Hi there!

My husband and I recently migrated to Perth and we’re looking to meet up with like minded folk. We’re 33 & 35, and living in South Freo. 

I’m Scottish, and the OH is Mancunian.

Both very much into our Indie music, love going to gigs, stand up comedy, social drinks and visiting restaurants. Checking out vintage stores and markets, as well as catching one of the very few Premier League games that aren’t at silly o’clock! 

Getting a bit obsessed with Netflix documentaries and need to get out the house haha. Get in touch if you fancy a catch up. 

Hi Midds,

Welcome to Freo.  Great spot.  Hope you're enjoying your time here so far.  

We're very much into the same things as you (music, markets, bars, film, etc) but have 15-20 years on you. I like to think of it as experience.

Whilst Perth probably has less on offer overall than the bigger UK cities what it does have is really accessible, particularly if you live around Freo. 

South Freo is a good place to be if you're into indie, drinks and restaurants. Comedy, not so much.  There's a bunch of musos live and hang out in and around South Freo including Tame Impala, John Butler, Methyl Ethel, Eskimo Joe, Pond, Felicity Groom so there are good gigs to be had but it can be a bit hit and miss.  It's more lots of small gigs in pubs and bars and the quality and atmosphere can vary a lot.I've been to some great ones and some really dead ones. 

There are bands from the UK that come across on a semi-regular basis.  I believe Primal Scream are playing the Metro in Freo soon and we're off to see Stiff little Fingers at The Rosemount in North Perth in Feb.  My son's been at Falls Festival this weekend and apparently that's been pretty good - Fleet Foxes, Liam Gallagher, Glass Animals, The Kooks plus lots of young Aussie bands who my offspring assures me are apparently pretty good.  There are also a few UK acts playing the Chevron Gardens as part of the Perth Festival (Mogwai, Avalanches, The Staves, Dizee Rascal) in Jan/Feb as well.  Venues to check out around Freo for decent small gigs would include the Newport, Fly By Night Club, Clancys, Mojos (North Freo) and Rodneys (Mosman Park).

The Perth Fringe is coming up in a couple of weeks and there's comedy to be seen there but it's up and coming stuff rather than big names. We're off to see Jeff Green who's probably the biggest UK name playing the Fringe this year (see what I mean) but I think Jimmy Carr is doing a gig outside of the Fringe sometime soon.

As for bars and restaurants lots of good bars in Freo and some pretty good restaurants down South Freo way (check out Copper Chimney and Saroors if you like Indian).  Also some good ones in North Freo close to where we live which is worth a go if you fancy an alternative.

The best market in town is probably Perth Upmarket at UWA whenever that happens next. It typically happens once every 3 months and the last one was just before Xmas  so it's probably a while before the next one.   That one's a good day out though and has some pretty good stuff.  If you want an example of the sort of stall they have there pop into Mokoh (shameless plug) on South Terrace as Trudy and Andy who run the place are old friends of ours and they used to do Perth Upmarket whenever it was on.

Another good thing to do in Perth if you're a culture vulture is outdoor cinema. There's a really good one in Mosman Park called Camelot (http://camelot.lunapalace.com.au) and it's got a bar so it's a good evening out meeting up early, having a couple of beers and watching a quality film (hopefully) under the stars.  

Alternatively,  I've got a mate who sings (and I use the word advisedly) in a band that plays in an open-mike evening every Thursday at Moondyne Joe's in South Freo so I often pop in and laugh at him.  I wouldn't advise this as an evening out in its own right as it's all a bit Twin Peaks and we'd probably double the size of the audience if we went. However,  if you wanted to meet up for a beer and a chat, in between the dancing dwarf acts,  then it serves well enough.

We're down in Margaret River for most of next week but will be back the week after if you fancy meeting up. Send us a message if you're up for it.

Cheers

Baggy

On 06/01/2018 at 22:10, Midds17 said:

Hi there!

My husband and I recently migrated to Perth and we’re looking to meet up with like minded folk. We’re 33 & 35, and living in South Freo. 

I’m Scottish, and the OH is Mancunian.

Both very much into our Indie music, love going to gigs, stand up comedy, social drinks and visiting restaurants. Checking out vintage stores and markets, as well as catching one of the very few Premier League games that aren’t at silly o’clock! 

Getting a bit obsessed with Netflix documentaries and need to get out the house haha. Get in touch if you fancy a catch up. 

Hey mate

I'm 37 from Yorkshire and my wife is 34 from NSW.  We live in Hilton and are fans of pretty much the same things as you.

Give me a shout if you fancy catching up.

:)