Shri Vidhya

Hello there,

Im a recent joinee to this forum. I plan to visit Perth shortly under my PR and want to know how much money should i be equipped with initially till i land in a job ? I plan to come and scout for work opportunities and shall be traveling alone . Can anyone please provide me an indication of how much money to carry , assuming that i dont land in a job for a min term of 2-3 months. I am open to living in budget accomodations. Any advice shall be greatly received as I would like to plan my finance based on your valuable inputs. Shrividhya

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there,

Im a recent joinee to this forum. I plan to visit Perth shortly under my PR and want to know how much money should i be equipped with initially till i land in a job ? I plan to come and scout for work opportunities and shall be traveling alone . Can anyone please provide me an indication of how much money to carry , assuming that i dont land in a job for a min term of 2-3 months. I am open to living in budget accomodations. Any advice shall be greatly received as I would like to plan my finance based on your valuable inputs. Shrividhya

Hi,

Good question

I am also planning to travel to WA in June on PR. I ill be travelling with my Husband and two kids. We will be looking for jobs right after but i am not sure how much cash should we have in hand atleast for a couple of months till we land a job.

Hi, I can help out, but it all depends on where you live, and what you do.

I live south of Perth, so renting was lower, but a breakdown for two of us was as follows

Cars - We brought two, and paid $2400 each. One was a Ford Falcon, and the other a volvo 240. Both in excellent condition. Cars can be expensive here, but use gumtree / ebay, and you can find good cars. They come with 3rd party insurance as part of the car tax (rego) so you don't have to take out any further insurance initially

Rent

We paid $360 per week for a three bed house. In Perth itself you can pay alot more. That includes rates

Electricity $15/week. That is low, but we were really careful, no aircon during summer, turning everything off at night.

Gas $15/wee, again we were careful.

Deposit is typically one months rent, so $1500.

You will struggle to find a rental initially, until you have a job, even if you have money to pay the rent, people are keen on seeing an empolyment record. Even with a job it too 4 weeks to find a rental. So budget for some more expensive accomodation while your looking.

Internet; We got a mobile wifi device and used that for basic stuff like email / facebook etc. Around $30/month for that.

Mobile phones. We got one on contract with I think 5 hours international calls per month included. Using our existing phone that was $40/month

Petrol. It costs around $1.40/litre here, so cheaper than UK.

Cigarettes; If you smoke, then you will pay. They are around $25/packet of 20 - ouch!!!!

Alcohol; If you drink beer then its around $40/case. Local aussie wine is great, and from $3/bottle upwards.

Food; This can be either really expensive of OK. Really expensive means living like the UK, buying what you want and processed food. Anything imported here is expensive, so if you must have heinz baked beans, and ready made lasagne then its alot. Buy whats in season out here, and cook your own means from ingredients, and its not too bad. We still however would spend $200/week for two of us, and setting up again from scratch is expensive, so budget say $500 to stock up initially.

Thats about the minimum. If you want to eat out, then budget $30/head without wine etc, up to $50. Macca's meal is around $7.

You can add health insurance etc, but we've relied on medicare, and so far they've been great.

You can pick and choose from that and get an idea.

We've been here since last August, and love it, so don't be put off

Nick / Lynn

Just noticed some of you are along. For a room in a house you can pay $150-200 per week.

Edited by Nic964

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vidya, I would suggest not less than AUD 10,000 (Excluding your airfare). It is important to have peace of mind while looking out for job and it may take 2 -4 months to get a job. I have also sent you a private message with some more details as we have been to perth recently and did some study on things.