UK electrician

Hodgey

I'm a qualified electrician in the UK and arriving in Perth in November. I'm on my partner's 457 and in the process of applying for my TRA (electrical mechanic) through ARTC. Would be grateful for any more advice on completing the application to get mechanic status and any contacts within the industry in Perth for jobs!! Thanks. Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 3musketeers

Hi hodgey

I have just received conformation of my visa grant on a 176 pr visa. I too will be looking for spark work and I have been told I will have a temp license to work with. I have read about gap training to get us up to speed with their qualifications but also been told you need a employer first to do that. Is this right? What is this TRA and company ARTC?

Where you looking at moving to? Suburbs? Are you sorting temp rental for when you land?

Be good toto hear from you

Hi all

We've been here for 2.5 years now so things may have changed but my hubby is a sparky and i'll list how he got his A license.

He applied and got his ARTC whilst we were in the UK (it must be sent to an address in Australia however)

Once we arrived in Perth, he contacted Energy Safety who gave him his restricted license which enabled him to work supervised,and permission to sit the 2 week Licensing course at Rockingham Tafe. (This gets booked us fast, he had to wait 4 weeks to get on the course)

Once he sat the course, and passed, he was then given his A grade License. So easy!

He now works in Karratha and loves it :)

Hi

It depends who the lead applicant is for your visa - my other half is the lead visa applicant for ours, so I am going down the TRA route. TRA is the Trades Recognition Australia and ARTC is Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. As far as i know, if you are the lead applicant you need to apply through Vetassess. I sent an email to energy licensing who were really good in providing me with the latest info and links to relevant forms.

Not really sure on areas to live to be honest. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about how hard it is to find a decent rental, so we are keeping an open mind on specific areas to live. My other half is arriving before me and has a short term let in Cottesloe, and we are going to take it from there. I will be arriving mid November. When are you looking to get there?

Thanks for the comments Welshie - how did your husband find his job once he got his licence sorted?

He's been lucky Hodgey, he started work 2 weeks after we landed after a recommendation from someone he knew. The company he is with employed him on his restricted license and made him permanent once he got his A grade. He's still with them, but is now FIFO 2 weeks away, 2 weeks at home. It's all about who you know in Perth, it can suck at times. I know a lot of unskilled people working up north earning top $ as they know one of the bosses there. Network as much as you can!

Hi

It depends who the lead applicant is for your visa - my other half is the lead visa applicant for ours, so I am going down the TRA route. TRA is the Trades Recognition Australia and ARTC is Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. As far as i know, if you are the lead applicant you need to apply through Vetassess. I sent an email to energy licensing who were really good in providing me with the latest info and links to relevant forms.

Not really sure on areas to live to be honest. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about how hard it is to find a decent rental, so we are keeping an open mind on specific areas to live. My other half is arriving before me and has a short term let in Cottesloe, and we are going to take it from there. I will be arriving mid November. When are you looking to get there?

Thanks for the comments Welshie - how did your husband find his job once he got his licence sorted?