Midwife and Electrician hoping to head to Perth within one year

Guest alanjuliecole

Stick your car in your crate and pay the duty on it. it is still cheaper than buying another in OZ. have you seen the prices of cars over there!! Check this link.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10983934&keywords=&trecs=537&__sid=1323E151C2B9&__Ns

Our (I know..Thats what i said! WHAT THE F***!! LOL! In UK thats 20k max.) Friends have just taken there Volvo 4x4 on 05 plate. From memory you must have owned it for more than 12 months and it must be steam cleaned tyres wrapped etc. Then when it arrives at dock they value it in OZ dollar and you pay a tax on it 10% of value i think.

Cars are very expensive over there and every thing has massive mileage on it as you would expect.

Im taking mine defo. I think if you take more than one then it might start getting pricey.

Hope this helps

Dave (Cozzy)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alanjuliecole

Thanks Dave

After I wrote that post I looked at the price (and condition!) of cars available in Oz - think I will look into taking our Honda over with us. We have a 2006 Honda Civic Diesel which I love dearly and will be paid off soon. Think if possible it would be best to take it with us unless the costs are prohibitive. I hear there are sometimes issues re: emissions, but ours has pretty low emissions anyway.

Also heard some people talk about speedometers having to be in km. Ours is digital so I'm pretty sure by reading the handbook we could probably change it.:biggrin:

Guest alanjuliecole

Found the following post from a fellow forum member who seems to have some knowledge re: transporting your car to Oz.

"We imported a car about 5 years ago. just after the customs and import laws changed as part of the GST ( Oz version of VAT).

if you have a work visa for Oz, you can import the car on a temporary basis. You Must take the car with you when your Visa expires and you leave. If you import it on a work visa you cannot sell it in Oz. You have to pay a customs and excise tax when you bring it in to the country, (which you get refunded when you export the car out of OZ.). Another way to bring it in on a temporary basis is through a Carnet ( the AA and RAC can help you with that )

If you later become a resident you have to "register" the car in your State. Once registered you can sell it any time you want. Note that to register it you have to jump through lots of silly hoops with the RTA ( road traffic Authority) .

You need to find someone at the RTA who has done it before as 99% of the people there havn't a clue how to do it or whats involved.

You have to have a compliance plate fitted. ( ie pay a garage to inspect the car and do any remdial work). Our BMW didnt need anything doing. You have to have it weighed at a special government approved garage ( go figure....), and you need to have an Austrailan valuation. The valuation is needed so they can work out the GST and stamp duty you have to pay. The "valuation" for customs and excise in this case is market value minus expenses to bring the car over (insurance, shipping etc). Find a friendly valuation guy. Even though you didn't buy the car in Oz you then have to pay GST. ( 10% of the value).

You have to have owned your car for over 12 months ( i think thats the time period) before you import it otherwise its classed more like a business import than a private import and taxes increase.

Allow at least a week in Oz while you drive around from RTA office to garages to sort out all the silly paperwork. All the above relates to NSW. Other states will probably have different rules. The worst part of importing a car is that you have to deal with the Customs and excise who are a national government body, and your state based roads and traffic authority. Neither know what the requirements are for the other. So theres a lot of going back and forth between the two until both are happy that the other is happy.

The customs websites have lots of information. Theres too much and its conflicting in places. I found it best to read it , then phone up Customs , at least 2 or 3 times to ask the same questions to see if i got the same answers ( i didnt 5 years ago as the laws had just changed...it might be clearer now)".

and also this this link looks helpful

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/news/574/general-australian-news/importing-a-car-to-australia/

Guest alanjuliecole

Have just contacted a shipping company for a quote re: shipping our car. Will try to find out a bit more about the additional costs involved, as we would really love to take our car with us. Given that I expect it to be difficult to secure finance in Oz initially as will have no credit record, I'd rather have our car with us that we own and could get a couple of years out of. I think it would be much more expensive to try and buy an equivalent in Oz anyway.

