Plumber/Heating, should i make the move to Perth??

Guest si69b

Hello

I've had my own company for 8 years and i want to make the move to Perth. When i've done the points score test to see if me & my family can make the move i get the 65 points to qualify for a visa. When i look at the qualifications needed to legally work as a plumber is where i'm struggling to understand whats required. I think that all my city & guilds, advanced plumbing & gas safe qualifications don't mean a thing in Australia. Can any plumbers/heating guys who have gone through the same process or are actually working in Perth can tell me what the costs are to get the relevant qualifications? Do i do these in the UK or when i get to Australia? Whats the time scale to get fully qualified?

Also whats the jobs situation like in Perth, is there plenty of work for plumbers?

Thanks in advance for any replies :biggrin:

Hello

I've had my own company for 8 years and i want to make the move to Perth. When i've done the points score test to see if me & my family can make the move i get the 65 points to qualify for a visa. When i look at the qualifications needed to legally work as a plumber is where i'm struggling to understand whats required. I think that all my city & guilds, advanced plumbing & gas safe qualifications don't mean a thing in Australia. Can any plumbers/heating guys who have gone through the same process or are actually working in Perth can tell me what the costs are to get the relevant qualifications? Do i do these in the UK or when i get to Australia? Whats the time scale to get fully qualified?

Also whats the jobs situation like in Perth, is there plenty of work for plumbers?

Thanks in advance for any replies :biggrin:

Hey,

Your plumbing qualifications don't amount to much here in Australia. You'll need to complete a skills assessment (its a 3 tier process, called Vetassess) at the beginning of your visa process to determine whether you're even eligible for a visa. Once you pass that and eventually arrive in Oz you'll need to complete a compulsory 2 week migrant plumbing course at TAFE. Only then will you be issued with a Tradespersons license that will allow you to work in the trade under the direction of Plumber who holds a contractors license. Getting the contractors license is a whole new story but only then will you be able to work for yourself. You will also not be gas qualified when you arrive so you'll need to redo your gas. Plumbing work was a bit flat last year (I'm in Perth) but its apparently going to be picking up this year. I'm currently looking for work in Perth after spending over a year up on the mines working as a poly welder. There is work around but employers but it can seem like a challenge for migrant plumbers. It definitely helps knowing someone in the industry.

Good luck with your decisions.

Paul

Hey,

Your plumbing qualifications don't amount to much here in Australia. You'll need to complete a skills assessment (its a 3 tier process, called Vetassess) at the beginning of your visa process to determine whether you're even eligible for a visa. Once you pass that and eventually arrive in Oz you'll need to complete a compulsory 2 week migrant plumbing course at TAFE. Only then will you be issued with a Tradespersons license that will allow you to work in the trade under the direction of Plumber who holds a contractors license. Getting the contractors license is a whole new story but only then will you be able to work for yourself. You will also not be gas qualified when you arrive so you'll need to redo your gas. Plumbing work was a bit flat last year (I'm in Perth) but its apparently going to be picking up this year. I'm currently looking for work in Perth after spending over a year up on the mines working as a poly welder. There is work around but employers but it can seem like a challenge for migrant plumbers. It definitely helps knowing someone in the industry.

Good luck with your decisions.

Thankyou for your reply, could you recommend any other areas in Australia that might be good for a migrating plumber & family?

Edited by si69b