Senco in schools wa??

Broadly

Hi, moving to oz soon.

I just wondered if anyone knew if there were senco's in Perth schools or an equivalent?

In the uk they have a senco in the schools that would help children with learning difficulties.

I believe the job of a senco is to help children if they are struggling with reading, writing, behaviour or a condition such as autism plus and much more. They offer extra support to these children. Thanks in advance!

Hi, moving to oz soon.

I just wondered if anyone knew if there were senco's in Perth schools or an equivalent?

In the uk they have a senco in the schools that would help children with learning difficulties.

I believe the job of a senco is to help children if they are struggling with reading, writing, behaviour or a condition such as autism plus and much more. They offer extra support to these children. Thanks in advance!

I'd be interested in hearing the replies. My son hasn't been assessed as having dyslexia and isn't below national average but his school expect him to achieve above national level and recently he has been sent home with a book for dyslexics called Toe by Toe. It appears he gets certain letters confused like m and n, and b d and p. His current school is selective and they don't have much time for a child with learning difficulties so we are having to do extra coaching with him at home.

Edited by Lou8670

If be interested in hearing the replies. My son hasn't been assessed as having dyslexia and isn't below national average but his school expect him to achieve above national level and recently he has been sent home with a book for dyslexics called Toe by Toe. It appears he gets certain letters confused like m and n, and b d and p. His current school is selective and they don't have much time for a child with learning difficulties so we are having to do extra coaching with him at home.

Intresting lou! Yes my daughter is mild dyslexic but her school doe's have a senco. I also have a private tutor here in the uk to make sure she stays at bay! I wondered what the process in Perth is like for our children? I also have a child with mild cerebral palsy who is in main stream school here and does well. I wondered if Perth schools supported this too? Such a massive decision moving them schools especially when they struggle slightly. Looking forward to some replies!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but i have been told by a parent here that has a child with dyslexia that they dont actually recognise it here. She had to fight tooth and nail and go private to get it diagnosed and they now pay a private tutor.

I work as a special needs Education Asst in a school supporting a child with Autism so they do have support for other learning difficulties.

Lou

I am a British trained educational psychologist and also have a severely dyslexic son who completed year 12 in 2012 and started in kindly so can answer your questions. Sencos first. They aren't called sensors, more likely to be called learning support coordinators and there is a difference between govt and private schools. Govt schools vary, the school receives an allowance towards meeting the needs of kids with LD but it is up to them how they use this. Some will employ a teacher but more likely it is spent on more teaching assistants. It varies from school to school. They might put money into supporting kids in years 1 to 3 and then it fizzles out and the theory is that the teacher should be adapting the work to meet the needs. I've found teachers don't know too much about dyslexic but it is changing and there is much more training going on. Psychs seem to have been unsure about it too and how to diagnose it and will ask parents to have a private assessment - now almost $1000. They are also time constraints and they don't have time to do them. All govt and private schools have psych services and if you shout loud enough you may be lucky.

Catholic education is separate from the govt system and most govt schools employ learning support coordinators. I worked going round the catholic schools and they were much better at supporting kids with Ld. other private schools probably offer support too, depends on school. I've worked in a few western suburb high fee schools and they have great learning support departments.

dyslexia is recognised. It comes under the disability discrimination act ( specific learning difficulty) and if you want to be really stroppy you can start quoting that to the school if needs aren't being met. Dyslexics can get extra time in exams, my son also used a computer and used one for all lessons throughout high school.

In reality it is best to resign yourself to the fact that private individual tuition is the way to go. The WA dyslexia speld organisation is a good source of info.

Toe by toe is a terrific program so I would stick with it. If you can get a psych assessment through the school before you come to oz it may work out cheaper.

Choose your school carefully, ask how they support kids with dyslexia. We are non catholic but send my son to a catholic school because of its fantastic learning support department, and paid for private tuition.

Happy to answer further questions.

Thank you for your reply, very helpful! Hopefully moving out by May. I did go to perth 2 years ago and look at few schools, comet bay college, tramby and the catholic one in rockingham. I guess when we arrive I need to view them with my daughter and see which one is best for her needs. Private tuition sounds like a good idea. We have a tutor 1 hour a week here in the u.k and does help!

I am a British trained educational psychologist and also have a severely dyslexic son who completed year 12 in 2012 and started in kindly so can answer your questions. Sencos first. They aren't called sensors, more likely to be called learning support coordinators and there is a difference between govt and private schools. Govt schools vary, the school receives an allowance towards meeting the needs of kids with LD but it is up to them how they use this. Some will employ a teacher but more likely it is spent on more teaching assistants. It varies from school to school. They might put money into supporting kids in years 1 to 3 and then it fizzles out and the theory is that the teacher should be adapting the work to meet the needs. I've found teachers don't know too much about dyslexic but it is changing and there is much more training going on. Psychs seem to have been unsure about it too and how to diagnose it and will ask parents to have a private assessment - now almost $1000. They are also time constraints and they don't have time to do them. All govt and private schools have psych services and if you shout loud enough you may be lucky.

Catholic education is separate from the govt system and most govt schools employ learning support coordinators. I worked going round the catholic schools and they were much better at supporting kids with Ld. other private schools probably offer support too, depends on school. I've worked in a few western suburb high fee schools and they have great learning support departments.

dyslexia is recognised. It comes under the disability discrimination act ( specific learning difficulty) and if you want to be really stroppy you can start quoting that to the school if needs aren't being met. Dyslexics can get extra time in exams, my son also used a computer and used one for all lessons throughout high school.

In reality it is best to resign yourself to the fact that private individual tuition is the way to go. The WA dyslexia speld organisation is a good source of info.

Toe by toe is a terrific program so I would stick with it. If you can get a psych assessment through the school before you come to oz it may work out cheaper.

Choose your school carefully, ask how they support kids with dyslexia. We are non catholic but send my son to a catholic school because of its fantastic learning support department, and paid for private tuition.

Happy to answer further questions.

im interested in reading the replies to this post :-)

my daughter has type 1 diabetes, so she has medical needs and may need assistance sometimes throughout the day.

my understanding of a senco in the uk is to make sure they are aware of the childs needs and makes sure they get the help they need.

this was not the case in our previous school unfortunately.

i do wonder what will happen when we go to australia, think there is 1 child in my friends school that has type 1.

lauren will be nearly 11 so mostly self managing.

Hi, moving to oz soon.

im interested in reading the replies to this post :-)

my daughter has type 1 diabetes, so she has medical needs and may need assistance sometimes throughout the day.

my understanding of a senco in the uk is to make sure they are aware of the childs needs and makes sure they get the help they need.

this was not the case in our previous school unfortunately.

i do wonder what will happen when we go to australia, think there is 1 child in my friends school that has type 1.

lauren will be nearly 11 so mostly self managing.

The school I worked at had 2 diabetic kids and they were looked after tremendously.