Hi Julie, Found this on another post, all the info you need re; Car imports (Great post, Gezzer should be awarded a medal for it!! Bit lacking in info though i found :biglaugh:). Plus i will be able to get it from the horses mouth in a couple of weeks when my mates crate reaches Perth. They've been there 5 Days now lucky sods....Im not jealous though! Heres the link; http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transp...need-know.html

Dave (Cozzy)

Guest alanjuliecole

Thanks Cozzy, I'll take a look. Let us know how it works out for your mate shipping his car. I'm not jealous at all :nah:- just over 320 days until we plan to get there!!!:sad:LOL. x Julie

Guest alanjuliecole

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia have just issued a press release with regards to the English Language testing

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/News/2011-08-29-New-English-Language-Skills-Registration-Standard.aspx

Apparently if you can prove your degree and at least 2 more years of your education were taught and assessed in English, you will be exempt from the English test and the £115 fee that goes with it!!! xx Julie

Guest alanjuliecole

Have just emailed Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia to clarify that I can indeed rip up my IELTS application form. They ask for 5 years proof of education (inc degree) being taught and assessed in English. Now as a "mature" student who had a large gap between high schooling and return to education - my degree plus my one year of HNC to get access to the degree only comes to 4. My high school could no doubt provide me with a letter confirming the same, however that would be from 1997 and not give me 5 years continuous as I worked from leaving high school to returning to education 2005. Have emailed them to check they are happy with this before burning my £115 cheque LOL!

Unfortunately its to late for me, my cheque for my IELTS has been cashed and don't think I'll get a refund at this late stage. I have a degree and a masters so would have probably been ok grrr.......... Thanks for letting me know anyway. We too we're thinking of shipping my hubbys car but it looks complicated and there is enough stress associated with this as it is! Sure it will be worth it when we get there x

By the way Julie, in regards to credit history re; Loans etc we was told to open an Aussie bank account asap (Which we did 2 years ago) that way when you do get there you have a banking history and it helps. You dont have to have loads in there just have the account. We chose WestPac and had to go up to the head office in London to open it which was a bit of a pain but glad we bothered now. If you got a year yet might be worth doing.

Regards Dave

Guest alanjuliecole

Thanks Cozzy, good tip thanks. I assume the NAB one is no good, because you don't receive a card etc until you arrive in Oz and your identity is verified. I work in London so could maybe could pop into Westpac. Can the account be opened online at all and then I can go in with ID to the London branch to verify everything? Will have a look into it xx Julie

Guest alanjuliecole

Have made a little list of the basic "to do" list before it comes to actually submitting the VISA application. I have sent out some speculative emails to the maternity units in Perth, and will wait to see what they say. The only other thing not on our list is to open an Australian bank account, organise shipping the car and of course the sale of our house!! Will wait until the VISA is approved before I organise these!

Anyway - below is our list. Feel free to add any comments or correct me and importantly let me know if I have omitted any important steps!!!

To prove English Language Competency

1. Request letter from GCU confirming that my 3 year degree was taught and assessed in English.
  2. Request letter from Cardonald College confirming that my 1 year HNC in Social Science was taught and assessed in English.
  3. Request letter if required from Boclair Academy confirming that my secondary education 1992-1997 was taught and assessed in English.
  4. Await response from Nursing and Midwifery Board re: whether they require evidence from my secondary education.

To request transfer of midwifery registration

1. Have documents certified : marriage certificate, passport, copy of my pin, copy of my degree certificate, training transcript from GCU.
  2. Have Statement of Service done on Hillingdon Hospital letterhead and signed by a Manager. Must include: the role which I am employed in and confirm this is full-time.
  3. Print CV and also additional CV detailing only practice history which has to be signed my a Manager stating “This Curriculum Vitae is true and correct as at (date)”. See requirements for CV (AHPRA).
  4. Enclose evidence of education being taught and assessed in English as above – certified copy acceptable.
  5. Complete and return NMC Verification pack £34
  6. Cost $450 ~ £295

For Alan to register as Electrician

1. Book 17th Edition test through Select = £174
  2. Complete white card application online $49
  3. Apply for skills assessment to ATRC
  4. Apply to Energy Safety WA for license
  5. Apply to sit for unrestricted license A.

