Looking for a long term rental (3 bedroom) in South of Perth from June 2014

Ana84

Hello,

This is the first time ive posted on here. Seems like a good site.

My family and I (husband and 2 small children) are moving to Perth in June 2014. I've got a job in Murdoch.

I'd like to arrange a long term rental prior to arriving. Preferably a three bedroom house near to where Im going to work.

I have heard loads on how competitive it can be to get a decent place but also that its very difficult to arrange a rental while here in the UK.

Is this right?

I would be very grateful if someone can give me some tips/info on what to do!

Thank u very much in advance!!

Hannah

Hi,

Congratulations on the job and the move! I've read loads on this subject as myself and my family are heading to Perth in July and the general consensus seems to be that it's pretty hard to arrange a lease from the UK. It may be possible if you find something on Gumtree, but I don't think you'll find one through a letting agent. Someone may pop up with some hints and tips to help, but I'd definitely have a look for a holiday let for the first few weeks. That way you'll know you have somewhere to start with, but you're not committed to it long term, just in case the house or the area isn't right for you or you find somewhere you prefer? We chose to rent a place for a month from Ozhouserentals.com who incidentally couldn't have been more helpful, but I've heard really good things on here about stayz.com too.

Good luck with everything,

Debs x

Yeah, we've booked a place for the whole of August (we land on the 1st) and it was really good value. It's only $60 a week more than we've budgeted for our 'proper' place, and of course it's fully furnished. The letting agents use a points system for identity checks, and from what I gather we'll need to set up a few local things to enable us to get enough points, driving licences, bank statements etc. We're only using a move cube as quite a lot of our furniture is due to be replaced anyway, so we've got that month to find a place and get the major things. We have only managed to narrow our choice down to 4 areas so we've got lots of exploring to do, not to mention visiting schools and finding places. I'm starting to think we should have booked for 2 months? :smile2:

Yeah, we've booked a place for the whole of August (we land on the 1st) and it was really good value. It's only $60 a week more than we've budgeted for our 'proper' place, and of course it's fully furnished. The letting agents use a points system for identity checks, and from what I gather we'll need to set up a few local things to enable us to get enough points, driving licences, bank statements etc. We're only using a move cube as quite a lot of our furniture is due to be replaced anyway, so we've got that month to find a place and get the major things. We have only managed to narrow our choice down to 4 areas so we've got lots of exploring to do, not to mention visiting schools and finding places. I'm starting to think we should have booked for 2 months? :smile2:

deb where is your rental ( we arrive the week before you) where are your 4 areas... perhaps its somewhere near. Eek! exciting stuff

Thanks for that Debs.

So im assuming your arranging a holiday let when u arrive? are they expensive?

PS) we have done the same, booked for 6 weeks and then will see what we can find. If you have a longer holiday let, Im told that the owner can provide a reference for your new landlord which may help things along when trying to secure a longer term let. Good luck,,, we used stayz

167 days and counting! We've rented a 3 bed in Rockingham for August, and were considering (in no particular order) Rockingham, Mandurah, Fremantle and Canning Vale. I think Canning Vale is the rank outsider at the moment because everyone wants to be as close to the coast as possible. I was originally keen because there are some really good schools, and lots of good feedback on the area but we've decided to go private so we don't have to worry about catchment areas. We've got one in primary and one in high school so it was worrying me a bit that we would find 2 schools that the kids both liked and then find a rental, all in the overlapping catchment area and all in the space of 4 weeks?!

what about you? How are your plans coming along?

167 days and counting! We've rented a 3 bed in Rockingham for August, and were considering (in no particular order) Rockingham, Mandurah, Fremantle and Canning Vale. I think Canning Vale is the rank outsider at the moment because everyone wants to be as close to the coast as possible. I was originally keen because there are some really good schools, and lots of good feedback on the area but we've decided to go private so we don't have to worry about catchment areas. We've got one in primary and one in high school so it was worrying me a bit that we would find 2 schools that the kids both liked and then find a rental, all in the overlapping catchment area and all in the space of 4 weeks?!

what about you? How are your plans coming along?

where have u booked for your short term holiday rental? Looking for somewhere in the south and cheap!

thank u

Rockingham for the first 4 weeks. As it's the middle of winter we didn't worry about the distance to the beach or whether it had a pool. I figure we'll be pretty busy anyway. It's good that you know where you'll be working and there's lots of lovely areas to choose from where you can get to Murdoch easily. If you email Tracey at ozhouserentals and tell her where you'll be working and what sort of commuting time you'd consider I'm sure she'll let you know what's available. She was really helpful, although like I said there's lots of good feedback on here about all the main holiday let people.