were going for it

Guest julie and chad

Guest julie and chad

Hi we are new to this my husband is a painter and decorator and this skill has just entered the high demand list so we have just started the process but need lots of advice on areas in perth to buy were the work is good and house prices reasonable we are a young family the eldest ia 16 the youngest 6 mths ages in between are 3 10 and 12 so family area would be good HELP!!!!:oAny advice would be really appreciated...

Hi Julie and Chad

Glad you've decided to go for it!

My husband is also a Painter and Decorator. Passed TRA in Feb 07 and gained sponsorship from the W.A government july 07. Visa has been sent - now we are just waiting!

We have decided to settle in Mandurah, which is South of Perth, about 45mins drive. It seems to be an up and coming area and houses seem fairly reasonable. I have relatives in Perth, one of which is a Painter - says there is lots of work available.

Have you passed the TRA - if not we have loads of info that could help you, draft references etc, if your interested let us know.

Good Luck

Emma and Andy

Guest julie and chad

Hi it is really reassuring to know that they dont just say they want painter and decorators then you get there and there is no work i was really worried about that, We have literally just got the forms from the agency through but it is costing £3.500 through the agency did you use an agency ?I thought we might struggle as Chad has been painting and decorating for about 17 years but some of the time he has been in other jobs also apart from last year as he is now self employed doing painting ,I was also bit worried as though he is very good and the same clients use him over and over he hasnt actually got any certificates so how does that effect the assesment ?the agency says it doesnt matter .....I am also worried about the usual mum things schools sun cream spiders etc haha :)have you got children ? mine r 6mths 3,10,12 and 16 although me and chad r only 33 and 35 so would like an area that is up and coming was really shocked looked on realestate.com.au last night and queensland was coming up cheaper than perth any advice would be gratefully recieved....Thanks again Julie

Hi Julie

We have gone through a agent - Global Visas - they have been brilliant, especially while we were going through the TRA assessment. Andy also has no official qualifications, was just

taught on the job after he left school. This can make the TRA a bit daunting to begin with, but stick with it! They want to know everything in detail, down to what sort of sand paper they use! Global visas were great at this point, went up to their offices in London and they basically told us the sort of things the TRA want to hear!

Is the £3500 the fee for just the agent or does this include the costs to the department of immigration etc? Our fee to our agent was £1500 paid in 3 installments, this does not include other costs though.

We have two children, Lauren is 10 and megan is 8. I lived in Perth with my parents for 4 years between the ages of 11 - 15. It is a fantastic lifestyle for kids, and one of the main reasons we want to emigrate. Don't ever remember seeing many spiders either!!

Hope this has helped!

Emma

Guest julie and chad

Hi that is very reassuring to no as we have just had a conversation with the agent as i was concerned and she said that we may have hit a snag coz chad has decorated since leaving school too although problem is he did it for his uncle who has own business for cash in hand for years then got a job at airbus as a semi skilled aircraft fitter for 8 years then has had his own business since last sept painting and decorating but the agency said there may be a problem because he hasnt officially been paid except for last year so may need a sponsor instead it has really put a downer on things so bit worried now our eldest daughter is called lauren too. do you no where we stand at all?

Guest julie and chad

:mad:Hi that is very reassuring to no as we have just had a conversation with the agent as i was concerned and she said that we may have hit a snag coz chad has decorated since leaving school too although problem is he did it for his uncle who has own business for cash in hand for years then got a job at airbus as a semi skilled aircraft fitter for 8 years then has had his own business since last sept painting and decorating but the agency said there may be a problem because he hasnt officially been paid except for last year so may need a sponsor instead it has really put a downer on things so bit worried now our eldest daughter is called lauren too. do you no where we stand at all?

Guest julie and chad

hi Karen thanks for that i think that we will need all the luck that we can get as we have hit a few snags already it is soooo complicated i am stressed already :oany advice is greatly appreciated julie

Hi

Not sure where you stand if you can't show proof of wages etc. I know Andy had to show National insurance records etc. Maybe you could try contacting another agent to see if they say the same.

Don't give up yet!!

Good Luck

Emma

Guest julie and chad

just feel like it is all going very wrong already ,feel totally disheartened but agency says that they could get us a sponsorship anyway but just feels bit depressing now hope it all works out were not giving up YET !!! How are you getting on have you sold your house yet ? are the girls excited ?julie:D

Hi Julie

I'm sure it will all work out.

Did put the house on the market in may, but then changed our minds because we had not heard anything regarding the visa. We are now going to wait until the visa is in our hands! The girls are really excited!

Let us know how you get on

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pob and Dinah

Hi Emma

Pob is a Painter and Decorator and we are in the process of applying to WA govt. for state sponsorship. We have TRA, but wondered how long it took you to get the ok on the state sponsorship - What visa are you going for.

We have 2 girls too Lottie 6 and Phoebe 3.

We have also been recommended Mandurah - by our friend in Perth, who says it is up and coming - but also she says now there is no limit to living outside the metro area, and there are some more coastal areas in the North. She is sending info in the post on properties.

We were thinking of visiting Perth in April - do you know if this is a good time to go?

Guest julie and chad
Hi Emma

Pob is a Painter and Decorator and we are in the process of applying to WA govt. for state sponsorship. We have TRA, but wondered how long it took you to get the ok on the state sponsorship - What visa are you going for.

We have 2 girls too Lottie 6 and Phoebe 3.

We have also been recommended Mandurah - by our friend in Perth, who says it is up and coming - but also she says now there is no limit to living outside the metro area, and there are some more coastal areas in the North. She is sending info in the post on properties.

We were thinking of visiting Perth in April - do you know if this is a good time to go?

hi dinah its julie think this message meant for emma lol julie

Hi welcome and Good luck. A good site to look on for suburbs is http://www.aussiemove.com it will give you a list of suburbs, there's a map to give you an idea of where they are and also an average house price for those areas. To give you an idea of travel times when looking at the map I live in Leeming which is a 15 min drive into the city (not in rush hour!!), a 20 min drive to Fremantle and I work in Armadale and the drive is 25 mins to work. We've been here since January and love it, feel very settled and content My daughter is 12 and my son just turned 8

Almost forgot: http://www.realestate.com.au will give you an idea of house prices

Ali

Hi Pob and Dinah

We had to wait about 8 weeks for sponsorship, but this was due to the list being updated. Our agent told us Painters were being added, but we had to wait for this to happen! Once the list changed I think we heard back within a week! So you should hear back a lot sooner. I think April would be a good time to visit - not so hot!! All being well we hope to be out there by then, perphaps we could meet up!

Good Luck

Emma

Guest Pob and Dinah

Hi Emma

Thanks for advice on sponsorship - We are really confused as things have changed since Sept 1st -

Agents 'Go Matilda' have been really helpful & given us some good info.

It would be great to meet up in April!!

Have you taken the girls on a visit yet - we are dreading the flight when we go!! Any tips?

Dinah