Hi Julie, Yes im sure you could do that. The Westpac head office is in the city and from memory i think the trip up in person was for ID as you say. We both had to go so your OH will have to come with you.

Regards Dave

Yeah i think the account is'nt officially 'open' until you go up to the London office to confirm ID etc. I think we was only there an hour max.

Just spoke to my mate (10mins ago) who went last week.....He's sitting round the pool, its 26 degrees and he has'nt seen a cloud in the sky since he got there! They are struggling to find a long term rental in the right area though and they've only got another 2 weeks in the place their in.

They've found a school but got to find a home. Thats why we are calling them the 'Ginieua Pigs'!! LOL. (Make a note... Get long term rental sorted before arrival...Check! He found it a bit scary when they arrived but are settling down now. Keep you posted re; When their crate/car arrives.

Regards Dave

Guest alanjuliecole

Thanks Dave,

Wish I was sitting by the pool - I'm cuddled up on the couch with a warm cover nursing the beginnings of a cold and the remnants of a hangover!! Roll on Perth!!!

Guest alanjuliecole

Well, trying really hard on a Sunday morning to get the ball rolling!!

Have emailed Glasgow Caledonian Uni and Cardonald College to request transcripts and separately a letter from each to confirm the course was taught and assessed in English. Off to email my secondary school now to do the same for my secondary education - if they can't supply this I will contact the exam board to see if they can confirm or maybe its the local Government - will start with the school and see where it goes from there!!!

Have requested a verification pack from the NMC for my AHPRA registration which I hear is a nightmare!!!

Just about to google where I can get a local Justice of the Peace to certify our documents:notworthy:.

Guest alanjuliecole

Have emailed the local council to make an appointment with a Justice of the Peace to certify our documents, and emailed my secondary school. Waiting on the NMC verification pack and will need the CV and Statement of Employment before I can send off the application to register. Apparently the going rate in terms of time is 3-4 months for this to complete.

I will do this whilst I'm waiting for responses from my speculative emails - hopefully will be able to get a sponsorship offer xx

Guest alanjuliecole

Have received a couple of responses from the spec emails I sent. Armadale are happy to sponsor me on a 457 visa, and have directed me to the WA Gov website and given me the reference of a post to apply for. Have completed the indicated application, and applied for another 2 whilst I was there. I will wait patiently!

Guest orlaandjoe

Hi Julie

Thought I'd say hi, my name is Orla. Me, my fiance and six year old son are moving over to WA in December (hopefully). I am a midwife and my OH is an electrician too! Best of luck with the job applications etc. and the big move!

Orla

Guest Laura&Steve

Hi,

I was just reading your reply as I am also an Electrician. Me my wife and one year old son are looking to emigrate to Perth in January, I have got my trade recognised through vetassess and as I understand I have to apply for a restricted license when I arrive. I was under the impression that you have to train for a full year before getting your A grade license, is this correct? if not did your husband sit his 2 week course straight away? and what did it involve?

Thanks

Steve and Laura

Guest alanjuliecole
Hi,I was just reading your reply as I am also an Electrician. Me my wife and one year old son are looking to emigrate to Perth in January, I have got my trade recognised through vetassess and as I understand I have to apply for a restricted license when I arrive. I was under the impression that you have to train for a full year before getting your A grade license, is this correct? if not did your husband sit his 2 week course straight away? and what did it involve?ThanksSteve and Laura
Hi Steve and Laura,Think Welshie would be the best person to answer this - they advised us!!! You have to be up to supervision for up to one year is my understanding. I think Welshie's hubby applied to Energy Safety WA when he arrived and was given a test to sit his Grade A license fairly quickly. We are in a different position, as I am the main applicant on the VISA hubby doesn't need the full skills assessment as we are not applying for the VISA on the strength of his qualification. He will apply for his trade recognition, then should be able to apply for a restricted license when he arrives and follow the same path as you.Keep in touch and let us know how you get on!! Hopefully all will work out xx Julie