009). A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science (2nd ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN: 978-0781782029

**Jarreau, P. (2011). Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach. (4th ed.) Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) Foundation.ISBN: 978-096704342510

**McPherson, R.A., & Pincus, M.R. (Eds.). (2011). Henry=s Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods (22nd ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier. ISBN: 978-1437709742

** Wu, A. (2006). Tietz Clinical Guide

Mostly Harr book and my review notes from School

Regards

Kirsty

I am new to this forum.