Tiling Jobs in Perth

Guest Kairenjx

Guest Kairenjx

Hi Everyone

I will be moving with my partner who is a tiler to Perth in February 2011 and would be grateful if anyone could provide any information on the availibilty of tiling jobs out there?

Would be great to hear from a fellow tiler who may already be in Perth, any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

Kairen x :smiloe:

Guest Northampton-poms

Hi, I would also be interested in tiling work in perth, but have only just started our visa process.

How did you get on with getting a visa as a tiler just out of interest?

Thanks

Guest Kairenjx

Hi,

We were quite lucky we started the full process as in skills test, etc when we arrived back from a holiday in OZ in February of this year, our visa was lodged in May when the critical skills list was still in place and we had our permanent residence visa by August. So in all it took 6 months from start to finish which I think is pretty quick compared to most recently. I think we were lucky that my partner is a tiler as they were one of a very few trades on the CSL, I'm not sure how it will work now though that the list is scrapped but I'm sure they will still be in need of tilers in Perth.

Are you using an agent for the application process?

Kairen :smile:

Guest Northampton-poms

That was quick, we are going to use an agent yes but still looking as I've contacted a couple and finding it hard to make a decision, any pointers? I have only just had paper work through this week for my skills assessment and getting all the relevant paper work together is also proving hard as they want 4 years of proof and I've chucked most of my paper work like a fool!!! Going to a emergration show at the week end so maybe get some info there.

Guest Kairenjx

Well as we live in Glasgow we used an agent in Edinburgh Overseas Emigration but I'm sure you can use them from wherever you live in the country, they have a website just type into google. I must say they were great! So helpful. Originally my partner set out to do the skills assessment himself but like you said it's quite difficult gathering all the paper work, etc and we found ourselves wondering whether or not we were sending the correct info so that's when we registered with an agent and they took care of it all. They have a dedicated skills assessment team and they told us exactly what was needed for example paper qualifications, they then sent over templates detailing exactly what tiling involves etc and we added in our own parts. So much easier! At least you have piece of mind and someone checking over all paper work before it's sent to be assessed and it was all included within our agents fees.

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Guest Freojonny

Hi

I worked as a tiler here in Perth for a few years. If you are confident in your trade, the best thing you can do is place an advert in the local paper tradesman section. Trust me you will be flooded with responses, especially if you are prepared to do the smaller jobs. The homeowners are usually surprised a tradesman even turns up to quote!!

I found I made a very good living whilst I was working for myself. There are some large contract tiling companies working for them can be tough, not as well paid and involves travelling long distance to sites.

Make sure you bring all your tools with you ... no point buying them twice.

Get yourself a ute / van when you arrive, register for trade accounts at the local tile centres, place your advert and away you go.

It sounds very easy, and really it is, if your not fully booked within a month of your first advert I would be very surprised. I probably turned away as many jobs as I took.

If you need any more advice please contact me here.

Cheers

Jon

Guest Kairenjx

Thanks for the response John :smile:

I will pass on the information to my partner and no doubt he will have some questions that you could maybe advise on. He would take all work offered to him I think as he works non stop here!

Guest The Newlands

Hi Jon, thanks for that post. Im also coming to Perth as a tiler, iv been self employed in uk for bout 10 yrs now, but was informed I could'nt go self employed in oz untill i have a licence which can take upto 2 yrs to get. Also did u have to do the AQF111 to get your visa? Did u get state sponsor or employer sponsor? Any more advice or tips much appreciated.

Cheers

John

www.newlandceramic.co.uk

Guest Freojonny

It was a bit different for me, I was allready a citizen when I returned to the tiling profession over here. As part of the visa conditions you may have to be employed by a registered tiling company to qualify your visa.

I suggest you clarify this with your agent.

Cheers

Jon

• 7 months later...
Guest jasonmchugh
Hi

I worked as a tiler here in Perth for a few years. If you are confident in your trade, the best thing you can do is place an advert in the local paper tradesman section. Trust me you will be flooded with responses, especially if you are prepared to do the smaller jobs. The homeowners are usually surprised a tradesman even turns up to quote!!

I found I made a very good living whilst I was working for myself. There are some large contract tiling companies working for them can be tough, not as well paid and involves travelling long distance to sites.

Make sure you bring all your tools with you ... no point buying them twice.

Get yourself a ute / van when you arrive, register for trade accounts at the local tile centres, place your advert and away you go.

It sounds very easy, and really it is, if your not fully booked within a month of your first advert I would be very surprised. I probably turned away as many jobs as I took.

If you need any more advice please contact me here.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

i have been in perth since sept 2010 doing tiling. once i arrived i put an ad in the paper and started tiling just after xmas 2011. everything was going gr8 and most of my jobs are now word of mouth, i win nearly every job i quote for so i know my pricing is right and word of mouth helps a lot too.

problem is there just doesn't seem to be enough work going, im am spending a fair bit on advertising and speaking to other tiling firms whom all say that work is slow at the moment.

i really dont want to be one of those that constantly say 'work is slow" coz i beleive its there to find. i just cannot seem to find enough of it though? i get work for 1 week and then nothing for the next, which is really difficult finacially.

do you have any contacts for work that i could maybe follow up? i would very pleased for any help you can offer.

cheers

jason

• 1 month later...