Moved here from Houston, Texas

Guest clpsonoma@yahoo.com

Hello,

I've been here a short time and found it to be quite slow pace. I had to adjust to everything that I use to feel comfortable, especially Shopping, since Houston is the shopping capitol of the world. Honestly, it does have great shopping. But i now have found the malls and good food stores and speciality stores too are all here in Perth. I still feel like a bit of a foriegner. And the accent took me a while to understand, but now I don't even notice it.

I am still trying to figure out what to do on the weekends around Northern Perth. Everyone closes up stores and shops early and stays at home and BBQ's and watches TV... Any suggestions.

Cheers,

Constance

Guest tal411

Hi,

My family is planning to move to Perth from San Antonio, TX. We are now going through the 457 company sponsored visa process. Do you have any advise you can share with a fellow Texas family.

Hi Fellow Texan,

In the Visa process everything takes time. You have to give them all the correct information and not leave anything out on the form. We applied and had to reapply after 3 months. So I does take time. It's worth the wait because Perth is wonderful! I have been enjoying all that there is to see. Will you be moving with children? That's what held up things for us, be had to wait until the semester ended at school and some of the things answered on the form where not correct so we had to reapply.

Will you be wanting to move with all of your belongings? Are you shipping a container? I would be careful on shipping breakables.

I love San Antonio. You'll find that Perth has more to offer in areas to settle. And the weather will be delightful compared to Texas. You'll find that the heat is very similiar to your area but more dry and yet we get a breeze from the ocean to cool things down.

Suggestions

I would have brought all my vitamins with me on the flight because I couldn't buy them here. But they do have everything, it just not the same brands and it's just a matter of finding it.

Cheers,

Constance

Guest Flyer2099

Hey Constance,

I am new to Perth and moved from Houston as well. I don't think I'll ever get used to lack of big city conveniences such as 24 hour places. I have found meeting new people slow going. Perth seems to be perfect for families, but a bit harder for singles. Let me know if you want to grab a drink sometime. I'm in the CBD so there are some good venues to check out. Always good to know more people, especially someone who can relate.

John

John

Guest tal411

Yes...my company will be providing a 20' shipping container. So much to do...sell cars..cell phones...no Sprint in Perth!! I cant bring my gun (Texas...you know we all have guns

:) and the dogs!!! Can u ship a US car over??

You can ship anything...that you can fit in the 20 foot container and it doesn't hold much and the car is not recommended because we all have a right hand steering wheel. You will have to learn how to drive over here which will take about 2 months to feel comfortable. The train is awesome and you can get around that way too.

"Everyone closes up stores and shops early and stays at home and BBQ's and watches TV".

i think this is a rather narrow perception of life in Perth. We rarely watch TV. Weekends with kids usually involve sport - watching them play soccer/T ball/ netball/footie/cricket/ hockey/ little athletics. Footies season just started and many families would have gone to watch the match this afternoon in Subi. We went to the caravan and camping show in Claremont then bought fish and chips and had them on the beach at the sculpture exhibition in Cottesloe. Many kids have dance/drama lessons or rehearsals at weekends. We often go to the Farmer's market. Kids birthday parties often take up Saturday afternoons. We like going to the movies and the outdoor ones are on at the moment - lots of suitable ones for kids. we put the bikes on the back of the car and go for a bike ride, we like the beach. Many kids do surf life saving, there is surf lessons at Trig. Often go to friends on a Saturday night for shared dinner. Sundays we often go somewhere for the day in and around Perth - look in the Saturday TV guide to see what is on. Sunday night homework etc. Usual stuff centred around the family, being outdoors, having fun - shopping and TV don't come into it.

Hello,

I've been here a short time and found it to be quite slow pace. I had to adjust to everything that I use to feel comfortable, especially Shopping, since Houston is the shopping capitol of the world. Honestly, it does have great shopping. But i now have found the malls and good food stores and speciality stores too are all here in Perth. I still feel like a bit of a foriegner. And the accent took me a while to understand, but now I don't even notice it.

I am still trying to figure out what to do on the weekends around Northern Perth. Everyone closes up stores and shops early and stays at home and BBQ's and watches TV... Any suggestions.

Cheers,

Constance

That because its all about working hard and playing hard.

If you think your hard done by just come and live where I live, 2 hours NE of Perth.

I would gladly swap you, but I have to stay at least a year, but when we do have free week- ends we go to Perth as we love it.

Were at the Belle House across the river from the CBD having lunch. Go take the ferry and have a wander round.

A beautiful, but expenive area, but great.

Me, if I was single would just love it.

Should have gone to Subiaco and watch the Eagles against the Dockers?

Or cycle along the river, so buy yourself a bike?

Or join a club of some sort ie running, training, ect.

Or go do some charity work.

Or go to Rock Nest Island??

Or Margret River, Denmark, Albany, etc?

Or a singles club.

So much to do, just go out there and do it.:jiggy:

And hopefully this site will help you meet people.

All that is needed is effort.

Enjoy Perth.